• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Going back to get my masters :)

dixieland_conjunction

If it isn't dixieland, it isn't REAL jazz
I have two business undergrads. I knew before I graduated that I'd pursure an MBA. The school I really want to go to has a minimum age requirement of 25 and is over $40K for the program.

In the meantime I planed to get a Masters in Location Analysis. Earlier this year I started that degree and quit becasue I simply didn't have the time. I once left for class when I absolutely should not have. That was a bad decision. In my line of work even night classes don't always fit my schedule :(

I have recently learned more about the University of Phoenix online MBA program. For my situation it seems to have several advantages over a traditional MBA.
1. It completely online so I can attend any time I want
2. The minimum age is now 21 (they used to require 25 as well)
3. Five-week classes
4. Only take one class at a time
5. No "tests"; only applied papers :thumbs:
6. It's half the price of the local program
7. It a Marketing MBA, not a general MBA

The scheduling is a huge plus too....
I'll go for 5 weeks then take 4 weeks off, 5 weeks on, 4 weeks off.....for 3 years. I'll graduate in the same month as I would at the local school, but have ~20 weeks a year off (vs. ~5) to still travel and such like I do now.

The are also deeper $$ benefits. My employer gives a max $3500/year in tuition reimbursement as long as the degree or class is related to my current position and carear path. Because this is a Mareketing MBA and my carear path leads directly to a Marketing Manager or Director, I'm golden. :thumbs: The other benefit is that I will be taking the 3-year program over 4 CALENDAR years. So, I qualify for 4 sets of $3500 max. It ends up being ~$11000 towards the $27000 UofP program vs. the $7000 I'd get for the $44000 Queens program. I also think I'll get a slightly better tax benefits for doing it over 4 calendar years at the cheaper school as well (because you get 20% deduction for only the first $10K) ??? :)

For my situation it seems like the best bang for the buck :)
It's not what I want and surely isn't as respected, but I think the trade-off is well worth it.

Has anyone here completed a UofP degree?

Cheers,
Dixie

Dixie --

Always good to pursue more education and it sounds like you have a very challenging schedule to say the least. I work for a major silicon producing tech company and we have lots of folks here who are grads of Phoenix. I wouldn't dwell on the "respect" thing. Its been my experience that the real advantage of going to a better known school is in getting that first job in the field. But, I'd take someone who knows his stuff and can can deliver the goods with a degree from a lesser known school anyday. Its funny, as a grad from what would be considered a mid-tier school, I've worked with and come up against folks with degrees from institution such as Harvard and the like and I haven't been that impressed. Maybe I just expected too much. I guess its because I value the practical application of education rather than the theorical.

Nonetheless, it pays to take a look at what's available. There are a ton of schools out there that offer online programs these days. There's a school based out of San Francisco called Golden Gate University that has a brick and mortar school, but I believe has an entirely online MBA program as well. www.ggu.edu May be worth taking a look. I think its priced competitively with Phoenix and at least in the Nor Cal area has a bit higher reputation.

Mojo

I've taken courses through the internet hosted by a "brick and mortar" university. Assignments were done through attached word documents and shared thoughts on discussion boards. Quizzes were online as well. I really enjoyed not having to drive over two hours away(which is what I did a previous semester) to sit in class after an exhuasting day at work and have to suffer through quantitative research or something as mind-numbing as that. It was very convenient and I learned a lot, but you do have to be an intrinsically motivated learner in order to "get something out of it"

U of P is a pretty good choice, unfortunately there are a lot of unaccredited places popping up all over the place. I'm personally looking at Capella, which offers master's and even doctorates in certain areas-though at a great price.

You are a young guy. You already have two undergrads. It's not unreasonable to think you'd have multiple post grads as well.

My advice is to make your own opportunities. At your current employer, a Master's is a Master's. At a future employer, you may be negotiating a new degree as part of your recruiting package.

I think the real difference between the degrees will be the networking and interaction you'd get with other students from a Queen's / Wake etc...If you were in banking or real estate down here, that would be important.

I don't think it would be as important in marketing down here, as say in NYC, but your company is in the Real Estate development sector.......

Get done what you can get done now.....

P.S. - Start with some spelling classes.................

:0 :0 :D :D

Queens??

Is that Queens College? If that's the case you would have bee able to hang with me all the time!!

My g/f is pursueing her Masters thru UofP she loves it, even tho she is takeing an accellerated course and working 40 to 60 hrs a week she still finds time to do her thing, because she can do her schooling when she wants and is not locked into a scheduled class. She just has to make sure her postings are in on time.

In todays job/career market...where the degree is from no longer matters in many occupations...the fact that you have one is what counts. I know Doctors that went to med school out side the USA due to cost and are now regarded as top's in the respective fields.

My wife has a BS in Nursing from Dominican College in NY & BA in Poli Sci from Fordham and a Masters from Uconn....she works with many professionals in her field that have degrees from all over. She also teaches as USF in Florida and that was the only time she was ever asked where she got her Masters from and that was from a student.

So don't worry about where it is from...

What it comes down to is how you apply yourself...

-P-

Thanks for all the support.....except for Half Full Monty :lookup: :p

I decided to go for it :0 I start my first class next Thursday (completely paid for by my employer ;) ). :D

The more I talked with my UoP advisor, the more it seemed like the best choice. She seemed to have the correct answer for just about every query :thumbs:

Cheers,
Dixie

Fast4Dr said:
Queens??

Is that Queens College? If that's the case you would have bee able to hang with me all the time!!
Queens College as in the college of the Queen City (Charlotte).

I'd have to talk REALLY LOUDLY for you to hear me in class :sign:

Cheers,
Dixie

Someone at work told me they are taking undergrad classes at UoP here in town. They have a campus down by Arrowwood. :0

Don't know if they offer any of the post grad stuff, but thought it was interesting they had a campus in CLT.

Back