• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Good Retailer

stewa070

If you want some good blended tobacco try www.gatlinburlier.com I bought my pipe from them a few months ago and I love their tobaccos. They're in Gatlinburg, TN in the mountain mall. Check out the website and go ahead and order some Cade's Cove Cavendish. It's the dank!

Wow, they have nice prices on their house brand of pipes! Gettin itchy credit card...

So, would something like this:

http://www.gatlinburlier.com/index.cgi?tok...ge=smoksele.htm

be a good option for someone who is interested in trying pipe smoking? Are the pipes good quality? And are the blends they suggest good for beginners?

Those pipes should be better than a Dr Grabow which worked just fine for me when I got into pipes. Mine cost me $20 at the time many years ago. As for the blends...Some would be fore a beginners and others definitely not. But then again you may love those. Example would be the Cumberland...I wouldnt recommend a beginner trying this one. Another one I wouldnt recommend is the Smokies-Smoke-Ease. But its all trial an error tho.

They suggest Cades Cove Cavendish, Mellow Moonshine, and Newfound Blend. Are these three good for a beginner?

That looks like a pretty good deal for the money. If it were me, I'd go for the rusticated bulldog (pipe on the right) and Frank's Blend, Leconte and Mountain Mall for the tobaccos. Buying a pipe without being able to actually inspect it is always risky, so I'd ask if you can return the pipe unsmoked or smoked if there's an obvious defect like a burnout. Or you could just order their sampler without the pipe.

JMHO, but those three look like they'll give you a try at the 3 major blend types: Virginias, Burleys and Cavendish.

Happy puffin'!

Bob

That looks like a pretty good deal for the money. If it were me, I'd go for the rusticated bulldog (pipe on the right) and Frank's Blend, Leconte and Mountain Mall for the tobaccos. Buying a pipe without being able to actually inspect it is always risky, so I'd ask if you can return the pipe unsmoked or smoked if there's an obvious defect like a burnout. Or you could just order their sampler without the pipe.

JMHO, but those three look like they'll give you a try at the 3 major blend types: Virginias, Burleys and Cavendish.

Happy puffin'!

Bob

Hi Bob, thanks for the advice. I actually went ahead and ordered the blonde sitter (pipe on the left) and the three blends listed above on Tuesday. Everything arrived on Thursday, and I am very happy with it. I have only tried the Cade's Cove Cavendish so for, but it is a pleasure to smoke. Whereas when I smoke cigars, I try to blow the smoke away from myself, I found myself basking in the pipe smoke.

It looks like I'm going to need to pick up a few more pipes... :cool:

I just made my order, I ordered the bulldog pipe, and the leconte, mt. mall and mellow moonshine. Cant wait to get it :D

I don't know anything about aromatics, and I'm not argueing against that retailer.. but there are a lot of 'standard' tobaccos that aren't represented in their line up. .

They may well be serving a regional market that doesn't support a wide variety of choices.

Most English Blends are generally considered to be 'age worthy' and unflavored, and mix Virginia, Latakia, & Turkish.. and they're well worth chasing if you don't demand aromatics..

I'd offer the thought that for the sake of the store's long term business, FIRM suggestions to stock and headline a few premium English blends, (the old standards) and EXPECT them to sit around a year or two.. and CHARGE for the extra age..

(or not, i'm easy) .. it'd help give them a glossy reputation for their more demanding customers..

I visited them a few months ago,the owner is a nice guy.They serve a lot of tourists there so that may influence their selection a bit.