• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Goya Cigars

Steve*R

I've been contemplating buying a box of Goyas. One site describes them as:
(see post below...I ordered a box)
A complete Cuban Cigar (Filling, binder, wrapper). Well rolled cigar with strong-rich aromatic-taste. Very harmonic, Cuba-typical.

The vendor in Spain says the boxes are clearly marked "Product of the Canary Islands" and have no problems with U.S. Customs.

For many years I smoked Canary Island Havanas, but the industry virtually collapsed. Now there is production again.

I've never smoked Goyas and am wondering if anyone can give me a personal review.

Thanks

I've been wanting to try one myself. From what I've heard they have excellent construction, are full-bodied with earthy tones, but are kind of plain. They come in really cool black treasure-chest boxes that look really nice.

This is a major edit!!!
I tracked down another vendor. There are no guarantees, but the cigars are significantly cheaper than the original source. The shipment is insured for loss in the mail, but not for confiscation, though I doubt that confiscation is likely. The box says Made In The Canary Islands. Here's a copy of the confirmation email. Note the decent prices in Euros.

Dear Sir ,

Thank you for choosing Vendor Name. Order of

Ordered in 06-11-2003 22:45:04 (DD-MM-YYYY)
Quant. Description Price
1 Goya Nº 3 - box 25 74,82 EUR

Sub-Total 74,82 EUR
Discounts 0,00 EUR
Total 74,82 EUR

Delivery and Delivery Insurance of Priority Mail 17,88 EUR

Total Amount to Pay 92,70 EUR

In U.S. dollars that breaks down to $105.79, delivered for a 25 count box of clear Havanas (all Cuban tobacco rolled in the Canary islands)

The Goya #3 is a small corona 5 x 41, slightly larger in gauge than a petite corona.

cangoya03.jpg
kppena00.gif

I took a look at that website, I couldn't figure out how many cigars came in a box, there where 2 that you can choose from, one had a box of 5 cigars I think and that came to 30 to 40 dollars, and then there was a box of 25 cigars for about 160 dollars, is this right. ???

A word of caution, the decline of tobacco qulity from Cuba during 99 to early 02 box codes hurt Habano's sales. Do you think Cuba is going to export it's prime tobacco with out publicizing it? So, not knowing the full story behind this brand, you don't know the quality of tobacco. So, if there is enough interest, a box split would limit your exposure to a possibly bad product. Then again, if you like them, then you can always get more.

Emo

There's been much written about the decline of quality of Cuban cigars during the late 90s and through 2001. I've not read that the problem was primarily with the leaf, but rather with inferior processing and haphazard manufacture of the cigars. Castro needed foreign exchange currency and cigars were being rolled from tobacco that was insufficiently aged and/or hurriedly processed. Only in the last year has the Cuban cigar industry begun to use mechanical draw testers. Years ago, the fairest maiden on the rollers' floor would spot check the draw of each torcedor's work before the wrappers were applied. During the dark 90s, almost nothing was tested, and every box had a high percentage of plugged cigars.

Cuba has insufficient production capability to make cigars from all the tobacco that is grown on the island. And there is tremendous competition in tobacco sales from other tobacco producing countries. The quality of tobacco that is exported is very likely extremely similar to that which is used by the Cuban maufacturers.

As I wrote in my first post in this thread, I've smoked hundreds of Monte Canarios, Vargas, La Regenta, Penamil, Dupont, etc. from the Canaries made with Cuban tobacco. Most had Connecticut shade wrappers, but binders and filler from Cuba and they were outstanding.