• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente 858 Sungrown

akelly

I have been smoking cigars for over 10 years now and this is my first review. I smoke all brands, strengths, and sizes so; I do not have a regular rotation.

OK…..Here it goes

Cigar: Fuente 858 Sun Grown
Purchased: December 2005
Price: Around $ 4.50
Drink: 2007 Reserve Chardonnay from Barboursville
Temperature: 82 with low humidity

I felt the need to smoke a cigar due to the pleasant weather and opened the humidor to see what I had. Right on top I saw one of the three 858 Sun Grown’s that I have but have been avoiding (not sure why). I have smoked two of theses before but, it has been so long I don’t remember anything about them.

Pre Light/Light

I grabbed the cigar and headed out back to the deck. I slowly slide the cigar out of the cello which was deff starting to turn yellow. I pulled the cedar off and removed the ribbon on the foot and tape on the cedar cylinder. The cigar looked good, not amazing but good. The cap and wrapper appeared a bit toothy and the cigar had a long vein running through. I cut the top with a nice straight clean line and took a pre-draw and immediately smelt the cedar. I took a drink of the Chardonnay and lit a piece of cedar that was wrapped around the cigar with a Bic lighter and slowly toasted the foot of the cigar. I then took another piece of the cedar and lit it and slowly moved it to the foot of the cigar causing a nice even light.

First Third

The first draw was……well not good. Was it because of the cedar? I’m not sure so, I took another…..it tasted the same. This continued for the first inch of the cigar which had me thinking that to be such a rare coveted cigar, why did it taste like a bundled smoke? As I continued to smoke, thinking that this was just another typical case of cigar hype, I noticed the smoke was about 1.5 inches down and the flavor started to come through. Finally…… this is what I expected. The harshness and charred taste seemed to disappear. I continued drinking my wine noticing how the oak flavors complemented this cigar that was warming up quiet nicely. One weird thing I noticed was the ash. It was spreading as the cigar burned down (looked like pack man if that makes sense).

Second Third

The smoke was billowing out and had a familiar sun grown taste. I was blowing perfect smoke rings and noticed the cedar taste really coming through. I’m not good with flavors but the cigar was very enjoyable at this point and I would say medium to full bodied. The cigar continued to burn evenly and taste remained the same.

Final Stretch

The cigar had reached its full potential by this point. The ash was still spreading and burning evenly. The cedar still one of the strongest influences and aroma seemed to smell as good as it tasted. At this point I needed more wine and I put the cigar down on the deck and went on for another glass. Upon returning I fumbled the cigar and it fell to the ground. Yes, I still smoked it. The cigar was well constructed so no cracks from the fall. I continued smoking until the cigar became too warm to hold. I didn’t nub but came very close to it.

Final Thoughts

The cigar started off terrible and finished well. The construction and burn were close to perfect. For the price this was a fine smoke. Would I buy them again……..Yes, but only at retail or closely to it. My tastes seem to revolve around cigars that are more refined and complex but, I admit I love having the rare hard to get smokes in the humidor.

Sorry for rambling and thanks for reading.

Was this from the most recent release? The few I got are sitting on ice for a while. I try to wait 6 months to a year for all Fuente Sungrowns.

Nice review.

I'm not sure what release this is from but, it was purchased in December of 2005. It was a great cigar but, dont know I would go far out of my way to aquire them again in the future.

Excellent review! I guess the main draw to these sticks is the rarity factor. Still, it sounds like quite decent smoke for the price!.