• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gas or Charcoal

MoeCizlak

Built for comfort
I'm about to toss out my dilapidated gas grill and am wondering what to replace it with. I use it quite a bit from April through October and like the ease of cooking with gas since I don't have the set up time I would with a charcoal. However, that charcoal taste is tough to beat. I have a small Brinkman smoker that I use quite a bit when I have a free weekend to devote to smoking meat. What, besides the above stated ease of gas, are the pros and cons that you guys have come across? Thanks in advance for the input.

I would never cook on a gas grill. I've got 4 Weber Kettles. 2 lg, 1 medium, and a cute little tiny one I take on picnics. I can cook anything from burgers to 15lb turkeys. Cooking is about love, and spending a paltry 20 min getting your charcoal ready shouldn't be a deterrent.

Doc.

Quite possibly a stupid question, but how long after getting the charcoal set up properly does it get to temp for cooking? I have never actually cooked with charcoal, but always with gas. Is there much more of a time difference or just the setup time?

I have always heard that charcoal produces a much much better tasting product, so if the timing isn't that off, then it would seem to swing in that favor?

Don

Man...I'm following Doc around like a puppy. Let's see, better EVOO, good tomatoes, no Oregano, fresh basil (add after only), no gas.

:D

I love charcoal and given the time I will always cook on it. But I cook out all year round and I live in Ohio. For me, I want a burger or steak, the extra time would often make me have pasta :D

You can buy a small charcoal grill for under $10, buy that and a nice gas grill if you like to grill often.

Yea, I'm the freakin' AVB of food.

Doc.

Get a charcoal grill that you can adjust how close/far away from the grill the bed of coals is. That will allow you to cook anything one there you can imaging. A chimney to get the coals going and a spray bottle full of water for flare ups are both good investments too.

I'm with CigarStone on this one. I like the flavor of food cooked on a charcoal grill, but by the time I get home from work most evenings, the 3-5 minutes it takes for my gas grill to be lit and get up to temp is a wonderful thing. I don't have to wait 30 minutes to grill a hotdog.

You can obtain great flavor with a little adjusting on gas grills, you can't speed up a charcoal grill. I guess ultimately the question you have to answer yourself is fast and easy, or slow and added flavor. Oh, and there are ways to add charcoal, wood, and smoke flavor to gas grills.

Quite possibly a stupid question, but how long after getting the charcoal set up properly does it get to temp for cooking? I have never actually cooked with charcoal, but always with gas. Is there much more of a time difference or just the setup time?

I have always heard that charcoal produces a much much better tasting product, so if the timing isn't that off, then it would seem to swing in that favor?

Don
You mine as well be cooking indoors if you use gas. The fire is ready when the briquets are completely white and you can hold your hand over the grill for about 5 seconds or so. But this varies. It takes experience, trial and error and a lot of black food. But it's worth the effort. Start simple. Burgers for instance. A kettle makes things a little less exciting for things like chicken. The lid prevents flare ups. I really think the Weber is the way to go and I highly recommend them.

Doc.

Have thought about trying the webber since it would match its gas brother. I might just have to go out and start trying it out!!!! I love to grill, so maybe this is the kick in the ass I need to do it up properly!

Don

I'm with CigarStone on this one. I like the flavor of food cooked on a charcoal grill, but by the time I get home from work most evenings, the 3-5 minutes it takes for my gas grill to be lit and get up to temp is a wonderful thing. I don't have to wait 30 minutes to grill a hotdog.

You can obtain great flavor with a little adjusting on gas grills, you can't speed up a charcoal grill. I guess ultimately the question you have to answer yourself is fast and easy, or slow and added flavor. Oh, and there are ways to add charcoal, wood, and smoke flavor to gas grills.
Good food and quick are antithetical to one another. If you want quick go to Burger King. Most of you go to outrageous lengths to enjoy your cigars. You wouldn't do the same for food?

Doc.

Good food and quick are antithetical to one another. If you want quick go to Burger King. Most of you go to outrageous lengths to enjoy your cigars. You wouldn't do the same for food?

Doc.

(raising hand) I would!!

I just gotta learn how to cook right first! lol

Doc.

Doc, agree to disagree.

I've got both and use both...a Jenn Air gas grill and a Weber kettle. I can taste a lot of things but propane isn't one of them. I do like the flavor off a charcoal grill, though.

I use both, often at the same time! The purist in me totally agrees with Doc, but when I get home at 9 pm after a 12 hour work day and just want a sausage or a quick steak the lazy, tired bastard in me says "Where's the propane?"

Charcoal is the best, but gas is so convenient. I've got a Weber Gas, and Brinkman Charcoal. I get fine grilling flavor off the gas weber, but on the weekends it's always Charcoal.

I use both, often at the same time! The purist in me totally agrees with Doc, but when I get home at 9 pm after a 12 hour work day and just want a sausage or a quick steak the lazy, tired bastard in me says "Where's the propane?"

This is exactly where I am right now. I do use a chimney to start the coals on my smoker and it is usually just a 20 min wait and I can always find something to do for 20min. But I do alot of veggies and breads on my gas grill on very low heat and don't know if I could do that with a charcoal. I know how to set up a grill for indirect heat and all, but it still seems it gets hotter than my gas grill.