• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Getting to know pipe smokers on the web...

so im hearing different things.... should i get a cobb? or a meerschaum? or something a bit nicer like briar lined with meerschaum?

The deal with Meerschaums is (so I hear from my tobacconist) is that when the stone gets hot, the oil from your fingers gets "burned" on. I don't know if he is FOS, but I wouldn't want to wear white knit gloves while smoking one.

Vinny, you can get a small pipe for $30 if you look around. My first was a $35 Benton half bent. Now I've got a Peterson and a Savinelli king size.

Hereis a site with a selection of pipes for less than $40.

The deal with Meerschaums is (so I hear from my tobacconist) is that when the stone gets hot, the oil from your fingers gets "burned" on. I don't know if he is FOS, but I wouldn't want to wear white knit gloves while smoking one.

Yes, its true. The oils from your hand does change the pipe coloring. But you can see it on other pipes as well. My Peterson pipes are a deep reddish brown color when new they was bright reddish brown in color. I will post 2 pictures of my Eric Nording unvarnished Signature pipe to show the difference.

This is my Nording new before I started smoking it. Pic below.
DSCN02280001.jpg

This is my Nording pipe after i have smoked a 50gram tin of my favorite smoke. Pic below.
DSCN02940001.jpg

So with that said...the oils in the hand affect ALL pipes eventually. :thumbs: