• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Future humidor purchasing suggestions please.

RoguePuffer

So I have been reading through various threadsof people that have purchased new humidors, but I havent found any threads on the various humidors, manufacturers, types, styles, purposes, why and how much you should spend on one etc.

Of course I want this information for myself, but I thought it might be nice to create a Newbies Guide to Humidors and pin it or place in in the same place on the main page as the coolidor instructions.

So guys can you please share your wisdom and guide the newbies?

Click on Advanced right beside the Search button. In the very first field (Find Words) type "purchase a humidor" with parentheses included. Click Search at the bottom.

Hope that helps!

Personally, as far as desktop humdiors go...there is no reason to get an expensive one. The inexpensive ones often work just as well, and sometimes better. I'd suggest you take a look at Cheaphumidors.com.

I would recommend purchasing at least a 150ct humi as your collection will grow faster than you can smoke them.

My girlfriend gifted me with this humidor last Christmas! How did she know? :whistling:

The pretty silver hygrometer I have calibrated using the salt test, and it holds up to my other digital ones.
winston.jpg

I took out the floral foam and cutter and they have never gone back in.
winstonzoom.jpg

I also put a ventilation grate on the bottom of mine for better airflow. High end humi's will have this come from the factory.
Ventilation-grate.jpg

It seals great also, she passed the "whoosh test" and I've never have a problem with my Rh. :)

Good luck!

+1 for hearfelt beads. I use 65% and its almost always dead on.

When it comes to humidors, two things matter - one that is lined with Spanish Cedar (American cedar is not good). Two, that it seals. Other than that, it’s all about looks, capacity, and bells & whistles.

Two words of advice, get something larger than you think you need and if you’re going to spend over $200, convert a wine cooler over (so you control both temp and RH).

Good luck,

Ok so why would you want 65% beads vs 70%?
....because many folks (myself included) like their smokes at 65% or a little lower. It's not a trick question....;) If you like 70%, that's what you'd buy.

I have heard a lot of people talking about Heartfelt beads, has anyone used Cigar Mechanic?
No, because the guy behind Heartfelt is not only a frequent contributor to these forums, but he's a very honest, decent guy to deal with. You won't go wrong with Heartfelt's beads; I have a couple pounds in my cabinet to provide humidity "ballast".

Not saying the other guys aren't good guys, but I haven't seen them contributing in these forums.....:whistling:

I have to say, I've never heard anyone complain about Heartfelt beads. I just don't think you can go wrong with them. IMHO a 70% cigar will have a tendency to have a tight draw. I like 65% for domestics and 59% for CC's. As far as the humidor purchase goes, the sky's the limit. Go with what you really like and always go twice as big as you think you need. :whistling:

Coleman cooler.....$15.00 tops.

One lb of Heartfelt 65% beads in one of his nice nylon mesh bags....about $35.00 before shipping.

The best storage in the universe on the cheap.....priceless....:cool:

Edited to add link............

What this guy said. Tom gives sage advice. If you are insistent on a nicer looking wood humidor, Cheaphumidors.com is a vendor here as others have mentioned, and have great prices. I'd highly recommend using Heartfelt Beads, most members here use them and that to me speaks volumes.

Thank you guys for all the wonderful suggestions and explinations.

I belive that I have a cooler in the attic that might work well for this purpose. I will have to check around my local area for a spanish cedar source to line it with.

I am a firm believer in supporting the people who support your community, and if Heartfelt is a company that supports the CP community, I am all over it!

I belive that I have a cooler in the attic that might work well for this purpose. I will have to check around my local area for a spanish cedar source to line it with.

I am a firm believer in supporting the people who support your community, and if Heartfelt is a company that supports the CP community, I am all over it!

IMHO, don't waste money trying to line it. You mentioned before you had made contact with a local shop, ask them what they do with their left over cigar boxes. Many shops will either give them to you or charge a small fee (I wouldn't pay more than a dollar or two). The boxes are made to store cigars which is what you will be doing, so it is basically a match made in heaven. I'd make sure to steer clear of boxes that used to have infused (Acid's, etc.) cigars in them and I personally prefer Slide Lids, but get a variety depending on your needs.

IMHO, don't waste money trying to line it. You mentioned before you had made contact with a local shop, ask them what they do with their left over cigar boxes. Many shops will either give them to you or charge a small fee (I wouldn't pay more than a dollar or two). The boxes are made to store cigars which is what you will be doing, so it is basically a match made in heaven. I'd make sure to steer clear of boxes that used to have infused (Acid's, etc.) cigars in them and I personally prefer Slide Lids, but get a variety depending on your needs.

I agree with Breedy and think he is offering up some great advice. As you will likely be storing a lot of singles in addition to any boxes of cigars you purchase, the singles should nto be allowed to just rest in the cooler on their own. I would store them in either Ziplocs or in Spanish Cedar cigar boxes. The reason for this is to prevent your cigars from suffering from dramatic changes in humidity when you open and close your cooler to play Tetris as you take cigars out and put cigars in. Granted...if the cigars are going to be smoked soon, it does not make a whole lot of difference, but as you plan on using a cooler, I'm assuming you will be storing a lot of cigars...many of which will get some age.

One last thing to remember when using a cooler. It works like a humidor would...meaning that it works best when it is 75% full. When it is, it allows the Rh to remain more stable. If you have a lot of empty space in the cooler, your Rh will fluctuate dramtically whenever you open and close it. To solve that issue, just fill the empty space with empty cigar boxes. This will help stabilize and maintain the humidity as the boxes and cigars act as humidification devices as well since they both hold moisture.

Lining a cooler with cedar is a waste of cooler space; it's just not required. I've kept expensive cigars in ziploc bags, cracked open, in coolers with beads for years and never had an issue.

Wooden boxes work great, and are usually priced right. Not required, but they do offer some protection for the gars inside.

Lastly, bubble wrap is a great way to occupy the unused space in a cooler. Seems to work better for me than empty boxes, YMMV.

B.B.S.