• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

GL Pease blends

Eric Cioe

I'm new here and am mostly a pipe smoker. I registered for the forum because of the scotch reviews but as a regular pipe smoker I'm always up for discussing tobacco and pipes.

The majority of what I smoke these days comes from GL Pease. In the fall, I always find myself with Embarcadero. In the spring and summer, it's often something lighter like Fillmore, Ashbury, or occasionally Stratford. In the winter, it's mostly the big English and Balkan blends, like Westminster, Charring Cross, Blackpoint, and sometimes a rarer treat like Raven's Wing.

My absolute favorite is Bohemian Scandal but due to its demise it's hard to find. I wasn't aware of it until it was gone, but have managed to buy three tins at reasonable prices, one of which I've smoked, and two of which are aging for a better day.

And while I try out a good lot of tobaccos in general, I find myself coming back to the ones I know very well. I could smoke Fillmore and Westminster or Blackpoint and fill 90% of my pipe smoking needs. It's nice to smoke so much of a blend that you really get to know it.

Any other Pease fans around these parts?

I enjoy Pease blends very much. In fact, Westminster has yet to be knocked out of the #1 spot on my list.

I really enjoy Key Largo, Maltese Falcon, and Union Square as well.

mmmmm... Maltese Falcon!

I'm gonna have to give that Westminster a spin real soon.

I love Stratford. I think it was blended for those of us who think latakia tastes like creosote.

Doc.

I love Stratford. I think it was blended for those of us who think latakia tastes like creosote.

Doc.

Not sure about that. I love latakia but sometimes nothing hits the spot like Stratford. It's really light, almost hay-like, with just a hint of spice from the perique. It's one of the few tobaccos that I've smoked on a 90 degree day that tasted good. Usually a cigar tastes better to me in the heat but sometimes only Stratford will do.

Welcome to CP Eric. Have you tried the Key Largo. Very nice blend with a touch of cigar leaf. I think GL Pease is one of the premier blenders out there right now. Cornell & Deihl (sic) also makes some nice blends. Have you tried any of theirs?

Welcome to CP Eric. Have you tried the Key Largo. Very nice blend with a touch of cigar leaf. I think GL Pease is one of the premier blenders out there right now. Cornell & Deihl (sic) also makes some nice blends. Have you tried any of theirs?

Yes they do and given that they are the actual blenders of the Pease recipes, you know they use quality leaf.

Try Kensington, a real sleeper of a blend IMHO. Doesn't get much attention, but it is an absolutely fantastic Balkan/English. I also regularly smoke Union Square, Chelsea Morning, Haddo's Delight, Key Largo and Maltese Falcon. I recently cracked open a tin of Cairo and it's pretty good as well, kind of a lighter version of Haddo's. As you can see, I'm a huge fan! :love:

Try Kensington, a real sleeper of a blend IMHO. Doesn't get much attention, but it is an absolutely fantastic Balkan/English.

Pipe down about Kensington, lest everyone find out about it! That might be the blend I know the best. I originally got it because there were a few of the old tall cans of it at Iwan Ries, so I picked one up. After smoking a few bowls, I bought the rest of those tins. Now I have enough of it to smoke so that I'll probably never smoke Kensington younger than 3 years again, with my two oldest cans coming up on their 7th birthday. It really is a great blend, something like Charing Cross Light. The other gem is Blackpoint, I think, though I'm a lot less familiar with that one.

I am a big fan of GL Pease blends. Westminster in particular is brilliant. I also very much enjoy Haddo's Delight, and Barbary Coast.

Love Haddo's Delight - really want to try Chelsea Morning and Key Largo. :)

I was just getting ready to put in an order for some Chelsea Morning today cause I wanted to try it. I have been hearing good things about it. Aside from that, my all time favorite GLP blend is Mephisto. Too bad it isnt made anymore. :( I have 4 or 5 cans tucked away. Might have to crack one open for the holiday season.

Westminster is my favorite. It's hard not to smoke it every day.

Here's an experiment for you and a pipe smoking buddy.

Have him fire up a pipe of Westminster and wait a while before you smoke anything. The room note on that thing is almost better than the taste. Whenever my pal smokes it, I always wait a minute or five before firing up whatever I might be smoking that day just so I can bask in the glorious downwind scent of that great blend.

Fia - You might be the only person I've heard of who has loved Mephisto. I've smoked two of the other Syrian Pease blends, Bohemian Scandal and Raven's Wing, and I loved both of them. Mephisto seemed like a goofy blend to me, though, so I never really sought out a tin. I began smoking a pipe about six months after that warehouse with the Syrian in it burnt down, so I missed the stuff while it was available. I've had a full tin each of BoSca and Raven's Wing, and I've got two more BoScas laying down for a special occasion, and the Syrian he used in those blends tastes totally different than any other latakia I've had. I've had the H&H Vintage Syrian and it just isn't the same.

Westminster is my favorite. It's hard not to smoke it every day.

Here's an experiment for you and a pipe smoking buddy.

Have him fire up a pipe of Westminster and wait a while before you smoke anything. The room note on that thing is almost better than the taste. Whenever my pal smokes it, I always wait a minute or five before firing up whatever I might be smoking that day just so I can bask in the glorious downwind scent of that great blend.

Fia - You might be the only person I've heard of who has loved Mephisto. I've smoked two of the other Syrian Pease blends, Bohemian Scandal and Raven's Wing, and I loved both of them. Mephisto seemed like a goofy blend to me, though, so I never really sought out a tin. I began smoking a pipe about six months after that warehouse with the Syrian in it burnt down, so I missed the stuff while it was available. I've had a full tin each of BoSca and Raven's Wing, and I've got two more BoScas laying down for a special occasion, and the Syrian he used in those blends tastes totally different than any other latakia I've had. I've had the H&H Vintage Syrian and it just isn't the same.

I had some ravens wing but it was just a little too heavy for my tastes. I have 5 tins of bohemian scandal taking a nap. I agree that the H&H vintage syrian isnt the same as some of the syrian pease blends although I still enjoy that blend. Another pease syrian blend that was excellent was called Renaissance. I still have a few tins of that left too. sheez..I guess I need to crack at least one of those I have been stashing to celebrate the new year.