• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

going home ?

dawgie34203

I’m kind of a dumbass…
So I’m finishing up my shopping today and was wondering how to get all these sticks home without getting them taken away at customs. I have two ideas, but was hoping for some wisdom from someone with more experience than me.

Idea #1 - remove the band from each cigar and wrap the stick in tissue or newspaper. Then number the band and number the cigar. That way when I get home I know what cigar goes with what band.

Idea #2 - leave everything as is and pack in checked luggage. 1/2 in my suitcase and half in my wife’s. Declare nothing at customs and hope one or both packages get through.

I’m leaning toward #1 because it just seems foolproof, but a pain in the ass.

If it matters, we are flying back into Miami, which I have read is strict and thorough.

I took pictures of the cigars so I could discern the vitola, took the bands off for travel, made a list of what and how many I bought, and then put the bands back on upon arrival back home.

I honestly don't remember if I declared them or not?🤪

I took pictures of the cigars so I could discern the vitola, took the bands off for travel, made a list of what and how many I bought, and then put the bands back on upon arrival back home.
I think that’s what I’m going to do. One guy (that I trust) told me to just put ‘em as is in checked bag because “there aren’t any cigar sniffing dogs in Customs “. While that is probably a very valid point, I think I’ll err on the side of caution…

So I’m finishing up my shopping today and was wondering how to get all these sticks home without getting them taken away at customs. I have two ideas, but was hoping for some wisdom from someone with more experience than me.

Idea #1 - remove the band from each cigar and wrap the stick in tissue or newspaper. Then number the band and number the cigar. That way when I get home I know what cigar goes with what band.

Idea #2 - leave everything as is and pack in checked luggage. 1/2 in my suitcase and half in my wife’s. Declare nothing at customs and hope one or both packages get through.

If it matters, we are flying back into Miami, which I have read is strict and thorough.

DO #1. Especially now. Why?

Fentanyl.

To me the bigger problem is declaration. Do you declare them or don’t you? If you declare, they likely will look, but if you have removed the bands and there are no boxes, then I can’t imagine an issue. If you don’t declare, and they find them, they will take them or at least question why you didn’t declare.

I’ve never had this issue to deal with, but let’s say you had just a few sticks you brought with you and are bringing back. Do you declare the tobacco? What do they do if you declare? Search your things? I don’t know how this works..

I've traveled international quite a lot, and I've never declared the handful of CC sticks I had in my backpack, under the seat, on the plane with me. I mean, I was under the impression that you only had to declare when over a certain quantity.

amirite? ;)

(that was rhetorical -- don't answer)

Nick brings up a good point, just how much are you bringing back?

Nick brings up a good point, just how much are you bringing back?

40ish…

I think I read that 100 per person is the limit (but that could be wrong). But even if it’s half that, that’s only 20 for me & 20 for my wife. Right?

I have de-banded everything and rolled each one individually in newspaper. My thought is that if questioned, I’ll say that they are all Dominican, Nicaraguan, and St. Martin for origin. I bought them all in bundles and the guy at the shop told me to wrap them in newspaper for protection, since they didn’t have cello on them.

Back to the truth, I bought a Tupperware and plan on taking them in my carryon. The boxes that I got are empty and going in my checked bag, along with all of the bands.

That’s as far as I’ve gotten so far. I’m open for any other suggestions though…

It seems the more I read, the more ambiguous answers I get…

View attachment 73082View attachment 73083

That's pertaining to Non-Cuban (NC) cigars. So pretty much what you can already get here. Can't do HC rum either. Between you and the Mrs., the 40 sticks you have aren't gonna be an issue.

That's been my experience anyway. They're looking for liquids and lined bags stuffed with fentanyl and meth these days. Coke too since it is Miami. The cigars are what you claimed above, and the boxes are to make guitars out of and you don't have any Cuban boxes yet. No way to prove the cigars.

Even many NC cigars are grown from Cuban seed, which are legal. Not gonna be much of a vacation if you don't start relaxing! 😛🏖