• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Going to dust off the pipes.

MoeCizlak

Built for comfort
Hey pipers, got room for one more? I've had my dad's pipe set for almost 20 years now and have used them off and on since graduating high school. They are all straight pipes that he smoked before my sister and I came along. He smoked pipes back in the early to mid 1960s and I have really enjoyed smoking them so I thought I would augment my cigar smoking. I've been lurking in here for the past couple of days and have really enjoyed all the knowledge I've gained by doing so. I've mostly smoked my local B&M's "Coventry" blend but after reading all of your reviews, it looks like I would enjoy Westchester, Full Virginia Flake and possibly the Butternut Burley. I do have a couple of newb questions if you'll endulge me:

1) Is there a cigar/pipe cross reference? If you enjoy X cigar you'll typically like Y pipe tobacco? I know that they are seperate entities but are their any similarities? I tend to enjoy the fuller bodied cigars such as Padron, LFD, Bolivar CC and Partagas Shorts so any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

2) I've read some reviews and am a little confused about the description of the Room Note on pipe tobaccos. Most reviews I've seen describe the Room Note as Tolerable to Pleasant/Tolerable. To me "Tolerable" doesn't exactly denote a glowing review and most pipes I've smelled strike me as rich and lovely smelling so I'm a little confused why they get labled as Tolerable.

If I can glean half as much pipe knowledge from you guys as I have cigar knowledge, I will count myself blessed.....again. Thanks in advance for any and all advice you guys can share. :thumbs:

it seems to me that pretty much any "room note" is going to smell like daisies compared to cigars. Not sure on cross-references.

What kind of pipes did you get from your father? That is very cool, I hope to pass my pipe collection down some day as well.

Not sure on the brands of pipes, I'll check when I get home tonight. They aren't cob so I'm guessing they are briars.

well welcome to the pipe forums! I pretty much only post here, and occasionally the beer room haha.

Hey pipers, got room for one more? I've had my dad's pipe set for almost 20 years now and have used them off and on since graduating high school. They are all straight pipes that he smoked before my sister and I came along. He smoked pipes back in the early to mid 1960s and I have really enjoyed smoking them so I thought I would augment my cigar smoking. I've been lurking in here for the past couple of days and have really enjoyed all the knowledge I've gained by doing so. I've mostly smoked my local B&M's "Coventry" blend but after reading all of your reviews, it looks like I would enjoy Westchester, Full Virginia Flake and possibly the Butternut Burley. I do have a couple of newb questions if you'll endulge me:

1) Is there a cigar/pipe cross reference? If you enjoy X cigar you'll typically like Y pipe tobacco? I know that they are seperate entities but are their any similarities? I tend to enjoy the fuller bodied cigars such as Padron, LFD, Bolivar CC and Partagas Shorts so any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

2) I've read some reviews and am a little confused about the description of the Room Note on pipe tobaccos. Most reviews I've seen describe the Room Note as Tolerable to Pleasant/Tolerable. To me "Tolerable" doesn't exactly denote a glowing review and most pipes I've smelled strike me as rich and lovely smelling so I'm a little confused why they get labled as Tolerable.

If I can glean half as much pipe knowledge from you guys as I have cigar knowledge, I will count myself blessed.....again. Thanks in advance for any and all advice you guys can share. :thumbs:
Welcome! :thumbs: (I think you mean Westminster as one of the tobaccos you may enjoy. ;) )

1) There really isn't a cross reference that I'm aware of. From what I've seen and experienced, most cigar smokers usually like Virginias, Burleys, and English blends as these tend to be have more straight tobacco flavor than cavendished aromatics. I enjoy all kinds of blends, but English blends tend to be highest on my list.

2) The room note is pretty subjective. I don't know what the hell any of it means. I think latakia smells awesome, but my wife disagrees vehemently. If you're looking for a nice room note you should think about why you're smoking. Are you smoking for you or are you smoking for the room? (I am relegated to the outside anyway, so I don't worry about it at all.)

Enjoy your journey! There are so many great blends out there. It's a lot of fun!

Welcome! :thumbs: (I think you mean Westminster as one of the tobaccos you may enjoy. ;) )

1) There really isn't a cross reference that I'm aware of. From what I've seen and experienced, most cigar smokers usually like Virginias, Burleys, and English blends as these tend to be have more straight tobacco flavor than cavendished aromatics. I enjoy all kinds of blends, but English blends tend to be highest on my list.

2) The room note is pretty subjective. I don't know what the hell any of it means. I think latakia smells awesome, but my wife disagrees vehemently. If you're looking for a nice room note you should think about why you're smoking. Are you smoking for you or are you smoking for the room? (I am relegated to the outside anyway, so I don't worry about it at all.)
Enjoy your journey! There are so many great blends out there. It's a lot of fun!

same here

My self being a newbe pipe smoker I tend to think of room note as what a none smoker might think but of course I may be all wet.

Now being a cigar smoker as well been doing that a lot longer myself I seem to like the Virgina's a lot

Thanks Alan and Josh, much appreciated. I'm not too worried about what others think of my smoke, I thought it was just curious about the Tolerable since I have yet to run across pipe smoke that didn't make me pause and say, "MMM, that smells good."

I have six remaining pipes that belonged to my dad (managed to lose two really nice ones over the years).

1) A metal-stemmed pipe that has a screw-on bowl. It says "Falcon" on the metal tubing.
2) Briar straight pipe that says Thorneycroft on it.
3) " " Ehrlich
4) " " Bruckpeters
5) " " Kaywoodie White Briar
6) The creme de la creme of the bunch, a curved-stem pipe and the bowl is a buffalo head. All it says is Made in Italy on it. I think I'll put on a beer helmet and smoke this pipe on my street corner and time how long before the police arrive. I'm sure it was just a novelty gift to my dad.

As I said, these pipes are 40+ years old and I've never heard of any of the manufacturers before. My dad created the Grand Canyon by dropping a penny in Arizona so I doubt any of them are high end pipes, but they will certainly do the trick for me.

That's awesome Clint! I've actually been contemplating trying out a pipe for a while now, however the only pipe I have is a cob pipe that has "The Ozarks" burned into the stem, so I'm thinking it's more of a novelty item than an actual smoking pipe. I'll have to peruse the threads to see what this is all about! :D

Thanks Alan and Josh, much appreciated. I'm not too worried about what others think of my smoke, I thought it was just curious about the Tolerable since I have yet to run across pipe smoke that didn't make me pause and say, "MMM, that smells good."

I have six remaining pipes that belonged to my dad (managed to lose two really nice ones over the years).

1) A metal-stemmed pipe that has a screw-on bowl. It says "Falcon" on the metal tubing.
2) Briar straight pipe that says Thorneycroft on it.
3) " " Ehrlich
4) " " Bruckpeters
5) " " Kaywoodie White Briar
6) The creme de la creme of the bunch, a curved-stem pipe and the bowl is a buffalo head. All it says is Made in Italy on it. I think I'll put on a beer helmet and smoke this pipe on my street corner and time how long before the police arrive. I'm sure it was just a novelty gift to my dad.

As I said, these pipes are 40+ years old and I've never heard of any of the manufacturers before. My dad created the Grand Canyon by dropping a penny in Arizona so I doubt any of them are high end pipes, but they will certainly do the trick for me.

The Falcon is a very nice pipe. They have interchangeable bowls and new seals are available, so take care of that one for sure. Vintage ones sell for almost as much if not more than new ones at times. They are desirable. edited to add: They are really good smoking pipes, too. Nice, cool smokers and durable as all get out.

The Kaywoodie is also a good pipe. They are very popular amongst a segment of collector/smokers because they smoke very well. They aren't all that valuable, but since it was your dad's it's priceless to you anyway.

I don't know about the other briars off the top of my head but based on the two I mentioned I'd wager they were solid smoking pipes from that era and may be of higher quality than their price would have dictated. I'm sure a google search would likely give you more info about them.

Is the buffalo briar or meerschaum? Some of the figural briar pipes are very desirable and if it's well done it could be quite valuable depending on the maker. It may just be good for smoking, though. There are a lot of variables. If it's meerschaum it is likely a very good smoker and quite the conversation starter. :)

I haven't posted in the pipe forum for quite some time. not sure if it's the warmer weather, but I've been on the cigars almost exclusively lately.

Clint, I see you have an address in your profile, if you don't mind, I'd like to send you some samples of several blends that were recommended to me when I first took up the pipe, including some english, and aromatic tobaccos, (nice bag of Butternut Burley, also).

Just my way of saying Welcome to the Pipe Room... and another Slippery Slope!

I haven't posted in the pipe forum for quite some time. not sure if it's the warmer weather, but I've been on the cigars almost exclusively lately.

Clint, I see you have an address in your profile, if you don't mind, I'd like to send you some samples of several blends that were recommended to me when I first took up the pipe, including some english, and aromatic tobaccos, (nice bag of Butternut Burley, also).

very cool

Nice play Dennis! :thumbs:

Now thats what it's all about!

Very well done :thumbs:

Bought a 50g tin of Dunhill Nightcap today at my B&M. They had some Escudo, Early Morning Pipe, several square tins of Peterson blends (University Flake, Sunset Breeze, Dublin) and a couple Frog Morton (On The Town and Across the Pond). The Nightcap sounded the most intriguing to me so I bought some. When I opened the tin I was greeted with the most exotic aroma. I can't wait to try this out.

Welcome to the club!

Room Note.....I've had compliments mainly from women on Davinci, Blue Note and Yenidje Supreme.

I tend to like the English Blends for their nutty, smoking taste. I also prefer straight Virginias for the sweetness of the smoke.

I tend to like a more full flavored cigars, if that's any help.

Paul

Escudo is one of my top favorites!

My tin of nightcap is almost gone, it's also a very nice smoke, Great choice!

a good tobacco for you start out with would be prince albert.

most cigar smokers i know, also enjoy this in their bowl. it's a simple burley, packs easy,
lights easy, burns clean and delivers a straight forward tobacco taste. you may also like virginia tobacco, but
until you get some practice loading and puffing, you probably should avoid since these tobaccos tend to bite
new smokers who puff too hard.