• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente Opus X Robusto (2008)

souldog

OG Post-Whorer since 2008 bitches...
I don't know what got into me, but I decided to embark on another review of a favorite stand-by of mine: The Opus X Robusto.

I believe this one is a bit young, from 08', and while sitting outside on this cool night I decided to light it up after smoking a Punch Petite Corona.

Cigar: Opus X Robusto
Size: 5 ¼" x 50
Wrapper: Opus X Rosado
Binder: Opus X Rosado
Filler: Opus X Blend

Start Time: 1947 hours
opusxreview_1.jpg

Initial Impressions: Taking the cello off delicately, the cigar felt firm to the touch with a bit of give to it, bearing no evidence of cracks in the wrapper. There are several prominent veins running through the cigar, but hardly noticeable from a distance. Before lighting up, I take in the scent of powerful tobacco, bracing my nostrils with the peppery force that is known as the Opus X cigar.

The Smoke: After clipping the cap, I took a pre-light draw and it tasted like smooth honey and cinnamon, with a burning spice left on my lips from the rosado wrapper. As I was toasting the foot, I can feel the spice catching me in the nostrils, and I can't wait to smoke this great stick. I lit the cigar up and went to work. The draw is a bit restrictive, but it could just be the humidity in the air...who knows?

I think one of the things I am coming to appreciate about the Opus X line is the subtlety of the blend. When you first smell the cigar, it's so darn spicy that you aren't sure if you're in the mood for a heavy "steak and potatoes" dinner from the Fuentes. All of that changes when you clip the cap, and take that first pre-light draw. You're met with a sweet taste that ends with a nice kick in the mouth from the spice. Once you light it up, you're drawing in this cool, sweet smoke, but the aftertaste can make your eyes burn. I can't get enough of these suckers.

I'm having a bit of complication with the uneven burn on the wrapper, but it's nothing that I'm going to go ballistic over, because this thing is too good, and is perfect after a long day of work.
opusxreview_2.jpg

I had to correct the burn because it was beginning to burn sideways up the wrapper. I hate friggin' doing that because then I feel cheated from losing some of the wrapper's taste in the overall burn, but all isn't lost. The ash is slightly loose in the foot, and has already dropped twice while in the first third. As with younger Opus, the kick is beginning to rear it's ugly head, but nothing that isn't fixed by a nice glass of iced tea!
opusxreview_3.jpg

I rarely spit when I smoke cigars anymore (yes, I was one of "those" cigar smokers :p ), but the leathery taste is so overwhelming that I have to once in a while to keep from getting a spinning head. The wrapper is still acting funky, but I think I'm gonna leave it alone. I'm getting into the second third of the smoke and the sweet cinnamon has all but subsided, exchanging the taste for a rather harsh assault of black pepper and earthy tones.

Well, so much for being part of the school of "no touchups!" The halfway burn I got was so bad, I had to let it die out, break off the ash, and relight the unlit portion. I rarely have this happen in an Opus X, but not all cigars are made perfect. I purged the cigar, and we're back in action and delicious Opus harmony! :laugh:
opusxreview_4.jpg

Nearing the final third, I am not taking any chances on the burn anymore. The cigar is getting hot, so I'm slowing down on the frequency of draws, as I don't want to ruin the experience with acrid smoke. I am purging again, and the cigar is beginning to sweeten up with the familiar honey taste that was prevalent in the beginning. Still a force to be reckoned with, this Opus is not letting up with it's full bodied taste!
opusxreview_5.jpg

Overall: In summation, this cigar is a staple in my humidor that I absolutely love. This particular robusto had some initial issues with draw, which quickly corrected itself, but manifested with some nasty wrapper burn issues. I recommend this stick to an experienced cigar smoker who can handle the full-bodied flavor of the Opus X line, but can still appreciate the nuances of it's flavor profile. In short, get out there and smoke em' if you got em'! :thumbs:

End Time: 2111 hours

PS- Sorry folks, no profanity in this issue! :laugh:

I've been looking forward to smoking my first and only OpusX. Guess I just need to get on with it!

Nice review and pictures!

One of my favorite sticks, but have never had one in eight years burn like that. Thanks for the review.

One of my favorite sticks, but have never had one in eight years burn like that. Thanks for the review.

Yeah Andy, I haven't had one be that funky on me in a while. I don't know what happened... I feel a bit cheated from my favorite stick! :p Glad you liked the review! :thumbs:

Great review and pictures Jon! :) Can't wait to do one at that very same table!

I had a Reserva D'Chateau about two weeks ago that I bought around this past December, that had burn issues as well. Not sure if I just botched the light, if it was a humidity issue, or what. But I had an uneven burn through the entire smoke, and it ended up going out on me twice. I only re-lit it once, the second time there was about a good inch and a half left but I said the heck with it. It was tasting fantastic too, right up until it went out the first time.

Why did you use the word "firecracker" in the title when "firecr**ker" would've sufficed? :angry:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding bro!! Great review, are you starting to save for your second table yet? ;)

PS- Sorry folks, no profanity in this issue! :laugh:

Well WTF!! Why not?!?

Just kidding, great review. Bummer it didn't deliver perfection but it still looked like a great smoke. I hate burn issues too, they can ruin a smoke for me.