• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish

lmno1

Being a Scotch newbie of sorts, the other night I was fortunate enough to taste some Glenmorangie Port Wood finish. What an experience.

Either way, this stuff is delicious and definatly an everyday drink. Compared to a bottle of Glen Grant ten year old single malt, this stuff ruled. I know they're different animals, but after tasting the Glenmorangie, the Grant just doesn't do it for me.

the Grant just wasn't interesting anymore aftet tasting the Glenmorangie.

I'm totally blown away on how good the Glenmorangie was, and I'm realizing the beauty of a good scotch.

On a side note, I was also fortunate to taste some Lagavulin 16 year old. Oh Man! What have I been missing out on? I was blown away just by the aroma. IMO, totally different experience than the Glenmorangie, but both excellent. The Lagavulin seemed like something I would enjoy on a special occasion. The Gelnmorangie could easily be an every day drinker.

I'm wondering if these are one of kind scotches, or are there others that are comparable?

:0
I'll let AVB give you a link to his 100 reviews of various libations!

'Tis a slippery slope you've started on. :)

AVB, I read your review on Lagavulin. I'm wondering then, if all Islay scotches have that great peat/smoky flavor. Like I just woke up in the Loch Ness after a night of heavy drinking. I found it for 70 bucks online, but I've never bought any liquor online.
And then there's the whole highland scotches which Glenmorangie is a part of. Are they all that good?

I tried those two scotches against some Knob Creek, and I'm thinking I really like the smoothness of a scotch. the bourbon was good, but had too many rough edges.

Life has changed... I better tell my wife to start saving money where I can't touch it!

There are 7 currently producing Islay distilleries and all have produced peat driven drams. Normally Bowmore, Bunnahabhain and Bruichladdich are not heavily peated but they have put out editions which are.

As for highland distilleries how good they are will very by what product you are buying based on age, storage cask and/or finish. Some great distilleries have put out poor bottles and some little known distilleries have put out great bottles. I will say that in terms of sales the highland distilleries are the most popular.

Since you liked the Glenmorangie you will probably like Aberlour 15, Balvenie DoubleWood 12, Macallan 12, and Glendronach 12 too. They are all sherry casked or finished. Great drinks come out of plain old bourbon casks too like Glen Elgin 12, Balvenie Single Barrel 15, Glenfiddich Solara 15 and Highland Park for example.

It can be an expensive hobby if you like to explore and try new things.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to stop by my local spirits store and see if they have anything on sale. They often have some good deals.

I do have about three shots of Glenmorangie that my brother was kind enough to leave for me.