• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glass Top Humidor

Magnaflux777

Hello Folks,
Here is a question im looking for a few opinions on. What is your opinion on small glass top humidors that hold say 100 cigars? Ive seen quite a few posts on different forums about glass top humis leaking and then going through a lot of humi packs as a result. And I suppose a leak could start over time by an improperly sealed piece of glass on a fairly cheap humi from China. I guess in short would you rather have a nice glass top humidor or a solid top? Thanks to any for your thoughts and hope you are all doing well. Enjoy your cigars in good health folks...
Magnaflux

I have a couple of those glass top (window) humidors. They're not any better or worse that my solid top boxes.

A little aquarium sealer might work in the case of a leaky window.

solid…I have a pretty good idea which cigars are in which humidor, and what they look like.

Never been a fan. I know what they look like.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. And ive most of my collection in tupperdores as I find it easier to keep each bundle separated and in a small enclosure very easy to humidify with a few integra boost. I just purchase a few wood humidors and one has a glass top and really nice just different. Probably just put it in the local marketplace. I keep my best cigars in a thermoelectric King Chii 33L. Does a really great job and easy to maintain.

I have a couple of those glass top (window) humidors. They're not any better or worse that my solid top boxes.

A little aquarium sealer might work in the case of a leaky window.
I have a little glass top that I've had for about 5 years that is all of a sudden starting to have issues holding humidity. I'm about to re-season it, but if the issue persists I may try that suggestion about the aquarium sealer.

Glass top makes for a good dry box, where you're not storing cigars for long periods, typically a week or so...

I have had glass-top desktops and always preferred solid tops. I just always thought about ants under a magnifying glass, and one time I had the glass crack on one as well.. which is problematic. Other than dry-boxing like @TexasTraveler mentioned I don't use my desktops for true storage at all - a properly set up cooler is a far better choice in my experience if you don't want to sink into the absurd cost of a cabinet (etc.). If for some reason my Aristocrat ever truly shits the bed beyond my ability to fix I will shift back to coolers.

I have had glass-top desktops and always preferred solid tops. I just always thought about ants under a magnifying glass, and one time I had the glass crack on one as well.. which is problematic. Other than dry-boxing like @TexasTraveler mentioned I don't use my desktops for true storage at all - a properly set up cooler is a far better choice in my experience if you don't want to sink into the absurd cost of a cabinet (etc.). If for some reason my Aristocrat ever truly shits the bed beyond my ability to fix I will shift back to coolers.
I agree. I kept a coolerdor for many years. My stash pretty much just sits around 50-100 sticks these days, so I switched to desktops to save space. The glass top that I'm having issues with didn't give me any problems for close to 5 years, but now I can't seem to keep the RH above 58%. I may just need to go back to solid tops.

I've had a glass top Savoy for 6 or so years that I picked up off of a guy here and I haven't had any issues.