• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente Don Carlos vs. Anejo's

psyktek

Frugal Old Fart!
Some of you may have seen my post in the Anejo thread about scoring a box of those. Now I'm getting curious about the Don Carlos, as the same shop has a few boxes of those as well.
Folks have said that the Anejo is similar to the Opus line, but with a different wrapper. That's a good enough recommendation for me! But are the Don Carlos different enough from these two and the rest of the Fuente line (fine cigars, but not my favorites) to justify another investment?

This local shop isn't into any of this markup nonsense and "saving these for my regulars" stuff, so I could get an entire box, which is kind of where my attitude has gone now. I've got so many singles and doubles I'll never get thru them all, so now I'm looking more at getting boxes of smokes that I will consistently enjoy.

Just as a debate point, I find that many admittedly good cigars just arent't that much different from each other. Maybe it's just my poor worn out taste buds, but there are few smokes that are as distictive as Opus, Ashton and my go-to smoke, the RyJ Reserve Maduro.

In fact, there may be a lot of newbies getting surprise packages now that I've learned how to ship via first class using the USPS online site! :D

Yup, apples and oranges. And if you can score a box of #2's as nicely as you did the Anejo's...then put em to sleep, you won't be disappointed. :)

I like the Don Carlos. A dresssed up Hemmingway, but not an anejo IMHO. After some sleepy time in the box, not so sure?

IMO... it's Don Carlos!

It's basically Maduro -vs- Cameroon and I just love the cameroon taste that the Don Carlos provides. A great spiciness, good strength and nice richness to the smoke. The DC is definitely a fuller flavored and more satisfying cigar IMO. The Anejo is a good cigar but IMO it's sought after and raved about because it's only released once a year which adds to its allure.

Given the choice of having an unlimited supply of either cigar... I'd take the Don Carlos everytime.... especially the No. 3 (Corona) and the Robusto!

Aloha,

Wade

I'd have to agree with the guys, the Don Carlos is a great Cameroon while the Anejos are a great Maduro. If I were you and had the chance, pick up a box of the DC #2s or the Belicoso' and put them to sleep and you won't go wrong..... :D :thumbs: :p

Havent had an Anejo yet, but I agree with everything said about the Don Carlos' above. I had a belicoso a few weeks back... YUM. Hooked, for sure. I haven't quite gotten into maduros yet, so I guess that makes me biased towards wrappers like Cameroons, but they're uniquely good in their own right.

Just a note on Cammies v. Maddies. In my experience a good Cammie has a rich spicy flavor (as Wade already stated) while a good Maddie has a nice sweetness. I like both depending on my mood. Now that I've had a few of the more revered SG's I'd have to say they have a blend of those qualities that is just plain heavenly. I've yet to try an Anejo or Don Carlos so I'll have to get back to you on those :D

Picked up a box of the Doble Robusto today. Whew, had to take a deep breath before handing over the credit card, but smoked one on the way home and man, it was great at this age, can't wait for another year to go by and let them blend and stabilize some more.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement to try these. :thumbs:

PS- Craig, Jeanie's has an open box of #4's, 1 box each of Belicosos, Presidentes,
Robustos, #2's. They're not on display in the humi's, you'll have to ask about them.

psyktek said:
Picked up a box of the Doble Robusto today. Whew, had to take a deep breath before handing over the credit card, but smoked one on the way home and man, it was great at this age, can't wait for another year to go by and let them blend and stabilize some more.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement to try these. :thumbs:

PS- Craig, Jeanie's has an open box of #4's, 1 box each of Belicosos, Presidentes,
Robustos, #2's. They're not on display in the humi's, you'll have to ask about them.
Thanks for the head's up Bob. I'll have to go by and pick up a few. Nice choice on the double robustos. I've heard they are the favorite of a lot of DC smokers.

Two different cigars. Both great cigars. One I smoke when I am in that mood to really "pamper" myself and enjoy a rare cigar. The other is a smoke when I am that mood to create a special occassion and enjoy a rare cigar.

Sam

I got a box of Beli's on the WAY!!!! I hope they are as good as the DR's that U got!

Enjoy those smokes bob!

Phil

I love both of these smokes!! The DC Double Robusto is my fave the Anejo #50 is my other fave. Both have great flavor and are very distinct.

I've seen some advertising and cigar retailer writeups which rave about how great the DCs are. I was gonna post a topic here to ask what the general opinion was on these. Instead I did a search and found this thread - it provided all the info I needed. I'm going to grab a box ASAP.

The reason I topped the thread is to ask what a reasonable price is to pay for these things?

Are the prices that Famous Smoke charges reasonable? Or should I keep looking?

Thanks

Try Here. Just call or email before ordering to see if they are currently in stock as the website is not updated very often. Tommy is a great guy and his prices are pretty good. I have quite a few boxes of VSG's from him :)

SmokeAll also has 'em at $212.00 including shipping for the #2 and Atlantic has the Doble Robusto for $176 with shipping. (Just in case the Cigar Town site doesn't work out).

All the usual disclaimers. :D

psyktek said:
Some of you may have seen my post in the Anejo thread about scoring a box of those. Now I'm getting curious about the Don Carlos, as the same shop has a few boxes of those as well.
Folks have said that the Anejo is similar to the Opus line, but with a different wrapper. That's a good enough recommendation for me!
I personally don't think the Añejos taste anything like the Opus X's... but anyway.

As for the Don Carlos, they did nothing for me. Some people love 'em, I wasn't impressed. Try a stick or two before buying a box.

Oh, and send any spare Añejo's to me. :)

Fast & Psyktek,

Thanks guys, those sources/prices are significantly better than Famous or CI (not that there's anything wrong with Famous or CI in general, it's just that. . . well, "a buck's a buck")

Anyway, thanks. I want to get a real nice box of sticks to hand out when my daughter is born, and since I haven't got a prayer of finding a box of Opus or Anejo's, I think these will fit the bill nicely.

lbrief said:
Anyway, thanks. I want to get a real nice box of sticks to hand out when my daughter is born, and since I haven't got a prayer of finding a box of Opus or Anejo's, I think these will fit the bill nicely.
Oh, you can definitely FIND boxes of both of these. The real question is whether you want to pay the price.