• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Give me "Flavor"

If you are looking for bold flavor from a cigar, stick with the flavored cigars. Typical cigars will give you hints of flavor and mostly during the retrohale. There is nothing wrong with enjoying flavored cigars, that's why there is tons of them...
Several seasoned cigar smokers have stressed that there is only a "hint" of certain flavors (creaminess, nuttiness, cinnamon, leather, pepper, floral, etc). I guess to the individual smoker whatever his/her mind references and attaches to the taste of the smoke is what they go with when describing that particular cigar experience. I get it.

How is the retrohale? (Without inhaling allow a bit to flow out your nose) I find that I can distinguish much more that way than just from mouth taste. Smoke body or mouth feel is another way to pick up subtleties.
I'm working on this. I seem to smell/taste a little difference when I do this. I will keep working on it and see if it helps.

I'm in the same boat "Cakalac". I started smoking cigars about 4 months ago and haven't found a non-infused stick that I thought was flavorful. I've read a lot of cigar reviews, but I haven't encountered any of the flavors they say should be present. Thinking I was doing something wrong, I even watched a few Youtube videos on 'how to smoke cigars', but still no flavor other than tobacco has really come through. I was reading yesterday about developing my palate for the flavors, so maybe that's the problem. I'll look into it some more. A guy at one of the cigar shops told me that since I've never smoked anything before, smoking cigars just may not be for me. He doesn't know that I'm not easily discouraged. For some reason I'm convinced that there's a stick out there that I'll fall in love with. I've tried various sticks from what I've been told are good brands (Padrons, Davidoff, Oliva, AVO, Montecristo, A. Fuente, Gurkha, Camacho, Diamond Crown, Pepin, My Father's, Estelli, RyJ, Perdomo, and Ashton just to name a few). I still have some other suggestions that I've been told to try, so hopefully within the next two months I'll have a serious flavor breakthrough and find that one or two that's for me. I've invested in three humidors already, so I'm committed. I just hope I find a stick or two that keeps me committed.
Man preach. This is what I feel too. I've bought 12 cigars in the last 3 wks just knowing one is going to hit right. I had a Sobremesa the other day that had a very sweet wrapper on it. I loved the cigar but it got to me a little bit "strength" wise. I smoked it on a almost empty stomach and it didn't go over well. Still no taste from the tobacco really to me. I may be in the same boat. I was never a smoker so my taste buds may be the same as you were told. Either way I'm no damn quitter either. Lol. I'm going to try and maybe try some of the Acid and Drew estate infused stuff. I may just end up there like CBoukal said above.

@Cakalac

What worked for me won't work for everyone but here is how I got into cigars.
I went to my local B&M once, twice, and then a third time.
First two times I went through about a dozen cigars & nothing rang my bell.
On my third trip I finally found a stick that spoke to me; I was hooked & never looked back.
Over the course of 14 years of cigars as a hobby, I'm still learning; that's one of the things that keeps it fun.

So, it took me a third trip to my local B&M to 'see the light' but that worked for me.
That may not work for you but as long as you keep an interest, continue to learn, and pursue the hobby, you will eventually find what you like, and also what you don't like.
Take it easy, don't rush things, enjoy the experience; that for me is what cigars are all about.
YMMV
So I have hope. That's what I'm doing right now. I have about 8 smokes in my humidor from 2 trips there. I'm just trying different stuff to see if I get that pop like you did like a light bulb goes off w/ one . Have a few stronger ones I'm trying now, but only after a meal and w/ a sugary drink w/ me. Lol. Still have to watch myself w/ those since I'm new to nicotine not coming from ever being a smoker.

I'm in the same boat "Cakalac". I started smoking cigars about 4 months ago and haven't found a non-infused stick that I thought was flavorful. I've read a lot of cigar reviews, but I haven't encountered any of the flavors they say should be present. Thinking I was doing something wrong, I even watched a few Youtube videos on 'how to smoke cigars', but still no flavor other than tobacco has really come through. I was reading yesterday about developing my palate for the flavors, so maybe that's the problem. I'll look into it some more. A guy at one of the cigar shops told me that since I've never smoked anything before, smoking cigars just may not be for me. He doesn't know that I'm not easily discouraged. For some reason I'm convinced that there's a stick out there that I'll fall in love with. I've tried various sticks from what I've been told are good brands (Padrons, Davidoff, Oliva, AVO, Montecristo, A. Fuente, Gurkha, Camacho, Diamond Crown, Pepin, My Father's, Estelli, RyJ, Perdomo, and Ashton just to name a few). I still have some other suggestions that I've been told to try, so hopefully within the next two months I'll have a serious flavor breakthrough and find that one or two that's for me. I've invested in three humidors already, so I'm committed. I just hope I find a stick or two that keeps me committed.
Until I found out how to retro inhale, I was in the same boat. That on top of me smoking cigarette’s. Which makes it a lot harder for your pallet to detect the notes. Anyways yea you might wanna try to retro inhale and I think you’ll find yourself enjoying the taste of the cigars.

Technically it's probably more like a retro exhale - take a mouthful of smoke and exhale all or part through your nostrils. I suppose you could do a nose hit where you breathe in smoke from your mouth into your nostrils, but that'll go into your lungs.

But I agree about the retrohale experience, it sure changes the character of the smoke as long as the cigar isn't a spice bomb that singes your nostrils off your face.

Technically it's probably more like a retro exhale - take a mouthful of smoke and exhale all or part through your nostrils. I suppose you could do a nose hit where you breathe in smoke from your mouth into your nostrils, but that'll go into your lungs.

But I agree about the retrohale experience, it sure changes the character of the smoke as long as the cigar isn't a spice bomb that singes your nostrils off your face.
Lol..my exp so far from retro'ing is the nose burn. That's probably more from being a rookie though than the cigar.

Lol..my exp so far from retro'ing is the nose burn. That's probably more from being a rookie though than the cigar.
Takes practice that's for sure. If you can hold water in your mouth and breathe out through your nose than that's the first bit. Now take a puff from a cigar, hold it... Start slowly breathing out your nose.

Then slowly release some of that smoke with your exhalation. That way it's diluted some and not so intense.

Think so far and this is early and I'm not adept on the stronger cigars, my favorites so far are the Connecticut wrapper Perdomo. The 10th anniversary was by far my favorite smoke so far and I've been through about 15 smokes so far. All the med+ to full stuff was just too strong and my palate couldn't really pull a taste from it yet.