• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting married very soon!

IrishSaint

With less than a month away till the BIG day I figured now was as good of a time as ever to turn to my new found BOTL and seek advice on getting married. My fiancé and I have been together almost 4 years and have lived together for a little more than a year now. What tips (funny or serious) can you give this young guy to make it last!

Congrats on getting married. I was just recently wed on Dec 20, 2008. The best advice that I can give you is to let her and her mother do whatever they want as far as planning goes. They will anyway. I tried to get involved a few different times but my "man ideas" were not taken seriously at all. Also, after the wedding, be sure to have a detailed explanation of every purchase on the credit/bank card statements. I have heard of many a war breaking out over that issue. Good luck.

Don't give her crap about things you don't want her to give you crap about.

Believe me she'll remember that 1 time 5 yrs 3 months 21 days 16 hours 31 minutes and 27 seconds ago you got angry about her charging 3 pairs of shoes on the credit card and now you have the balls to buy a couple of boxes of cigars.

Congrats!

DO NOT GET INVOLVED OR SHARE YOUR OPINION UNLESS ASKED INREGARDS TO WEDDING PLANNING. Treat your wife like you would your best friend. Buy her the inexpensive grocery store flower bouques randomly and with out reason- think of it as an investment and certainly the best 4 bucks you could spend. Give more then you receive.

Congradulations, i was married last summer. My advice on the wedding planning comes from to numberous and sometimes epic battles with my wifes mom. Its kind of a shame i let it get to that cuz it has impacted our relationship from my view. Let me also add that i choose to not do well with people who are ill-logical/irrational. My wife is very logical though her mom isn't. That should explain the epic fights. The numerous ones were my own fault for not following my first bit of advice.

My first marriage was a train wreck. This summer I'm celebrating five years with my second wife (we've been together for eight years), and I could not be happier. There are two lessons that I learn from my first marriage that has made my second marriage a blessing.

First, never fight just to prove you are right, because in the end it doesn't matter. Even if you are right, telling her so will only make matters worse. Some things she just has to learn on her own, but you should be there to pick her up when she falls on her butt.

Second, never stop having fun together. My wife and I always find time to do something fun together. Whatever it is that you guys enjoy doing, never lose sight of it. This is how you build memories that get you through the tough times.

Something else to keep in mind is that people change over time. The hobbies and interests I have now are completely different then they were eight years ago, and so are hers. Always be open to change.

Two simple things to remember:
1. If she ain't happy, you ain't happy
2. Happy wife =Happy Life

They may sound funny but they are true. I can't tell ya how to keep her happy but your life will be better if you do.

1. From the day of your marriage forward, you are wrong.
2. No, those jeans don't make her look fat.
3. No, Angelina Jolie is not the hottest woman alive.
4. You're still wrong.
5. Everyday is your anniversary.
6. Headaches. Get used to them.
7. Even if you're actually right, you're still wrong.
8. You now like watching the Lifetime channel.
9. If you're right and she knows it, admit you're wrong.
10. RUN. :laugh:

Seriously, though, congrats and good luck!

DO NOT commingle funds

First, never fight just to prove you are right, because in the end it doesn't matter. Even if you are right, telling her so will only make matters worse. Some things she just has to learn on her own, but you should be there to pick her up when she falls on her butt.

Second, never stop having fun together. My wife and I always find time to do something fun together. Whatever it is that you guys enjoy doing, never lose sight of it. This is how you build memories that get you through the tough times.

Something else to keep in mind is that people change over time. The hobbies and interests I have now are completely different then they were eight years ago, and so are hers. Always be open to change.

x2 on these from my experiences. I am going to be married for 3 yrs in July.

DO NOT commingle funds

Sounds like you've been though a nasty divorce.

No divorce.

I'll give you two words that would explain why I wrote that:

Coach Bags

I was wondering where you were coming from with the view on commingled funds. Now I understand. My wife would say the same thing, but she would reply with: cigars and whiskey

The answer to this is don't give your wife access to the bank account. Dole out cash as needed.

Back