• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Given two cigars

Langod

Hi All
This is my first post outside of the Intro section, so bear with me.

I've been smoking cigars for about a week in fact, I've smoked exactly 4 cigars. (fairly inexpensive Olivas and Cohibas.)
An acquaintance who's very much into cigars gave me two to try. I think one is a VERY good cigar, the other I'm not sure. They both been aged in his humidor for a few years, I believe.

1) La Aurora 1903 Platinum. Torpedo shaped, dark brown wrapper, rich smelling. In a silver tube marked "Aurora Preferidos 1903 edition"
2) Indian Tabac Company. Says Maduro Churchill on the tube. About 7" long, maybe 1/2" wide. Dark, somewhat oily wrapper. Very deep,dark, concentrated smell.

Perhaps someone here could tell me if I should "hold off" on one of both of these for a while until I develop my taste. Or if I do smoke them, what should I look out for that's special?

Smoke away my friend. It is the only way you are going to find out. I would recommend keeping notes. As you go along with this adventure you will begin to find out what you like and dislike. You will even find your palette changing. It is all part of the fun. Enjoy!

I agree...go ahead and fire away. Everyone has different tastes but until you have some experience smoking you will not be able to learn what you like best. This forum will help you tremendously in learning about different cigar types.

The La Aurora 1903 Platinum is in a higher category than the Indian Tabac Maduro for sure, but taste is always subjective. Fire both of em' up and let us know what you think. Cigars are made to be smoked. :) Welcome!

I think they both land in the "middle of the road" average stick area. Go ahead and smokem.

Couldn't agree more with the above posts. You've only smoked four cigars; the only way that you're going to develop your palate (ability to appreciate a fine cigar) and preferences (determining which cigars you like best) is by smoking a variety of cigars and evaluating them.

Those are both mid-range cigars, btw; if you're smoking boxed Olivas and Cohibas, you're already in that area. Not to mention that price correlates only poorly to quality of flavor and aroma (although more expensive sticks are almost always better "looking"). It's an opportunity to explore the wide variety of experiences available. Finding friends whom you can do it with, of course, just makes the journey that much more pleasant.