• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

GPS and geocaching

NullSmurf

Das Bruce
Reaction score
Wife and I are getting in! I've been examining handheld units and am starting to settle on Garmin 60CSx, or possibly the discontinued 60CS. The features I've been told are a must are:

12 parallel channels
Jack for external antenna
computer interface
8MB or more of memory
multiple power - batteries or external plug
rocker keypad, a mouse of sorts
color
sealed case - water resistant.

Am I missing anything?

the 60CS street is about $145 while the CSx is upwards of $250. I can't see any difference between them.

I tell you Bruce, GPS handhelds have come so far in the last year that they're outdating themselves almost as fast as they put them on the shelf. With that said, for the purpose of your use, the new bells and whistles shouldn't be that critical to the most important part of geocaching and thats the accuracy of pinpointing your coordinates.

If you have something like a Bass Pro or Cabelas or some other major sporting store you'll be miles ahead going to one and handling the different models. Most of those stores have little kios's that are actually staffed by people from the mfg such as Garmin, Magellan, etc. It'll be easy to tell if the sales person knows anything about them...... these types of store usually have one or two that are totally up to date and the rest can't find the on/off button. Prob goes without saying, you'll appreciate a larger screen so try to balance the convience of a small light weight unit. Also, ask the Rep to go outside with you to see how much screen wash you get with full sun.

Try checking out the Garmin site for differences. Linky I did a quick look and didn't see the difference. They have their manuals online so you can check out all the features and operations.

OOPS Just found this doing a Google search on the 60 CS:

"GPSMAP 60CS -This product has been discontinued. The GPSMAP 60CS is an all-purpose navigator: lightweight, rugged and waterproof with a 256-color, highly reflective ...
www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cs/ - 90k - Cached - Similar pages "

That answers one question.

I have 3 Garmins and have been happy with both performance and service. Had to send the combo GPS / Fishfinder back. Flat rate to fix (I think they replaced it with a reconditioned unit) and very fast turnaround.

Terry

Thanks guys. We've decided on the CSx, because of the memory issues. The 'x' also has an upgraded receiver and processor. With the 1GB micro SD (already have one), you can load every street and topo map in the US. Wifey found one for about $250. A caching we will go!

good choice, did the study myself.

proud owner of the 60csx.

removable storage for streets and hunting/topo maps

you should be happy

Paul

Pops and I have the basic eTrex for hunting. Very basic, but easy to use!! They are pretty cool. The higher end models are stacked with options.

I found 2GB micro SD's at Office Depot for $15. Dayum! I bought 2. I wonder if the CSx can address all that.

I haven't bought one since my Etrex Legend a few years ago. More sensitive reception/antenna jack is a good idea, as the buddy I Geocache with has a Magellan which has always been a little more on the mark - not usually enough to matter, but on occasion it has been.

Turns out the critter will only address about 160MB of extra memory, and that on a 256MB card. With the 2GB card, it only addresses about 55MB. :angry:

I've had the Garmin for a while now, and I'm getting used to it. Comparing a real GPS to the faux-gps in my Blackberry is like compairing a Connie to an Anejo. The Garmin ROCKS. One second updates that are completely independent to cell network plus ~14' accuracy just can't be beaten. I was planning to go to a few geocaches this weekend, but alas, a rhino virus has me.

Just got a second hand Explorist Xl a couple of weeks ago. It's probably never been used from the looks of it. Now I just need Driect Route and Blu Nav and I'll be set. Don't have the knees for geocaching though. Have you checked out the forums at Groundspeak ?