• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Free Monty

Q_The_Cop

Beware Clown!
Just received my free Monty from Altadis in the mail today. I wasn't thinking about it, the ad said 6 to 8 weeks for delivery and I ordered it about 5 days ago. But something told me to check tonight, and lo and behold there it was. It looked great, no flaws, and smelled great too. it passed the "squeeze" test. (had just enough spring to it). My question is has anyone tried this yet I believe it's the Montecristo White. I'm gonna let it marinate for a couple of weeks before I fire it up. I also ordered the 3 RyJ Habana Reserves from Altadis the same night, so maybe I'll get those in the next day or so too :D

The one I got sat in the humi for about 2 weeks before I smoked it. I was not impressed at all. Over-tight draw, hot, harsh smoke, no real flavor to speak of. I only smoked it about half-way before giving up on it.

I had requested the sample because I was looking to add Montecristo to my regular portfolio of purchases, but based on the sample, I have decided not to buy any at all.

I have had a few of the NC Monte's over my year and half smoking cigars. I have found them to be fair to good smokes. No major problems with the whites, classics, afriques, but did have a bad experience with a platinum. All in all not a bad smoke, but you can pick up the Padron X000's series for less and to they are better smokes.

I have had a few of the NC Monte's over my year and half smoking cigars. I have found them to be fair to good smokes. No major problems with the whites, classics, afriques, but did have a bad experience with a platinum. All in all not a bad smoke, but you can pick up the Padron X000's series for less and to they are better smokes.

I agree. The few Monte's I have had have smoked very well, but are not so flavorful. A Padron, IMO, has a similar taste profile and strength, but with a bolder punch to the flavor. For the price, it is an easy choice. :thumbs:

The free one I got was pretty good, but some portions of the cigar just tasted like hot air. I've got the second free one still sitting in my humi... Not sure why they sent me two, but I am not going to complain about free sticks!

Over priced, over hyped, and still clinging to the reputation of its cuban brother. Much better torp's out there for the money.

Over priced, over hyped, and still clinging to the reputation of its cuban brother. Much better torp's out there for the money.

You can say that for just about every appropriated trade name. Which isn't to say that dominican Montecristos are bad cigars. It's no offense to be second-best to a top-line cuban marque. And what the hell, Altadis is giving them away, which makes them the best kind of cigars: free cigars.

(Reminds me of my college orientation. The answer to 'what's your favorite kind of beer, frosh!' is always 'free beer!' What else do you say to someone with their skin dyed purple and sporting a mohawk?)

By the way, interesting choice for a first post.

Always remember as you said, "they are giving them away." If free is your favorite cigar, stop by if you get to the NW corner of PA and I'll let you have a few new favorites. I only give away cigars in here that have major problems or are not selling, and then warn as needed.

As for A Dominican Monte being 2nd best to a Cuban Monte, please tell me you forgot the emoticon.

Also, for the 1st post comment, I have been around here for quite some time and have no idea why my posts got reset. Although I post very infequently.

Ditto this report as I got mine a week ago. I'd say for the price it was great, how do you beat free?

Since we're on the topic of NC Montecristo's... my friends rather like the Montecristo Serie C. I have a neutral opinion about them, though. I usually smoke a Hemingway while they smoke their Serie C's. :)