• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Freezing Cigars

FatherTiresius

Watcher of the Skies
When I first started collecting cigars, I didn't worry too much about beetles (weevils, whatever you want to call the little critters). But recently, with my collection sporting an increasing number of spendy sticks, and with the onset of warmer weather here, I decided to go ahead and freeze everything just to be on the safe side. They all seemed to come through the process just fine. I froze them for about 3 days and then gently returned them to room temp first in the fridge and then in my coolerdor.

But I was wondering what you guys think about freezing. What's the consensus here? Do you think it's a good idea? Do you think it does any harm? Do you think it's even necessary? Also, if most folks here routinely freeze their smokes, then when I do a trade or a pass with you, I won't bother to freeze them again. Whatcha think?

JR's freeze theirs as I am told...I have a 150 count humi and I don't freeze...the avg temp in my house is 72-75...But at the same time, I don't open my humi in the afternoon when it is hottest and driest. I would suggest finding a closet on the East side of the house and put your smokes there...closest's dont have much circulation and they will stay cooler on avg. ...East side because morning sun is cooler than afternoon...I suppose you could hang up thermometers to see if this holds true...Some parts have the added advantage of a tree or if you are lucky, a basment. If you really think you have a reason to worry, pick the smallest room that has a vent(no bathrooms silly), and take the vent off...then go to the bathroom and the kitchen and shut the vents...do what ever you feel is worth it...but I live in real heat and don't have problems...Maybe the best route is to seperate the spendy sticks form the rest...and just do a daily check on the important ones...just my long winded 2 cents

Emo

In general I freeze most things that have been in transit for more than a couple of days. 3 days deep freeze, 2 days in the fridge, a day at room temp and then back to the "aging" humidor where they stay for a minimum of three weeks to regulate themselves. This is true for the summer months. During the cooler months I slack off a bit.

I used to freeze all cigars (except the ones bought a retailers). MattR's formula is a tried and proven method. I followed it with great sucess and only had two WOAs explode on me during the fride stage.

You will fond that the beattles are supposed to hatch at temps above 85 degrees so in theroy if you keep your humi at 69-75 you should not have any problems.

As my (now depleted) collection got bigger and it included pricy cigars I found it better to quarenteen (sp?) all new cigars in a smaller humidor for 4-6 months before transefering them to my Aritocrat.

I not only keep the Aritocrat and other humis at 69-71 RH, I also have them in one of the coolest rooms in the house were it it always between 68-72 degrees even in the hotest time in south Texas.

Just my 2 cents

I started freezing all of my cigars last year because of a rash of cigar beetles from different suppliers. I; personally, have not had any problem with beetles, but as the dollar value and rarity of inventory increases...I am not taking any chances. I ran across an Israeli cigar retailer last fall that keeps their entire inventory frozen...all the time. I have not had any problem at all with the cigars that were frozen...none. If you follow Matt's general rule of thumb and don't temperature shock the cigars by going from hot to cold or vice versa...you won't have any problems. I have yet to find any problems with taste degradation from freezing, which was one of my major concerns. My opinion is that freezing is good insurance and has no negative effects.

Sam J.

Thanks for all the responses. I haven't had a problem yet either, Sam, but like you, started freezing as a preventative. Over at a.s.c it's pretty much a consensus that you freeze everything. I was just wondering if opinions here were similar. I use something very similar to Matt's 3-2-1 protocol and as far as I can tell, haven't suffered any ill effects of the freezing. Also I've heard that even though the beetles aren't supposed to hatch below 75 degrees, that it's possible for them to hatch at lower temps (down to 65 I think I read somewhere). I try to keep my sticks as cool as possible, but I don't have AC and we're already having a warm summer here. So that just added to my concern. Thanks again....any other opinions wanna weigh in?

I freeze all incoming cigars that won't be smoked in there and then. Otherwise three days freezer, then 1 day in fridge, then the igloodor.
I once had a small infestation of beetles. Ever smoke a cigar with more holes than a flute? Not fun.