• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Got a counterfeit, any tips for avoiding them?

americanfighter

Hey guys I am disappointed and pissed off a few days ago. My dad an I got a few cigars and he got a fuente work of art and it turned out to be a counterfeit. we were smoking together and he said something about there being a lack of the flavor he usually tasted and then when I looked at the cigar at his cigar while he was smoking it and noticed the dark gray ash as opposed to the very light gray almost white ash that normally comes from the Hemingway. As the smoke continued we came to the conclution that it was a counterfeit cigar. Its frustrating when you pay 7.50 for a cigar and get one thats worth about 2.00.

So do you guys have any suggestions for how to spot a fake when shopping so I can try and avoid this happening again?

Thanks

AF

That's not an easy cigar to fake...not to mention, it's not extremely pricey either...

You determined it was a fake because of ash color... ???

I hear of Opus Maduros, Opus, and anejos being passed off as fake....but a regular WOA, this is certainly a first...

That's not an easy cigar to fake...not to mention, it's not extremely pricey either...

You determined it was a fake because of ash color... ???

I hear of Opus Maduros, Opus, and anejos being passed off as fake....but a regular WOA, this is certainly a first...

No it wasn't just the ash it was everything about it. According to my dad Flavor the looseness wrapping the burn the draw it was all off. The ash was just something distict I noticed when I looked at it. it was nothing like a Hemingway WOA normally is.

Sometimes you just get a dud. I don't see anyone going through hassle of faking a $7 non-cuban cigar.

Stop shopping wherever you're shopping if your mind can't be changed, though.

I agree with John and Jake here. No one is going to go to the trouble of counterfeiting a WOA. They are easy to come by, they don't cost much, and would be a pain in the ass to fake. You just ended up with a bad one or one that just didn't perform like normal. You didn't get a counterfeit.

A poorly stored cigar can exhibit qualities similar to those that your father described. You may want to look at how it was stored before or after the purchase.

I had all those thoughts when I read this this morning, but kind of wanted to refrain from offering my opinion as I don't have the wealth of personal experience many others here do. So, I will now concur with the rest... I think you just got a bum stick. It happens. If you bought it from a reputable B&M, especially one you frequent with no prior issues, I can't see how they would suddenly have fakes in from their own suppliers. You may want to bring it up with the shop, though, and if nothing else they may recognize a storage problem they didn't know existed.

Sorry to hear you had a bad smoke. I hate when I'm disappointed, for whatever reason, by a stick I was looking forward to.

*EDIT* Spelling

I have come across plenty of Fuentes that were just bad, whether it's from poor construction/ quality control, or poor storage/ shipping conditions, I can't say. Sounds like that's what you got.

I'll chime in also. Sounds like a dud. I highly doubt you got a fake. When a scammer tries to imitate a product, they go after the expensive stuff like Rolex, Concord, etc. Same with cigars.

My suggestion is to go back to the shop and tell the owner your experience. See if he'll give you a discount on another one. Duds to exist in cigars; they're made of 100% organic material and assembled 100% by hand. It happens...

I'll chime in also. Sounds like a dud. I highly doubt you got a fake. When a scammer tries to imitate a product, they go after the expensive stuff like Rolex, Concord, etc. Same with cigars.

My suggestion is to go back to the shop and tell the owner your experience. See if he'll give you a discount on another one. Duds to exist in cigars; they're made of 100% organic material and assembled 100% by hand. It happens...

This is exactly what I hoped you would think. I've been plotting for years to make my fortune $7 at a time selling fake easy to find cigars in the domestic market! It finally worked!

Muahahahahahaha!

Any chance it was his first WOA Maduro and he just wasn't used to the change in profile?

That being said, I've run across duds... the ones I really hate are when you're trying a cigar for the first time and it turns you off of the line, only to try it again later and find you love it.

I'll say it then, it was because it wasn't rolled on the thighs of a true virgin. Bitch lied.

:sign:

Sometimes you can smoke the same cigar one night and the next evening, it doesn't same the seem. There can be so many factors at play. Before claiming it a fake, I would certainly try another, if you have one. I agree with the others that I highly doubt someone would waste their time manufacturing a counterfeit WOA. On a completely different topic, a comma can sometimes be your best friend. ;)