• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

French customs impounds

sack

'From man's sweat and God's love, beer came to be.
Read this on another board so i figured somebody here would be interested. Seems a shipment from Panama to HONG KONG was impounded in late august with said cigars. .............................The fake cigars are said to be valued at $464,000. This info has me thinking of all the botls that are being deceived by these unscrupulous people. The cigar bands, boxes and papers of authenticity are said to perfect in every way. If i'm wrong please let me know. :0 :( ???

Very interesting. I couldn't find anything online about it. Do you have a link to a news story?

Translation courtesy of BabelFish:

Roissy: seized of 35.390 false cuban cigars the customs officers of the cell of targeting of the freight of Roissy have just carried out their fourth seizure of cigars of the counterfeit in four months and most important realized in France to date, with 35.390 cigars of a value estimated at more than 365 000 euros. These forgeries were particularly difficult to detect, insofar as they formed part of a batch of 100.000 articles, coming from Panama and bound for HongKong, of which two thirds were authentic. With the assistance of an expert, the customs officers however managed "to disentangle the truth of the forgery" and to extract from the loading 1.612 boxes of counterfeits of several very known marks of cuban cigars, in particular MONTECRISTO, PARTAGAS, BOLIVAR, COHIBA, DIPLOMATICOS... This observation is the fourth carried out by the customs officers of Roissy since May 2, which confirms the emergence of a current of fraud of this type of product, because no seizure of cigars of counterfeit had been carried out in France before this date. The seizure of May 2 related to 4.618 cigars and 1.053 labels originating in Dominican Republic and bound for. The second, June 7, 6.400 cigars coming from Guatemala and bound for Saint-Marteen. The third, July 10, 30.755 empty boxes and 51.000 labels counterfeiting marks HABANOS OF CUBA and COHIBA. The loading was coming from Bulgaria and bound for the Dominican Republic, where the false cigars were probably produced for which this packing was intended.

$13 per counterfeit cigars? :(

If I read this right, 2/3 of the cigars were legit. That means that someone is doing some cutting at the distributor level. How are the retailers supposed to know? And yes, I do realize that legit retailers should ensure that their sources are unscrupulous.

Good thing that I live in the US and don’t buy Cubans, counterfeit or otherwise….

Does this mean Vitasea's customers will be experiencing delays in the fulfillment of their orders?

Bump for the monday guys at work. :cool:

thanks for the bump, fascinating story. So the distributors are cutting their shippments with bogus cigars? Or do you think it was just an unscrupulous merchant? Additionally why would cuban cigars be moving from Panama to HONG KONG of Cuban cigars. I would think that HK would be getting them from Cuba rather then a third party. No?

Too bad there isn't a more precise destination listed... :angry:

Does this mean Vitasea's customers will be experiencing delays in the fulfillment of their orders?
c'mon Moki, you know he has his own private shipping company.... :D

Will they be sending the 35,000 cigars to Wilkey for his analysis?

thanks for the bump, fascinating story. So the distributors are cutting their shippments with bogus cigars? Or do you think it was just an unscrupulous merchant? Additionally why would cuban cigars be moving from Panama to HONG KONG of Cuban cigars. I would think that HK would be getting them from Cuba rather then a third party. No?
It's just troubling to know they were going to Hong Kong, and that's all i'm saying. :D :cool:

Translation courtesy of BabelFish:

Roissy: seized of 35.390 false cuban cigars the customs officers of the cell of targeting of the freight of Roissy have just carried out their fourth seizure of cigars of the counterfeit in four months and most important realized in France to date, with 35.390 cigars of a value estimated at more than 365 000 euros. These forgeries were particularly difficult to detect, insofar as they formed part of a batch of 100.000 articles, coming from Panama and bound for HongKong, of which two thirds were authentic. With the assistance of an expert, the customs officers however managed "to disentangle the truth of the forgery" and to extract from the loading 1.612 boxes of counterfeits of several very known marks of cuban cigars, in particular MONTECRISTO, PARTAGAS, BOLIVAR, COHIBA, DIPLOMATICOS... This observation is the fourth carried out by the customs officers of Roissy since May 2, which confirms the emergence of a current of fraud of this type of product, because no seizure of cigars of counterfeit had been carried out in France before this date. The seizure of May 2 related to 4.618 cigars and 1.053 labels originating in Dominican Republic and bound for. The second, June 7, 6.400 cigars coming from Guatemala and bound for Saint-Marteen. The third, July 10, 30.755 empty boxes and 51.000 labels counterfeiting marks HABANOS OF CUBA and COHIBA. The loading was coming from Bulgaria and bound for the Dominican Republic, where the false cigars were probably produced for which this packing was intended.
I didn't know Wilkey was in France recently. :sign:

It's just troubling to know they were going to Hong Kong, and that's all i'm saying. :D :cool:

My thoughts exactly..

Is it possible to buy things from HK? I thought they used a different currency over there... :laugh: