• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Frigidor project

Hello again everyone!

I have had my wine cooler plugged in for a few days now. The digital readout on the cooler itself reads 62-63 degrees everytime I have checked on it for 3 days straight. I have two digital hygrometers with temperature readout and they both read 70 degrees. My RH shows 54 on one and 57 on the other. The units are identical (Radio Shack) and sit side by side two inches apart on a rack towards the lower middle of the unit. Anyone else had this situation with the cooler?

Thanks for any input!

Rob

Swap them and see if the number follow the insturment. I am guessing that will be the case. I think I have 4lbs of beads in mine. 1 Heartfelt and 3 kittylitter. seems pretty solid at 64%

I will do that. What about the temperature though. Have you noticed the reading inside not matching the digital read out on the unit itself? 7-8 degrees difference seems like a lot.

Take that black grill off in the back in the unit (inside) move that wire that is just hanging out in there (looks like it has a little black cap on it) further away from the cold source that way you will be taking a sample of the air further away from the actual coldest point in the box.

I have also found that the digital readout on the cooler is off but I just set it lower and watch my hygro. I set the cooler at 64 and it stays bewteen 68-69 in real life.

As for the water runoff and humidity issues, I think I may have solved mine. My beads were drying fast and I was pooling water at the bottom. My solution: I channeled the water runoff into the beads. I placed a large glass plate full of beads on the very bottom and used a piece of plastic (3 ring binder divider) which is slightly cupped and routed it into the bead tray. So not only am I taking care of the water build up, I am rewetting the beads automatically. I just did this a few days ago so I will post pics and results later and possibly in a new thread. So far it is holding temp btween 67 and 70, and humidity between 64 and 68.

My spanish cedar arrived today. I also went ahead with the three tray humidor I listed above via a link from cigarextras.com. This will give me enough room for 250 smokes plus I should still be able to place one rack at the top for four bottles of wine for mama ;).

My wine fridge states that it will keep the temp with +- 10 degrees of the set point. Just a heads up.

My wine fridge states that it will keep the temp with +- 10 degrees of the set point. Just a heads up.

That would be about right then. Set at 60 on the cooler, both temp gauges are at 68 and have been for two days now. No biggie as i will keep a gauge where I can see it thru the door once it is complete. I will try and figure out how to post some pics when I get done.

Okay.......... lets see if I can get a picture to load in here.................

As you can see there is enough room for the humidor and the rack up at the top (sorry for the flash). Its in its 7th hour of seasoning and the temperature inside the humiodr is 68 at the moment and the RH at 80% (started as high as 91). Not sure about the 250 smokes though. I have my spanish cedar so if I need to take her out and re-do it then it shouldn't be a problem.

On a side note, cigarextras.com were great to deal with. Actually got my humidor in about three days by regular shipping fees (less than $14.00) and it was delivered on SATURDAY! The box was packed so TIGHT and had enough packaging that I think it could have been dropped and rolled a few times and it would not have touched it! Thanks a lot to those guys!

P6030178_edited.jpg

Hello again everyone!

I have had my wine cooler plugged in for a few days now. The digital readout on the cooler itself reads 62-63 degrees everytime I have checked on it for 3 days straight. I have two digital hygrometers with temperature readout and they both read 70 degrees. My RH shows 54 on one and 57 on the other. The units are identical (Radio Shack) and sit side by side two inches apart on a rack towards the lower middle of the unit. Anyone else had this situation with the cooler?

Thanks for any input!

Rob

Swap them and see if the number follow the insturment. I am guessing that will be the case. I think I have 4lbs of beads in mine. 1 Heartfelt and 3 kittylitter. seems pretty solid at 64%

I will do that. What about the temperature though. Have you noticed the reading inside not matching the digital read out on the unit itself? 7-8 degrees difference seems like a lot.

Take that black grill off in the back in the unit (inside) move that wire that is just hanging out in there (looks like it has a little black cap on it) further away from the cold source that way you will be taking a sample of the air further away from the actual coldest point in the box.

Good call Interscape... There is a little wire (look like a bulb on the end) on the top left of the fan on the inside of the VT... If you put your Hygro on top of the fan next to this wire, the temps will match! (I get excited easily...)... Moving this wire toward the bottom-middle of the unit would sure make the temp gauge on the VT more reliable, but there is no slack to do so...???? I don't know if I want to cut/extend the wire...

As a side-note, is there an issue with the unit fluctuating its temp +/- 10 degrees??? Will the cigars suffer in any way?

Regards,

BT

BT,

I am also in the same boat with the temp variation. Mine reads 54 on the unit, but the actual temp on the center shelf is 64-65f.

I would sure like to extend that wire a touch and place that bulb on the back of that center shelf to get an accurate reading, and also drop the temp a degree or two. It is at its coldest setting when the door reads 54, so I guess by relocating the bulb the cooler could actually be a bit more efficient......

Very interesting, I am going to dig into this a bit.

Also if you guys discover your units are not draining do not be surprised. The drain is a piss poor design, it is not a straight thru drain , it goes down then hits an elbow and then down and out, and even better mine was clogged with the insulating foam from the assembly line. I drilled straight thru with a 3/8" drill bit right out the bottom of the cabinet then epoxied a plastic tube in place, so I can either have it drain into the pan or slip a drain line over the protruding plastic tube and use a plastic bottle to catch the condensation. I tried both and it now works like a charm. That sounds bad but it was an easy fix, and now there is absolutely no residual condensation in the cooler.

see ya

Mike

On a side note, cigarextras.com were great to deal with. Actually got my humidor in about three days by regular shipping fees (less than $14.00) and it was delivered on SATURDAY! The box was packed so TIGHT and had enough packaging that I think it could have been dropped and rolled a few times and it would not have touched it! Thanks a lot to those guys!

That has been my experience as well. Although I haven't purchased anything from them, I was considering buying a humi a while back and Mike was fantastic at getting back to me and answering every one of my questions.