• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gordon&Macphail connoisseurs choice scotch opinion ?

louich

The evil snowman
Hey guys. I just got back from the province owned liquor store and I found something 'new' to me.

They had some pretty nice distilleries offered like Caol ila, tamnavulin and others.

But Im kind or weary about stuff the distillers sell out to a thrid party. Are my doubts founded or not?

I probably have at least a dozen of them at the moment. Some are really very good.  Independent bottlers are a well received part of the scotch world and most have been around for 100 years.  G&M, Old Malt Cask, Blackadder, Signatory and more all fill a niche in the scotch world. I would say that you should buy a brand or two that you are familiar with to start and then branch out from there. 

Thanks for the great insight Ray! I knew I could count on you!

I dont know. Ive been into scotch for 6-7 years now and I never had any of the private bottlers products. Tomorow I'll try to grab a Caol ils from them. (being the Islay whore I am ;-)

I wouldn't think of the bottlers as the Prometheus of the whisky world.  Gordon & McPhail and others do some really cool stuff, and it's not all marked up ridiculously either.

You dont know the province liquor monopole dont ya ? Lol

How old am I? I remember when Canadian booze was cheap. That's how old I am.

Doc

Canadian booze is cheap.  This is Scotch :p

Well I triwd the Coal Ila last thursday and I have to say it was pretty impressive. Ill try more of their offering in the future.