• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Giving up on Romeo y Julieta.

cbauer210

I have been a regular cigar smoker for about 2 years now. While that is a fairly short time I finally feel I have tried a vast variety of smokes and can say for sure what I like and dislike. I am now easily appreciating the cigars for there flavors, where in the beginning I was really trying to force myself to make those distinctions. For some reason I just cant find a Romeo y Julieta cigar that I engoy. They all taste like musty old grandpa smokes (for lack of a better description). They just leave a foul flavor in my mouth and I dont know why. It seems everyone likes these. Even people who enjoy similar smokes as me. I prefer a little heaver body, spicy cigars...but really can enjoy anything if it has a nice flavor profile. There are alot of cigars that I dislike but I can easily say why I dislike them and it is always just a difference in flavor preference. For some reason, the Romeo y Julieta's I dislike on a much greater level than any other cigar I have ever smoked. They just taste foul and smell putrid. Am I the only one who thinks this?

I have been a regular cigar smoker for about 2 years now. While that is a fairly short time I finally feel I have tried a vast variety of smokes and can say for sure what I like and dislike. I am now easily appreciating the cigars for there flavors, where in the beginning I was really trying to force myself to make those distinctions. For some reason I just cant find a Romeo y Julieta cigar that I engoy. They all taste like musty old grandpa smokes (for lack of a better description). They just leave a foul flavor in my mouth and I dont know why. It seems everyone likes these. Even people who enjoy similar smokes as me. I prefer a little heaver body, spicy cigars...but really can enjoy anything if it has a nice flavor profile. There are alot of cigars that I dislike but I can easily say why I dislike them and it is always just a difference in flavor preference. For some reason, the Romeo y Julieta's I dislike on a much greater level than any other cigar I have ever smoked. They just taste foul and smell putrid. Am I the only one who thinks this?

Try the Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No. 2 LE 2000....it's a tasty morsal!

Funny thing you posting this. I just smoked one while Golfing on Saturday. I thought it was pretty nasty tasting, and should have chucked it way before I did. Wrapper split issues to boot. I remember thinking "That CP place sure has spoiled me." I have a box of Belicoso sitting in my humi. Maybe I'll visit them in ten years. :laugh:

Edit to add: I'm talking NC of course, were you?

I didn't like the RYJ line at all after the first 2 I had, but then I tried one that a buddy had and all I can say is WOW. It was a box pressed premier line that can only be found in a couple different places online. I have yet to get the names of the places, and I can't remember for the life of me right now what the name of the cigar was. It is one of the best cigars in the $6 stick range I have found.
B

Edited to fix price

I didn't now if you were talking NC or not. Never had an ISOM R&J. I do like the Bully though. I tried a reserve last week and it didn't do it for me.

I didn't now if you were talking NC or not.

x2

I don't care for the NC R&J's. I think they are wonderful until you light them, wonderful (prelight) taste, smell, construction... And then when I started smoking it I just really didn't care for it.

Now I would never do anything illegal like smoke an ISOM but I "think" :rolleyes: I would greatly enjoy the R&J cigars. I "think" I would have trouble finding one I didn't like. :D

I'm the same way with Camachos. Haven't found one
that I like.

But for NC RyJ I do like the Reserve Maduro line, with
some age on them. I pulled one from my humi after a
year and it was sweeeet, quite literally.

(Almost as sweet as one of those nasty Baccarats, made
by Camacho, dipped in sugar.)

Your taste may vary.

Chemyst :cool:

I'm with you bauer, to me the aroma is reminiscent of a pig farm and the flavor profile is unpleasantly sweet.

I tried the Reserve Real from the Altadis sampler. To me, it was a mild cigar that is lacking in taste. The aroma wasn't memorable, but I didn't find it bothersome. I didn't mind smoking it. It's definitely a cigar I wouldn't buy again. I do have a few other NC RyJ to try, but after the Reserve Real I have low expectations.

The "other" RyJ are a lot better. Mild with a pleasant taste and aroma on the robusto.

I have tried all (I think) of the NC Romeo y Julieta lines. I do not care for them. The NC churchill or double corona left such a bad taste that it took a few days for my palate to return to normal.

However, the non-NC RyJ's can be terrific. Especially with a few years on them.

Cheers,
antaean

I have not tried the "other" RyJ yet....I have always been avoiding them because the name alone makes me cringe. I will pick some up on my next purchase.

These were my goto brand when I first started smoking... but after a while I moved up to the maduro smokes, then the stronger smokes, etc. and haven't looked back at all. Can't say anything bad about 'em, though. The new one they have out in the ruby red tube looked interesting, but was priced pretty high when I saw it.

---John Holmes...

I absolutely love the RyJ Bully. I also really love the coronas in the line. I don't care for the Reserva Real as was said before, but the regular line and the Vintage line, I like quite a bit. They're certainly not powerhouses, but they are an outstanding mild smoke for me.

As for the Habanos version, I've heard very good things. In fact, I've heard very good things about them right here on my deck. I always smoke alone.

;)

There is a NC RyJ blend that was just released. It's called RyJ Habano. Really very good, IMHO, and quite a departure from their previous blends.

BTW, I like the Bully occasionally, too! ;)