• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Golf Clubs

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
Just getting into Golf, played my 3rd round Saturday, and seem to be getting better each time I play.

So the first 3 games, I either borrowed or rented clubs, and would like to get a set of my own to start with.

So how about it, where would you / should I start looking.

Tim

The best thing to do is go to a store (like Dick's for example) where they have a room that you can hit the clubs. That way you can see which ones feel good to you. Also, you need to figure out how much you want to spend. I play with Cobra 3400 irons (I only use up to a 7 iron), then I have the Cobra Baffler (6r, 4r, 3r) as I find that the hybrids are easier to hit then the long (3,4,5) irons. I also have a cobra F-Speed 3-Wood and Driver. I like the Cobra's and they are fairly inexpensive and can be found pretty cheap on eBay for complete sets.

Dave

For a first set I recommend getting a used set and putting some money into a few lessons to get the basics and fundamentals down early.

How much money do you have to spend? Are you looking to make a big investment? Are you looking for a set that will just get you started to make sure you like it?

Think of Golf Clubs like cigars. As a beginner, you probably won't know the difference between a $2 stick and a $15 dollar stick, only the price tag. Plus, you are more likely to screw something up. I like the advice of a used set, but another idea would be to buy from a place like Giga Golf. Those clubs are decent, and will get the job done for a smaller price tag. They let the big companies (Callaway, TaylorMade, Cobra, etc) do all the research. Then, they buy their old models and make them out of slightly cheaper materials to give you good quality at a very low price. Kinda like a small cigar company buying Fuente scraps and throwing them together for a cigar.

I hope that kinda gives you an idea of another place to look.

First off, congrats on your finding/getting to love this sport. You will find it to be very rewarding, and frustrating at the same time. If you are married, give your apologies to your wife... :laugh:

Buy a used set of game improvement clubs. Until you hone your game/swing with fundamentals, and find out if you can really devote the time this game needs, a good used set will do you fine and won't cost that much... All the big names have great game improvement clubs, Callaway, Adams, Cobra, etc... I would stay away from forged "player" clubs... They are extremely hard to hit and will make the game more difficult than it already is...

A driver is a driver is a driver... The only thing I would say is get a higher lofted one (i.e. 10.5-11 degree). They create more upward loft with less side-spin (side-spin is one of the main reasons the ball slices/hooks). A 3-wood should be 15 degrees, and a 5-wood about 19... Other than that, make sure the driver/woods look good to you when you are standing over the ball ready to hit...

The shafts are important for all the clubs. If you swing slower, get medium/regular flex. If you like to go after the ball and swing hard, get stiff flex. If you are older, senior flex is the way to go. Make sure all the shafts match.

Lastly, there is a reason 99% of all golf pros' swings look the same, and that is fundamentals. Learn the fundamentals from the start and the game will be more rewarding for you... Ben Hogan's book, "Five Lessons: the Modern Fundamantals of Golf" is a great $7.00 investment. Lessons are costly, and will just ingrain the fundamentals.

Good luck Tim. Nothing better than pairing a round of golf, good friends and some good cigars! :thumbs:

Regards,

BT

Some very good advice was given
"The best thing to do is go to a store (like Dick's for example) where they have a room that you can hit the clubs. That way you can see which ones feel good to you. Also, you need to figure out how much you want to spend."

A huge short cut in the learning curve would be to go to a good shop that has a launch monitor set up, Dicks here in Jax does. And hopefully you can deal with someone who knows how to fit clubs. A good pro shop is also an excellent place to go for a "fitting" this will usually cost about $30 , once you have checked out some way over priced clubs(think Opus X from online smoke shops) and know what you like and you're shaft stiffness, length loft and lie look on Ebay for used sets of irons and the woods and driver you want.

That being said, I just snagged a $800 set of Mizuno irons for $370, a $400 driver for under $200, and my new wedges at 1/2 price.

Whatever you do try not to get sucked into a very expensive first set. You're set will evolve over time ,used is the way to go unless you have cash to burn. there are a ton of barely used clubs that sell far below MSRP on ebay every day. Trust me on that, I have bought and sold four sets of irons, along with all the trimmings over the last six years that I have been playing.

Oh yeah, take a couple lessons now, They will sink in much easier than if you develope all you're hitches and bad form first. My buddy has been playing about three times a week for the last two years, two weeks ago he started taking lessons and in our last four times out he has not broken 100. He is about 10-15 strokes above his usual game while he is reworking his entire game.

I agree on going the used ebay route.

However... and this is just my 2 cents...

Buy your putter and your driver seperately... not a whole lot of advice to offer on putters other than you have to try a bunch out. I prefer heavier club heads on putters. For drivers... this is the one club I really feel paying more for a quality name brand will literally make it easier for you to learn and play, and you'll see direct results from changing drivers immediately in most cases. Calloway is always a good choice, but I also love LOVE Titleist. If you splurge a bit on a driver... it could last you forever.

The driver thing could really be that way for me because I'm a horrible golfer... so take this all with a grain of salt :)

Happy golfing!

Tim,

Try the Pro Shop at Fort Hood or Fort Sam Houston, they are usually very friendly and will help you out. Have them fit you for clubs or try out the major brands at the driving range. Once you find a brand/fit that you like, pick a type of shaft and go to a "second swing" golf shop and pick up a pair of decent clubs at a great price. I usually buy my driver or putter at the Pro Shop as a thank you for all the help.

Just my .02

Jason

Differently, if you are going to stick with the game invest in a average set and get them to fit you- After you get a decent handicap you might then think of a better set. You will appreciate the correct feel of hitting the ball and learn from there. If you are just staring out buy a set (used if possible) that way you can make sure this is a sport that you like very much. It's a very costly sport and can cut into your cegar collection...Good Luck !

When I got into golf I wanted to go out and buy a nice set, someone talked me into going to the web and searching for cheap golf clubs. I did and found a site to buy a set for like $75.00. I think i even got the bag for free with the set....

5 years later I am glad that I only spent 75 on my first set, since I have not seen them in 4 and 1/2 years, they are in the back of the shed somewhere.

Take the advice above, don't spend too much on your first set and pay for some lessons.