• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fridge Humidor.

Looks like a good project... Once you get things going, please be sure to post some pictures... I am sure everyone, including myself, would love to see it in action. :D

check your local home depot, i have seen one similar for the same money around here.

Will you be actually using the cooling aspect of the fridge at all? I read somewhere around here recently about how it's not good to use a fridge because it sucks humidity out of the air, or something like that.

If someone else remembers what I'm talking about please post, or if you search around you may come accross it as well.

Gonz said:
Will you be actually using the cooling aspect of the fridge at all? I read somewhere around here recently about how it's not good to use a fridge because it sucks humidity out of the air, or something like that.

If someone else remembers what I'm talking about please post, or if you search around you may come accross it as well.
[snapback]235354[/snapback]​
agreed andy, i remember somthing to that effect posted a few months back during the summer heat.

Rob_k said:
Gonz said:

[snapback]235354[/snapback]​
agreed andy, i remember somthing to that effect posted a few months back during the summer heat.
[snapback]235384[/snapback]​

The problem with using wine coolers is that they do not allow for the precise temp and humidity adjustment we cigar lovers need most of the time. The temp control is not too bad but the humidity regulators are very hard to pin down to the 70-73% range. Of course they are not meant to do this and this is why. I know Eurocave makes a unit just for this purpose and is cedar lined but they run in the upper $3k range.

Regular refridgeration uses a compressor and coils and cools the air, during this process it removes the humidity. A wine cooler with thermoelectric cooling basicaly introduces cold to the air in turn making it colder. Just like putting an ice pack in a cooler. Wine also needs humidity. Some models also allow you to adjust the humidity along with temp. A good thermoelectric wine cooler and a humidifier would work like a champ on cigars. Avoid getting the humidity to high or condensation will form inside the unit. A cigar oasis might be the way to go.

I'm using the above system with a good credo, no prob with condensation. Temp runs at 65. Humidity at 70%.

Did the info on that unit include the RH it maintains?
If it did, I missed it.
We all know that that maintaining proper RH (as well as temperature) is crucial

And...

it ain't BIG enough! :rolleyes:

I have a 35 wine bottle capacity cooler. It doesn't have any adj. for humidity itself. I think it carries about 40% with nothing. Like I said before I have a humidifier in it and it holds dead on 70%.

This unit uses a thermoelectric unit and not a compressor like many units. Do not confuse the two as they both cool differently as stated above. Long story short..... Compressor bad - Thermoelectric good!

My advice would be to forget about lining it with cedar. You will only be taking away room and from the looks of the dimention on this thing you don't have much to give. The cigar boxes will be all the cedar you need.

Many folks have have good luck converting these to humidors.

Good luck!

A thermoelectric will pull humidity out of the air if it's cold enough. The humidity being taken out is solely due to temperature differential. Evaporators generally run 10 degrees lower than target temperature. I don't know about thermoelectrics (obviously they run cooler but I don't know how much) but if you're keeping it in a climate controlled room it shouldn't be too bad. The one thing I do know about controlling humidity and condensation is that you never can know what's going to happen.

Allofus123 said:
This unit uses a thermoelectric unit and not a compressor like many units. Do not confuse the two as they both cool differently as stated above. Long story short..... Compressor bad - Thermoelectric good!

My advice would be to forget about lining it with cedar. You will only be taking away room and from the looks of the dimention on this thing you don't have much to give. The cigar boxes will be all the cedar you need.
[snapback]235451[/snapback]​

You are correct, Thermoelectric is safe for Cigars. Perhaps, I should just get cedar trays. I think a pound of 65% beads would be enough, if not I will look into oasis. I will also post pictuers once the project is done.

Thanks guys.

Good find! That would be an excellent alternative to those who live in a warmer climate and dont have AC!

I was advised by a cigar homping guru that compressor or thermoelectric can be used... best to maintainthe humidity and prevent too much condensation is to keep the cigars in small humidors and place in the cooler for the temperature control. In Singapore the temperature is high so using this method, we can keep our cigars in the best temperature and humidity range. I am planning to do this myself using beads to control the humidity

Rob_k said:
check your local home depot,
[snapback]235068[/snapback]​

NO!!!! absolutely DO NOT check home depot. Check your local LOWE'S instead. :p

I would love to see photos of the finished project since it looks like it might be a great option for me.

Thanks,

Kro

Sorry to let you guys down, I have not started this project.

It is getting pretty cool around SoCal. Therefore, I am putting it together next spring or perhaps sooner. This way I will have more cigars to justify the purcahse. :laugh:

Regards