• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Freezing cigars

Could someone shed some light on the freezing concept for me and maybe offer a recommendation if I should freeze or not. I live in dry ass Arizona so it's always hot and never humid.
thanks,
Robert ???

Freezing your cigars eliminates the possibility of a tobacco beetle infestation in your humidor. As you can see from the posts some do it others don't. I have had beetles ruin my smokes so I do it, I have never noticed a diference between the flavors of frozen or unfrozen cigars. If you are going to freeze them you have to start out by placing your sticks in a bag in the fridge for 1 day then move them to the freezer for 3 days(lowest setting) then back to the fridge for 1 day then to room temp. The beetles remain dormant as long as the temp in your humidor stays below 70 once you start going above that you run the risk of having a problem

Is it the temperature or the humidity (or a combination) that hatches the beetles.

I'm in Okinawa (tropical / sub/tropical island) and have never froze, but not had a problem yet either. My humidors stay in an nice AC place that doesn't get above 70 deg, but I'm wondering about the next typhoon and power loss....

The one time I had a problem it was a result of the temp getting to high my humidity was fine. And I have been told that temp is what you wan to watch out for.