• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Friggin mold

Just out of curiosity, and not to threadjack, but what would cause mold in one specific cigar over others? On the same token, what would be the cause of more beetle infestations in one specific cigar (Graycliff?) than others.

Edit to add: I don't have either brands of cigars, through my reading I've just seen that the Anejo's have more of a tendency to have mold and Graycliffs have more of a tendency to have a beetle infestation.

It or they are on the tobacco when it's rolled, in the factory where they're rolled or in the aging rooms. Then all it takes are the right conditions....

I checked a 46 from 08 and it looked fine & my sharks also look fine. I will be keeping a closer eye on them now though.

Whew! :rolleyes: Checked = No Mold! :thumbs:

But did find a few tasty sticks to smoke tonight!!! :0 ... a few shagged feet and "slightly" damaged wrappers that need to be torched.
Thanks Matt

I hate hearing this as I have boxes still in the original wrap from 04 through current. I'm way to lazy too go through all that stuff.

tone it's allright, send it to me i will inspect them for mold and test their fire resistant proporties, see how well they hold up against fire and if they allow smoke to be passed through, so that the tobacco doesnt get smoke inhalation

tone it's allright, send it to me i will inspect them for mold and test their fire resistant proporties, see how well they hold up against fire and if they allow smoke to be passed through, so that the tobacco doesnt get smoke inhalation

I have hazard insurance for stuff like this :whistling: I thank you for the kind offer though.

hey always here to help, and there will be a bunch of us on sat at the quad-state testing facility that can help you out too, so just bring them along and we will do our best.

I picked up a box of 46's and 50"s before Xmas. I opened them and removed the humipacks at that time. Just checked one of the 50's today. appeared OK. Last year I had a box of 46's that had some mold. I wiped them down with a paper towel lightly damp with distilled water, sat them in the sun for around 1/2 hour, returned then to the humidor and the few I still have are fine. I will have to strip the rest later for a closer inspection. Thanks for the heads up.

Now it's on my 55s as well. Just frickin' peachy!

I had this happen on a fiver of Sharks from '07. I smoked one, took the cedar off the rest, wiped them down and the remaining 4 have been fine ever since.
Personally, I would never leave the cedar on another Anejo - period.

I had this happen on a fiver of Sharks from '07. I smoked one, took the cedar off the rest, wiped them down and the remaining 4 have been fine ever since.

Sharks don't have cedar.... ???

Either you mean 55s or you took the cello off. The 07 Sharks are known to have mold problems due to the humidipacks they used.

Sharks don't have cedar.... ???

Either you mean 55s or you took the cello off. The 07 Sharks are known to have mold problems due to the humidipacks they used.

Sorry. Right. Removed the cello and ribbon.

The wrappers are so oily. My 55's from '07 were dripping with oils. I take all cello and cedar off my Anejos. It really looks pretty and all to keep it on but I'd rather have mold free smokes instead.

I had mold problems w/ my box of 49's. Lost 1/2 of them to mold that eventually reached the foot. They don't have the cedar anymore as it was too difficult to check them w/ the cedar on.

I had mold problems w/ my box of 49's. Lost 1/2 of them to mold that eventually reached the foot. They don't have the cedar anymore as it was too difficult to check them w/ the cedar on.

Ehhh time to check under the cedar of my anejos..

I just checked mine last night, and thankfully all is well

Dammit, time to inspect last year's batch. The only upside to this is the last time it happened, I ended up with enough singles to age out of their cello and cedar sleeves. It will be interesting to compare aging them this way.

I have had my 46 for over a year, so it (it being one stick) must be from 2007. I have checked it a few times and it has been fine. I hope when I check it today it has a little mold on it. That way I will have an excuse to smoke it. Then I will have an excuse to find some more Anejo for the humidor.