• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

From the Halls of Montezuma

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
Yup today's the day. It's the anniversary of the Marines landing on the shores of Tripoli.First Lt. O'Bannon was presented a Mamaluke sword from Prince Hamet and later awarded a sword of honor patterned on the Mameluke design by his home state of Virgina (which led to adoption of the sword by all U.S. Marine officers to this day.) Now, how many of you Jarheads knew that. Let's face it, where Angels and Marines fear to tread, there you find a Corpsman who knows.
laugh.gif

Doc.

Nice!

<----former Seabee. That's sorta like a Jarhead with job skills. :laugh:

I kid, I kid. Ow! Not in the face! :p

~Boar

You got me on the sword from Virginia but I did know the other including the good Lieutenant O’Bannon's first name of Presley. One thing you missed is that this was the first recorded land battle of the United States fought overseas and Marines led the way.

This is one Jarhead who knows the story, just not the date. As far as the sword is concerned, I don't rate the Mameluke sword but as an NCO I do rate a sword. We are the only branch in the military that issue its NCO's with a sword, a symbol of authority and leadership. Semper Fi Gentlemen.

I'm not a Marine but in honor of all the fine Marines I worked with over the years, Hoorah!