• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Grand Cru Belgian style Ale @ BJ's Brewhouse/Restaurant

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
Well, this weekend I went to a friend's birthday that was held at BJ's Restaurant/Brewhouse, and had a chance to enjoy a very very good beer. From what I understand it is a seasonal brew that they feature only a couple times a year, so obviously I seized the opportunity. Here is the info listed on their website about it:

BJ’S® ANNUAL GRAND CRU

Style: Belgian-style Pale Strong Ale
When: January/February
Where: All BJ’s
Awards: Silver Medal at 2002 Great American Beer Festival; Silver Medal at 2000 World Beer Cup

Well, needless to say, I am not a huge fan of Pale Ale's by any means, and I find it odd that BJ's considers it a Pale Strong Ale. I found it closer to a Hefeweizen myself, in terms of consistency, color, body, and general experience. Anyways, I ordered up a taster of it to try out, and when I tried it found it delicious. I didn't let the first impression stay in my mind as I wanted to review it from a full glass, so I just ensured that I wouldn't be wasting my money first ;) Once I got the full glass, well, I will let the review speak for itself:

The beer came with an extremely small head on it, and a golden, milky appearance that reminded me immediately of a hefeweizen. This is a stronger beer, at 10%, and so my initial sniff of it turned up alcohol, with hints of fruit and sweetness, maybe even a little dab of honey. Very pleasing to the nose! My mouth was already watering as I took my first sip. The flavors exploded right off the bat, with floral, fruity notes hitting hard at the front, a good sweetness that was making itself known but not overpowering by any means, and surprisingly enough the alcohol taste was extremely subtle, though it was there enough to let you know, "Hey, take it easy...or I'll kick your ass!" I was loving this beer already, and lamenting that it isn't available year round or in bottles. The finish was long and creamy smooth, with no harsh hoppy bitterness or acidity (which is why I was confused on the pale ale part...). The beer left surprisingly little lace on the glass as I drank it, and stayed very consistent throughout the course of it, though I started to pick up a hint of spice to it as I began to relax and focus on the tasting. All in all, I give this beer a 10/10 in my book, I loved it and will definitely be going back before the end of this next week to get in another glass before it is gone again! I look forward to this time next year when I will be able to enjoy it again, and now that I know about it I will be watching for it to pop up!

I had the opportunity to try some of the Grand Cru a few weeks ago and I would have to say I think its closer to a heffy as well. Though I didn't think the beer was terrible, it was just a tad too sweet for my liking. I could probably drink a glass or two of it every now and then, but I wouldn't "need" to have it in my fridge (which is good because they don't bottle it!) Excellent review though, and if you haven't tried it you should go out to a BJ's and give it a whirl.

pale strong ale is a classification of belgian style beers. Pale strong ale as opposed to dark strong ale.

I had this beer and it was great. I got a couple of the special tulip glasses as well. They're really nice.

I must of missed this thread somehow. Anyway, I thought it was a really good beer. In fact, I have been really impressed with most of the beers BJ's has to offer. Its big and somewhat like a Buffalo Wild Wings with beer but it is damn good!

I must of missed this thread somehow. Anyway, I thought it was a really good beer. In fact, I have been really impressed with most of the beers BJ's has to offer. Its big and somewhat like a Buffalo Wild Wings with beer but it is damn good!

My favorites are the Piranha Pale Ale, Harvest Hefeweizen, and the Jeremiah Red. Maybe its only because I only had a small test of the Cru but I wasn't overly impressed. If they still have it tomorrow I'll get a glass and see what my second opinions are.