• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting the plasticky smell out of a new wine cooler?

mikenmar

Any ideas?

I've tried washing it with a moist cloth several times, letting it sit open for an extended period with a fan in front of it, etc. No luck so far.

This has been discussed several times, but I will chime in with my recent experiences with it. I first washed out the entire vinotemp (and shelves) with soapy water first, then rinsed it with just plain water, then dried it out with a dry rag. With the shelves in the vinotemp I put three dishes of baking soda and let it set for a couple of days. The plastic smell was still there after two days so I bought a few empty cedar boxes to throw in. After day 1 of that it smelled like a mix of plastic/cedar and I was fairly discouraged. I opened it back up on day 3 of the cedar boxes to wash it out again but the plastic smell was virtually gone so I went on with the process. If worse comes to worse wash it out again and sit it in the sun for the day being careful to pay attention to the heat to ensure that the plastic on the inside of the Vinotemp does not melt. So to sum it up, buy empty cedar cigar boxes at your local B&M and be patient with it and the plastic smell will be gone! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask as I am currently setting up my vinotemp so I'll share as much as I am able! Anything I can't answer can probably easily be found here on CP as there have been many brothers/sisters that have been through this many times.

1. Wash
2. Dry
3. Wash
4. Dry
5. Baking Soda
6. Smokes
7. Enjoy

I'm going to be buying the materials I need to make a small cooldor at Walmart sometime this week.

I'll be reading alot on how to make one today.

If anyone has any tips...... i.e., "in how to get the plastic smell out." I would appreciate it.

Lurch we should pm each other and trade phone#'s.

Here is what it says on the above pinned thread "cooldor 101"

"prep the box for cigars. To do this, pour ¼ cup non-scented bleach into the cooler, and then fill it with water. Let the cooler stand over night. Dump the water out in the morning, and let the cooler sit in the sun all day while you are at work. When you get home, bring the cooler inside. Pour half a box of baking soda in a dish and place inside the cooler. The next morning, open the cooler and check for any lingering plastic smell. Once it is smell free, you are on to the next step."

This might help.

"prep the box for cigars. To do this, pour ¼ cup non-scented bleach into the cooler, and then fill it with water. Let the cooler stand over night. Dump the water out in the morning, and let the cooler sit in the sun all day while you are at work. When you get home, bring the cooler inside. Pour half a box of baking soda in a dish and place inside the cooler. The next morning, open the cooler and check for any lingering plastic smell. Once it is smell free, you are on to the next step."

This might help.

This probably wouldn't work because while the cooler can be filled with water, a wine cellar can't as it has openings on the interior, and laying it down on it's back to fill it with water probably wouldn't be good for the electronics ;) My suggestion is to wash down the interior with hot water and soap, dry it out, fill it with containers of baking soda, and let it sit for a week or so. You COULD try wiping down the interior with a bleach/water mix, but you would have to make sure to wipe down the interior really good afterwards.

"prep the box for cigars. To do this, pour ¼ cup non-scented bleach into the cooler, and then fill it with water......(snip)
Oh, hell no.

Chlorine is one of the most toxic things you can possibly put in your body. I wouldn't do that on a dare.

For the plastic smell, you need to open the pores of the plastic and let them out gas. When I had coolers, I rinsed them out with HOT water, and then let them sit outside in the sun for a day to dry out / out gas. Worked great. Problematic with a wine cooler, I realize.

If it were me, I'd wipe the thing out with very hot water a time or two and let it stand open for a few days. My guess is that should do it.

Regards - B.B.S.

I just finished prepping my second cooler. I filled up the cooler with hot water and poured 1/2 box of baking soda into to. Left it sitting there with the lid closed for about 4 hours. Drained it. Did it once more. Aired it dry and that got rid of the plastic smell.

"prep the box for cigars. To do this, pour ¼ cup non-scented bleach into the cooler, and then fill it with water......(snip)
Chlorine is one of the most toxic things you can possibly put in your body. I wouldn't do that on a dare.

Can't be any worse than antifreeze can it?

:laugh:

Can't be any worse than antifreeze can it?

:laugh:
From Wikipedia:
Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive.

By the same token:
Chlorine's toxicity comes from its oxidizing power. When chlorine is inhaled at concentrations above 30ppm it begins to react with water and cells which change it into hydrochloric acid (HCl) and hypochlorous acid (HClO).

No chlorine for me in anything that involves cigars. I use only distilled water in my cabinet, not even PG.... :cool:

I purchased several Vinotemp fridges a couple of years ago.

This method worked for me:

- baking soda + water to form a paste
- rub paste all over the inside of the fridge
- leave for a few days (I forgot about it and left it for 1 week)
- remove baking soda paste with wet towel