• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

General torch lighter question

Got a $2.50 Ronson several years ago and it still works great. Use the Ronson butane too. I've had a lot of folks laugh at me and ask why I use it. If you want style, this ain't it. If you want a dependable torch lighter, these work great, imho.

I find Bics to be useless and for cigarettes. It tends to take longer to light a cigar as there is no crystaline in the wrapper for the consistent burn. Torches are more dependable and tend to grow on us. It's the 21st century, we can get rid of the cheap flint lighters.

Bic. Never have to adjust it, lights the first time almost every time, and if you loose it who cares it only cost $1.00. I chose to keep it simple. I don't see why you need a torch to light a dried out leaf any way IMO.

I find Bics to be useless and for cigarettes. It tends to take longer to light a cigar as there is no crystaline in the wrapper for the consistent burn. Torches are more dependable and tend to grow on us. It's the 21st century, we can get rid of the cheap flint lighters.

Bic. Never have to adjust it, lights the first time almost every time, and if you loose it who cares it only cost $1.00. I chose to keep it simple. I don't see why you need a torch to light a dried out leaf any way IMO.

The flame on a bic is to damn small, it just takes too long to light up a cigar that way. My preference is a good soft light, so I use my Dupont Gatsby, it was pricey but worth it. After that I prefer to use a torch and for that I use my extend, again I paid more for it than a ronson, but it works better and is more reliable (I used ronson and no name lighters for a long time before I "upgraded").

It may take more time to light it but why be in a hurry to light something that you will be smoking for an hour. I get a good toast on the foot and light in five minutes. I would rather spend what little money I have on cigars not lighters. Smoke what you like and light it with what you like to use. Just giving my 2C
Also if torches are more dependable why dose this thread and so many others with torch problems exist?

Also if torches are more dependable why dose this thread and so many others with torch problems exist?

I never said torches are more reliable, I said my extend is more reliable. And it is much more reliable than any other none dupont lighter I've tried.

By no means do I rush through lighting, I just find that the less time my cigar spends in direct flame the better it is. With a soft single flame I have to put too much effort into getting it lit properly (and then I rarely succeed), by using a good torch or a good soft double flame it lights up quickly and perfectly and easily without excessively burning the cigar.

I was talking more to woots!te than you Tug. He said torches are more dependable. He is talking like I am a caveman for using a Bic to light cigars. I have had many torch lighter and just like the soft flame. I can also use the soft flame on pipes. I had a blazer that was a great lighter it was around 15 years old and still worked great. I gave it to someone else on the board it was just collecting dust.

IMO: the problem with soft flames for cigars is its so much work to get an even light, its a guaranteed crooked burn of the bat.