• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting A Weird Taste From Pipe

Turbolag

Noob
Hey everyone. 

I noticed in the corn cob pipe I have, it has now picked up a smokey burnt taste that isn't very pleasant. 

The only blend I have smoked in it is Captain Black, just the original one. 

I clean the pipe after I use it with pipe cleaners. The stem, inside the bowl, around the bowl. I even took the mouth piece off and washed it in the sink with soap. 

But it still has this smokey burnt taste. I was wondering, is this coming from the Captain Black blend ?

I was thinking about trying a different blend, but before I did I wanted to make sure I didn't do any maintenance technique improperly.

The inside of the cob is completely black from smoke and tobacco.

Not sure what to do.

Thanks.  

It's probably burnt out. Throw it away, and buy another. Get more than one. Don't smoke the same pipe every day. They need to rest. Ideally a week or so. That's why you bought a cob in the first place. And ditch the Captain Black and any other drug store tobacco. There's plenty of good recommendations here.

Doc

Thanks man. 

That had me puzzled. Haha. 

Yea I wasn't sure what a good newbie tobacco was, so I thought Captain Black would be a good place to start. 

Gonna dip back into the pipe threads and re read. 

Should I get another Cob ? Or change to a different one ? 

Thanks again man.

I've heard of pipes getting "sour", from what I understand, by too frequent smoking sessions, not being cleaned regularly, over-heating, etc.  The good aspect of corn cob pipes is they are easily replaced.  I'd go buy another and try to keep it to one smoking session a day.  The most I've smoked the same pipe in one day is twice, even though that's not really recommended.

IMO, aromatic tobaccos are a bad place to start. They bite and burn hot. They smell good to people around you, but taste not so great. Try an English or an Oriental blend. That's a good place to start. Someday you may move up to Virginia flakes, but get some experience first. They're difficult for the beginner. Stick to the cobs for now. You don't want to burn out an expensive pipe.

Doc

The Black Cloud said:
I've heard of pipes getting "sour", from what I understand, by too frequent smoking sessions, not being cleaned regularly, over-heating, etc.  The good aspect of corn cob pipes is they are easily replaced.  I'd go buy another and try to keep it to one smoking session a day.  The most I've smoked the same pipe in one day is twice, even though that's not really recommended.

Thanks man. Yea I was smoking a bowl once a day in it for a couple days in a row. Maybe I should buy like 4 of them and alternate. 

Devil Doc said:
IMO, aromatic tobaccos are a bad place to start. They bite and burn hot. They smell good to people around you, but taste not so great. Try an English or an Oriental blend. That's a good place to start. Someday you may move up to Virginia flakes, but get some experience first. They're difficult for the beginner. Stick to the cobs for now. You don't want to burn out an expensive pipe.

Doc

Thanks man. I noticed I didn't really care for the flavor, but the room note was pleasant. I'll do some reading on English blends and see what I come up with. 

Thanks again guys !   :cool:

Go out and get a tin o frog Morton on the town... And you can thank me later.

I have a dr. Grabow devoted to nothing but frog Morton on the town, to be a cheapie pipe it smokes great!

carddoug said:
Go out and get a tin o frog Morton on the town... And you can thank me later.

I have a dr. Grabow devoted to nothing but frog Morton on the town, to be a cheapie pipe it smokes great!

Thanks man. I  have been wanting to order some Frog Morton. 

You're welcome, on the town is my fav out the frogs. I haven't had the newest one called the cellar. Liked on the bayou too, but didn't care for the original.

Cobs are a great inexpensive way to find blends you like, and they can last a long time by following the advice already given here. Buy a few of them so you can alternate. If you can make it to a pipe show that Missouri Meerschaum is going to be at, they sell one of their smaller pipes that normally sells for $3 for 50¢ each for people to try different tobaccos at the show. They're not very big, but plenty for a 20-25 min smoke. Also, you can use Everclear to swab out the inside of the stem and shank after each smoke to keep it smoking sweeter longer. Good luck and sweet smokes!

carddoug said:
You're welcome, on the town is my fav out the frogs. I haven't had the newest one called the cellar. Liked on the bayou too, but didn't care for the original.

Definitely interested in the line up. 

nismo270r said:
Cobs are a great inexpensive way to find blends you like, and they can last a long time by following the advice already given here. Buy a few of them so you can alternate. If you can make it to a pipe show that Missouri Meerschaum is going to be at, they sell one of their smaller pipes that normally sells for $3 for 50¢ each for people to try different tobaccos at the show. They're not very big, but plenty for a 20-25 min smoke. Also, you can use Everclear to swab out the inside of the stem and shank after each smoke to keep it smoking sweeter longer. Good luck and sweet smokes!

Thanks man. A lot of good advice in this thread.

Thanks everyone. 

I was thinking about ordering another corn cob and maybe a Brylon pipe too. Gonna check out Cigar International to see what tobaccos they have. I think I might need to go back to the stickies and see the where to get pipe tobacco threads too. 

Found a nice selection here:  I selected English and Oriental blends  http://www.cigarsinternational.com/search/?q=tins&t=Pipe+Tobacco&f_Pipe+Tobacco+Tobacco=Oriental&f_Pipe+Tobacco+Style=English&p=1

Hey everybody,
Don't mean to necro-post (especially since this is my first). 

Turbolag:  What you're tasting is the shank burning.  Don't worry, that's part of what cob smokers call breaking-in.  The shank on cobs is pine and burns very easily and is pretty nasty imo.  I remove mine and replace with cherry wood, but that's another whole post.

Take your largest drill bit that fits and twist it on the top part of the shank removing the burnt wood.  You want to just go through the top half and leave the bottom to help form the bottom of the bowl.  The space on the sides of the inserted shank will fill in with dottle and ash or you can mix up some pipe mud (cigar ash and water) and fill that in yourself.

Cobs make great knock-about pipes and I always take mine on trips.  Since they absorb moisture like a sponge, you only need to let them cool down in between smokes, unlike briars which need to dry and rest after each smoke.

Helio said:
Hey everybody,
If you read the rules you would understand how most members went to read your post and didn't get past this line. You need to head over to the introduction section and introduce yourself here and read the rules. I imagine your post may be much help to turbo and other pipe smokers and that is appreciated however rules are rules.

Thank you for you understanding and I look forward to your intro!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Paul

Tall Paul said:

Hey everybody,
If you read the rules you would understand how most members went to read your post and didn't get past this line. You need to head over to the introduction section and introduce yourself here and read the rules. I imagine your post may be much help to turbo and other pipe smokers and that is appreciated however rules are rules.

Thank you for you understanding and I look forward to your intro!

Happy Thanksgiving,
Paul

Interesting also since his join date is 4 years ago.  Doesn't seem like he's been reading more during that time.  Posting less, absolutely.  Reading more? No.

Like Paul said, Helio, seems like you have some good information and knowledge to share with the community so go ahead and introduce yourself and let us get to know you.  :thumbs: