• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

good(expensive) cigars and newbs

gixxer

I'm really new to the whole cigar game. My buddy and I decided that we would get a good cigar at the end of the summer before we go away to school. I'm thinking Opus X, but I really wonder if getting something that good will seem any different than getting a 858 at this stage.

I'm really new to the whole cigar game. My buddy and I decided that we would get a good cigar at the end of the summer before we go away to school. I'm thinking Opus X, but I really wonder if getting something that good will seem any different than getting a 858 at this stage.

Couple things:

1.) Have you gotten into the Newbie Trade yet, as suggested by the older members? IT IS WORTH THE EXPERIENCE and getting to know an established BOTL and establish a bit of trust. Check that out, and maybe mention to the FOG who's handling you that you are interested in trying an Opus.

2.) Judging by your posts, you seem to be a fan of AF 858s, and Olivas. I don't know what you pay for these guys, but Opus is a bit more, which is why you're wrestling with the idea of buying such an expensive stick.

I will say, Opus doesn't "do it" for everybody. Some guys swear by Opus X, other guys will fight you if you say anything sideways about Padron Annis (I'm talking about YOU 42!). I would honestly recommending trying it out just so you can have the experience.

I don't know what types of cigars, flavor, or strengths you like because I can't see what you've got on your profile! :( The Opus is a stronger cigar, so be advised. I was told by people on here to "eat a big meal," and generally be prepared to be kicked in the nuts by the cigar. I'll be honest, my first Opus was a Power Ranger, it didn't knock me on my ass or thrill me beyond belief. I didn't reach cigar mecca, and I didn't much see the hype about how good they were. It wasn't until a month or so later that I tried another one again and began appreciating the Opus X cigar in it's complexity.

Buy a couple, smoke one NOW, then smoke one again before you leave for school. You'll see the difference. Let us know how it goes. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited to add: Tell ya what Gixxer, if you PM me and fill out your profile, I'll send you two Opus X's and some tag-alongs to get you started. Don't fail me now!

Probably not! But then again, it depends on your pallet. Usually it takes time, many cigars, to develop your pallet.

Be careful if you select an Opus... as Jonathan alluded to...ensure that you smoke on a full stomach, some Opus X will kick your ass and that's not what you want happen when you are celebrating.

Nice play Jonathan.

Brian

Couple things:

1.) Have you gotten into the Newbie Trade yet, as suggested by the older members? IT IS WORTH THE EXPERIENCE and getting to know an established BOTL and establish a bit of trust. Check that out, and maybe mention to the FOG who's handling you that you are interested in trying an Opus.

2.) Judging by your posts, you seem to be a fan of AF 858s, and Olivas. I don't know what you pay for these guys, but Opus is a bit more, which is why you're wrestling with the idea of buying such an expensive stick.

I will say, Opus doesn't "do it" for everybody. Some guys swear by Opus X, other guys will fight you if you say anything sideways about Padron Annis (I'm talking about YOU 42!). I would honestly recommending trying it out just so you can have the experience.

I don't know what types of cigars, flavor, or strengths you like because I can't see what you've got on your profile! :( The Opus is a stronger cigar, so be advised. I was told by people on here to "eat a big meal," and generally be prepared to be kicked in the nuts by the cigar. I'll be honest, my first Opus was a Power Ranger, it didn't knock me on my ass or thrill me beyond belief. I didn't reach cigar mecca, and I didn't much see the hype about how good they were. It wasn't until a month or so later that I tried another one again and began appreciating the Opus X cigar in it's complexity.

Buy a couple, smoke one NOW, then smoke one again before you leave for school. You'll see the difference. Let us know how it goes. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited to add: Tell ya what Gixxer, if you PM me and fill out your profile, I'll send you two Opus X's and some tag-alongs to get you started. Don't fail me now!

Very nice play soulman!

Gixxer, I know you're new so just so you know, this is an offer that I have personally never seen directly extended to any newb in my short time on this board. It may have happened, but if it did I missed it. You can't go wrong with this one.

Two important points raised so far that bear repeating;

- Queue up for a nOoBiE sampler. You will not find a better deal on a selection of hand picked smokes. These are graciously fulfilled by experienced members with good collections of smokes. There is NO BETTER way for a new guy to get a sampling of what's out there, and be able to try some of the different brands available. I did when I was getting started and you won't regret the decision.

- If you want to give an OpusX a try, SoulDog's offer is generous and should be taken to heart. Nicely done, SoulDog...!!.... :thumbs:

Have fun - B.B.S.

Couple things:

John,

Very nice play indeed!! Giving away Opus is quite unbelievable!! Again very nice play!!

Jim

souldog24ca = true BOTL

Great advice

Two important points raised so far that bear repeating;

- Queue up for a nOoBiE sampler. You will not find a better deal on a selection of hand picked smokes. These are graciously fulfilled by experienced members with good collections of smokes. There is NO BETTER way for a new guy to get a sampling of what's out there, and be able to try some of the different brands available. I did when I was getting started and you won't regret the decision.

x2 for the newbie sampler ...i learned a ton about smokes just from the great selection i had put together for me by theorangeman! the others who take part and help out us noobs are true BOTL and a great resource to learn from

Soul - awesome of you to give up an Opus.

Gixxer,

You filled out your profile dude, so good on ya. Second part is to PM me accepting the offer and your address/put it in your profile so I'm not sending these two Opus out into the wind... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:thumbs: Get on it!

Souldog24ca - good man. You're generous far and beyond the call.

Other suggestions. When I got my MBA last month, I sprang for a box of Partagas Mille Fleurs to share with my friends (what can I say, I have connections in Soviet Canuckistan). A handmade ISOM, but pretty much as good as it gets in the petit corona/corona size range. Won't kick your ass too hard and goes really well with a drink.

Probably not! But then again, it depends on your pallet. Usually it takes time, many cigars, to develop your pallet.

Be careful if you select an Opus... as Jonathan alluded to...ensure that you smoke on a full stomach, some Opus X will kick your ass and that's not what you want happen when you are celebrating.

Nice play Jonathan.

Brian

He is not lying I smoked one in the a.m. even had breakfast. My head was spinning for 2 hours.

Best Regards
Don

Just one note... (well, besides nice play, Jon. For a chick, you're not half bad)

The first thought that came to my mind when I saw your thread title is do not be confused into thinking that good = expensive or expensive = good. I understand you're looking for something to celebrate, so you want to splurge on something a little higher end.

But, there are plenty of inexpensive smokes that fit the bill for a celebration, and plenty of expensive smokes out there that (imo) are worthless.

I'd have to agree with Tom on this one. There are some great smokes that we would consider inexpensive that I would personally choose before running to an Opus. Opus just doesn't do anything for me. Everyones palate is a little different and I would go for something I know I would like, not something do to its rarity, price or reputation.
Smoke what you like, sometimes hype is just hype.

Jon's offer is a hell of a chance to try something you have never gotten your hands on. Take him up on it and follow the advice that all the Great BOTL's that have offered it.

I would say if you can find one for a good price and not from someone who is lookin to kill your pocket try one!! I my opinion expensive doesn't always equal good cigar. Pm me an I will hook you and your buddy with an opus on the house brother. If you like em', your on your own for more LOL!! But seriously shot me a PM>

You'll be a Pepin whore soon anyway so what's the dif? :D

Just so everyone knows, I did not pass up Jonathan's offer :thumbs:

When I wrote good I immediately realized I meant expensive, it's sort of habitual for me to connect those two even though I have learned otherwise. I was just far to lazy/crunk to hit the delete key.

Anywho, I smoked me an Oliva Serie V this evening and loved it. I'm trying to get a lot of smokes in before I REVIEW one of the Opus' J-rocks hooking me up with.