• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

From cigars to pipes.....

rx2man

Banned
Hello to everyone over here,
Started with "real" cigars this last Christmas and am going to give pipes a try now.
Tired of grabbing a stick and finding it still needs more rest, so I am going to let some of them do just that and decided to give pipes a try.

Ordered a coupe cheapie cob pipes, a English blend sampler from pipes and cigar and some Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. Am thinking to try some of the Carter Hall as well, down the street at CVS. Read the FAQ's and seem to cover everything so just saying hello.

Started with "real" cigars this last Christmas and am going to give pipes a try now.
Tired of grabbing a stick and finding it still needs more rest, so I am going to let some of them do just that and decided to give pipes a try.

Ordered a coupe cheapie cob pipes, a English blend sampler from pipes and cigar and some Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Fluke. Am thinking to try some of the Carter Hall as well, down the street at CVS. Read the FAQ's and seem to cover everything so just saying hello.

Man, good luck stuffing a flounder into your pipe and smoking it. Doesn't sound very appetizing to me but hey, smoke what you like! :sign:

Keep in mind that pipes are a very different experience from cigars so don't give up if you don't get packing and lighting down right away. It takes a lot of patience but its quite rewarding. Just out of curiosity, what smokes are you buying that have gotten you so frustrated that each one needs more rest? I find it hard to believe that you can't find one stick out there that you can enjoy right away.

Anyway, good luck with the pipe!

Ordered a coupe cheapie cob pipes, a English blend sampler from pipes and cigar and some Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Fluke. Am thinking to try some of the Carter Hall as well, down the street at CVS. Read the FAQ's and seem to cover everything so just saying hello.

Man, good luck stuffing a flounder into your pipe and smoking it. Doesn't sound very appetizing to me but hey, smoke what you like! :sign:

Keep in mind that pipes are a very different experience from cigars so don't give up if you don't get packing and lighting down right away. It takes a lot of patience but its quite rewarding. Just out of curiosity, what smokes are you buying that have gotten you so frustrated that each one needs more rest? I find it hard to believe that you can't find one stick out there that you can enjoy right away.

Anyway, good luck with the pipe!

I changed that.....I would have to look up a Fluke (wierd looking sucker fish with teeth) to be sure but I dont think I want to eat one, much less smoke one.

I dont think I am allowed to talk about ISOM's anymore as my threads tend to go downhill fast.

I lit up a Gurkha yesterday that was a turd was a Maduro XO with 6 mos on it. The Rocky Patel Renassaince was not much better, been looking at them since Feb of this yr. A fuller bodied AB that was not that good. My allergies kicked in about 4 weeks ago and have messed up my sticks. The 2 that have still been consistantly really good even with allergies are the AB Family Blend and the CAO Anniv Maduro. I hate smoking 1/3rd of a RP Ren, tastes like crap and tossing it (The 1st 2 in a sampler were REALLY nice). So I figured next time I am going to cut a inch off one and smoke it in the pipe. If It tastes good in a couple mos then great if not I will wait a little longer and cut another inch off.

Pipe tobacco seems to be cheaper and I dont always have a hour to kill with a cigar.

I started smoking a pipe for several reasons. The biggest was a change in lifestyle that reduced the time I had to smoke. I tried several short smokes and they really were not that good. With a pipe, I can have a tasty smoke with no waste or pressure to finish. One added benefit is the apparent consistency. As you stated, it is more economical, at least right now. Hard to say what the future holds in regards to taxes and political shenanigans.

Just take your time, be patient with learning to pack. Learn to use your tamper, lightly, and often, to keep the ember in the unlit tobacco. Keep your pipes clean!

I am a little worried about the Gawiths FVF. I smelled some "English" baccy at the pipe shop today and it smelled like a Dr's office. Really odd smell. But the guy said it tastes great. While I trust his judgement as he has not steered me wrong on sticks I took a pass. Hope that FVF smells better.

Just to have something consistant would be really nice. Not the best start today.....Capt Black, white label. No issues keeping it lit, Tried to pack it like a cigar with a good pre light draw and not really any issues. But only 2 small break in bowls. Looking forward to it and a stick tonight though if the allergies dont get in the way.

I am a little worried about the Gawiths FVF. I smelled some "English" baccy at the pipe shop today and it smelled like a Dr's office. Really odd smell. But the guy said it tastes great. While I trust his judgement as he has not steered me wrong on sticks I took a pass. Hope that FVF smells better.

Just to have something consistant would be really nice. Not the best start today.....Capt Black, white label. No issues keeping it lit, Tried to pack it like a cigar with a good pre light draw and not really any issues. But only 2 small break in bowls. Looking forward to it and a stick tonight though if the allergies dont get in the way.

FVF is English only in country of origin. It is purely Virginia tobacco. The smell that you associated with "English" style blends is Latakia - and there are those of us who fiend after it, but don't worry, you won't find any in FVF.

FVF is English only in country of origin. It is purely Virginia tobacco. The smell that you associated with "English" style blends is Latakia - and there are those of us who fiend after it, but don't worry, you won't find any in FVF.

Just got the sampler in today. Its this one http://www.pipesandcigars.com/busasen.html

"Strictly English" Bulk Pipe Tobacco Sampler.

Light English
*Medium English
*Majestic English
*African Queen
*Byzantium

just basic Altadis tobacco, the same stuff they sell at the local shop.
3 of them have "the smell". Will be interesting to see what I think about the taste. I have 3 cheap pipes so as not to mix up the aromatics with the non aromatic. The light English and African Queen smell good and same with the SG FVF.

1) Have you tried any Padron cigars? The regular x000 series are always solid at any time.

2) Pipe smoking and cigar smoking are two different beasts, at least IMO. Just about everything is different, from the techniques to the actual flavor of the tobacco. I hope you enjoy and continue in the world of pipes but in my experience they are not synonymous.

1) Have you tried any Padron cigars? The regular x000 series are always solid at any time.

2) Pipe smoking and cigar smoking are two different beasts, at least IMO. Just about everything is different, from the techniques to the actual flavor of the tobacco. I hope you enjoy and continue in the world of pipes but in my experience they are not synonymous.

Had a 2000 a while back. Was OK, dont remember anything special pos/neg. I have some 3000's I need to try. I am noticing they are different but enjoy both. I'm finding a lot more consistancy with the pipes though. All the tobaccos have been good. I have not a blend that was a lt down in the way I have had with cigars. Got a really nice looking estate Jirsa coming from Pulvers. Slender and bout 6-7 inches long. Not as long as a churchwarden but still a thinner pipe and really nice looking wood. I am going to keep learing on the cobs though....dont wanna mess up a nice pipe!!!!