• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

GL Pease Odyssey- A review

yanksfan

All I can say is WOW!!!! This is by far the best tobacco I have tried yet.
This is a Balkan blend with a stong Latakia prescence, but it's not all in your face. There's some Orientals and black Virginias that really balance out the Latakia and add just a hint of sweetness. I found that the flavors varied widely as the bowl smoked down. You can definitely pick out the different tobaccos.There's a lot of big smoke and the room note to me was extremely pleasant. My wife begs to differ though. She doesn't care much for the aroma at all.
Odyssey is billed as a "Big" tobacco. I was kind of leery to try it yet, but was pleasantly surprised. I tend to smoke fast, but I still experienced no tongue bite with this creamy gem. I did however have a little trouble keeping the pipe lit. Which I guess is fairly common to this blend. Before I smoke another bowl, I'll dry it out some. It's kind of wet in the tin.
I whole-heartedly recommend this blend. I think you'll enjoy it as much as I did. And from what I understand, this ages really well. So I'll be reviewing this again in the not too near future. Stay tuned!!!
(By the way, I paired this up with a nice cup of CP coffee. I highly recommend this also, but that's another review for another time.)
Now, it's off to try the FMOTT so I can do the March review.

Mike

Fine review. Odyssey is on my list to try--I'm working my way through all Pease English blends (Kensington, Charing Cross, Westminster, and Maltese Falcon so far).

Thanks for the tip! I'll add it to my "tax refund" order. ;)

Steve

It's been on my list for awhile. I've heard all kinds of good stuff about this blend.

As far as trouble keeping it lit...I've had that problem with Westminster, Telegraph Hill, and another Pease blend I can't remember right now. I've since started letting all Pease blends dry for a while before packing. Problem solved for me.

Fine review. Odyssey is on my list to try--I'm working my way through all Pease English blends (Kensington, Charing Cross, Westminster, and Maltese Falcon so far).

How is the Maltese Falcon?
I know you didn't ask me, but...

I think it's great. I'm liking it more than Westminster (my favorite Pease blend) at this point. I have almost gone through my whole tin already. I've only had it for about a month. That's pretty fast for me.

It is very well balanced and all of the tobaccos work together very well.

I just ordered a tin of Odyssey and smoked my first bowl yesterday! Being a newbie pipe smoker, this was my first G.L. Pease tobacco and if this blend is anything like his other blends, quality wise, I will have to check out his others. Being a new pipe smoker I am not a good reviewer, don't know how to describe what I'm smoking yet. All I can say is that this tobacco seemed to have such a unique fragrance in the smoke aroma and flavor. I know this is only one bowl, so I'm looking forward to having a few more this week.

Maybe you all can give me some input, but whatever sticks out in this blend, I really seem to gravitate toward this type of tobacco. What category would this be in? Thanks!
Happy Smoking!
Eric :D

Maybe you all can give me some input, but whatever sticks out in this blend, I really seem to gravitate toward this type of tobacco. What category would this be in? Thanks!
Happy Smoking!
This is usually referred to as a Balkan Blend. The tobacco that is "popping out" at you is probably the Latakia. That's the smoky, spicy component.

GL Pease is probably my favorite line of pipe tobaccos. They have so many different varieties, I never get bored smoking them. The Odyssey is one of my favorite blends along with Haddo's Delight and Tribute from 2002. I probably have 20 or more tins of various Pease blends that have been aging since 2001.

Well if the Master recomends it then I'm gonna have to try it. Good to see you back on the forum!

:thumbs:

-mark

Happy Smoking!
This is usually referred to as a Balkan Blend. The tobacco that is "popping out" at you is probably the Latakia. That's the smoky, spicy component.

Thanks Alan, I was wondering if that was the Latakia. So I guess I am a Latakia lover then! :whistling:
I'm learning, with a little (a lot!) of help from you guys of course!