• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

frequent relights

Smokin'Sims

Gettin' my nerd on, Hopp Schwiez!
I've been enjoying these past few weeks (2-3) of pipe smoking and have a question or two. From reading through Alan's pinned intro, it seems relights are common; however, I seem to be relighting every 3 minutes or so. It is worse with the new blend than with the Prince Albert. Is this frequency of relights due to my lack of skill and practice at packing or due to the moisture of the new blend? The new blend seems significantly wetter than the previous tobacco. Thanks.

if you are having to relight prince albert more than twice, you probably have a packing/tamping
problem. are you using the 3-step method when packing?

also, most pipe tobacco is too wet when it comes out of a fresh pouch/tin, so you could try drying the tobacco
prior to lighting.

What's the new blend? You've probably got a tamping problem. PA is fairly forgiving when packing. Old timers just put the bowl in the can and pack away. Nothing fancy, no three step etc. If your new blend is a VA flake of some sort, then packing is much more critical.

Doc.

Are you relighting as much with the Prince Albert? If so, you've got a packing problem.

Try drying this mystery blend out and keep working on your packing method. You don't have to get too caught up in it, but the pack is pretty important. Relighting every 3 minutes is going to produce a pretty wet and nasty smoke.

I do not have to relight the Prince Albert much. The mystery blend is a house blend from a local B&M. For further details I'm using a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe and trying to use the method of packing that is described in the pinned post. I tried Frank's method on the first bowl and had to relight so switched back to Alan's method. I'll try Alan's method again tonight and try putting more attention to the tamping and I'll let some dry a bit to see the difference. Thanks for the help guys.

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' post='693294' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:00 PM']I do not have to relight the Prince Albert much. The mystery blend is a house blend from a local B&M. For further details I'm using a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe and trying to use the method of packing that is described in the pinned post. I tried Frank's method on the first bowl and had to relight so switched back to Alan's method. I'll try Alan's method again tonight and try putting more attention to the tamping and I'll let some dry a bit to see the difference. Thanks for the help guys.[/quote]

A lot of house blends are pretty moist, so some drying out may help.

Also, just to set the record straight, the packing method I describe in the sticky isn't really "my" method. It's the method I use the most, but it is a method I was made aware of and taught by fellow pipe smokers. It's really just a long winded description of a pretty long used filling method. :)

Try not to make this harder than it really is. Europeans have been smoking pipes for over 300 yrs. Native Americans much longer. All without the internet. Remember, most of us started pipe smoking before the information age and we learned by trial and error. It still the best way, in my opinion.

Doc.

I agree with Doc. Don't sweat it. Practice, practice, practice!! It'll come with time. All of a sudden one day I just "got it". Hang in there.

Mike