• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Good timer for fan's inside a fridge/wine cooler?

Toaster

Puff Puff Pass v2.0 2004
Can anyone recommend a good AC timer to control fans inside a fridgeador / wineador... My fridge has a large solid shelve in the center preventing humid air from circulating to the top of the unit, I do have the built in fans wired in on a dc wallwart style plug, and I tried the digital timer from radio shack, but it doesn't like the load of the fan's for some reason, whenever it tries to turn on the fans it crashes and resets. It will turn on a lamp just fine, but not the fans...?

I'd like something that would turn the fans on for like 5 minutes every hour or so... to circulate the air inside the 'dor.... but I have never seen a timer that will do that.

And before you ask: I'm using a Humi-care xg1000 large electronic humidifier, but because it's built in "pre-calibrated" hygro is very inaccurate, ITS FANS hardly ever come on unless I open the door. I need a little more custom control. :)

I don't know about the timer, my seems to keep a constant temp without it. As for the circulation issue, does the freezer section have a drip tray? If so you can fill it with beads.

My fridge is a wine fridge by Kenmoore, its the compressor kind, not the thermo-cooled kind, but it doesnt matter because it doesnt get cold anyway, that's how I bought it. :) so I use it just for storage, and I wired in the built in fan's and LED's to separate DC transformers, so the lights work whenever I open the door, and the fans I wanted on a timer... I find that when the fan's are on, the RH is steady across both the top and bottom sections, otherwise there is a little variants, if the hygro's are not lying to me (again)

I'm thinking about leaving the damn fan's run 24/7... I don't think it would hurt anything, and how much juice can they really pull.. I know I've got them wired in correctly, but for some reason the digital timer doesn't like them. When that transformer is plugged in to the timer, and it switches on - either manually or by schedule - the whole timer literally crashes, display goes nutz for a second and everything resets and NO the fan's don't come on until I press the "mode" button a couple of times.. If a lamp is plugged in that timer, it works fine. The only thing I can guess is the fan's don't pull enough juice from the transformer and it confuses the timer? While the lamp with a 60w or 100w bulb works fine.

THIS is the closest timer I can find on RS web site, but I obviously have the version from 1-2 years ago, so it looks a little cosmetically different.

pRS1-9532745w345.jpg

Ultimately what I'd like is a circuit that would turn the fans on for like 5 minutes every hour, or something like that... My electronic skills arent what they once were, but I seem to remember there was an IC that would "gate" current based on the amount of resistance of one of the legs... And you could do like 15 minutes on for every 60 minute cycle... but I didn't want to hassle with building anything, that's why I went with the timer route....

And like I said, up until very recently - its not been an issue... I'm just trying to seem cool again - that's all :love:

A couple repeating Interval Timer schematics:

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Repeat-Timer-Circuit.htm
http://www.zen22142.zen.co.uk/Circuits/Timing/ivt.htm

Are the fans shielded from the RS Timer?
Could be interference scrambling the timer signals.
Maybe use an extension cord to remove the timer from
the area of the fans.

Chemyst [cool]