• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Graycliff Vintage '99

BobbyRitz

You're Fired, Daddy.
Is this yet another marketing ploy?

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDis...S-8WA&cat=3

From CI:

A rare vintage treat from one of the world's finest.

The story behind the Graycliff Vintage '99 is a good one; one which, as Richard Nixon said, has the added advantage of actually being true. Enrico and Paolo Garzaroli, owners of Graycliff, discovered approximately 60,000 finished cigars that had been stored away in what were labeled as cartons of aged tobaccos. These 60,000 cigars were the original Profesionale blend, cigars made back in 1999. I don't know how this stuff happens, but if you've ever been to a boutique cigar factory, I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. The day of their discovery I got the call. Without question I purchased them on the spot. These seven years of additional aging has turned a great cigar into an exquisite one. This meticulously well-made blend of premium tobaccos has married further into an intoxicating array of smooth, nutty flavors. The Vintage 1999 has achieved the ultimate balance in body and flavor. The pride of the Bahamas! All at a certifiably insane CI price (okay, maybe insane is over the top but it is nutty as far as Graycliff goes, especially for a cigar this special). As you can imagine, they will not be around forever.

$199 for 20 doesn't seem horrible if this sticks are actually 6-7 years old.

Thoughts?

I'm also very insterested in these but I havn't heard anyone talk about these personally(as in having them), and well the price kinda high for me right now.

I've got a fiver burried in my humi that I won from cbid a couple months back.

To be honest, I had completely forgotten about them since I opened the package and set them down for rest.

I'll try and smoke one in the next couple of days and post a review.

Never had any, but for that price it better be good. I had some CI Legends Purple made by Graycliff, and for a company that made that kind of crap (I don't know how much they got from it, but they probably didn't recieve a large profit) I have lowered expectations of Graycliffs cigars. So two things can be deduced (atleast in my mind)....

1) They are a company that think of profit first, if they are willing to sacrifice quality to put out such a mediocre product with their name on it knowing they won't direclty profit from it.

2) Since they are a company that prioritizes the bottom line, they will definitely make a cigar worthy of its respective MSRP.

But then again, I'm not the Graycliffe CFO, so this remains speculation.

What's interesting is that compared to the prices of other Graycliffs - these are an absolute steal. A box of Graycliff PGs go for more than $199 - I wonder why the price is less if they have been aging for that long.

Crotchety old man on..................

I think all this falls under the "if it is too good to be true...." axiom.

Bottom line is if you like'em and can get them cheap....then hey, great! Nothing beats getting a deal.

As far as the "we lost them in our warehouse..." story, I'm throwing the BS flag on that play.

I don't think any quality cigars or tobacco survives that long, just to be dumped on the market at cut-rate prices.

They probably sucked when they were stored away...they probably suck less now, but still....A dog turd that is 7 years old probably doesn't smell as bad and is generally less offensive, but it's still a dog turd.

"There ain't no Coupe de Ville hidin' at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box!"

Crotchety old man off............

Crotchety old man on..................

I think all this falls under the "if it is too good to be true...." axiom.

Bottom line is if you like'em and can get them cheap....then hey, great! Nothing beats getting a deal.

As far as the "we lost them in our warehouse..." story, I'm throwing the BS flag on that play.

I don't think any quality cigars or tobacco survives that long, just to be dumped on the market at cut-rate prices.

They probably sucked when they were stored away...they probably suck less now, but still....A dog turd that is 7 years old probably doesn't smell as bad and is generally less offensive, but it's still a dog turd.

"There ain't no Coupe de Ville hidin' at the bottom of a Cracker Jack box!"

Crotchety old man off............
Great post top to bottom. I've not heard any reviews on these that were good, that being said, I've never had one, the one I had, I gifted, that being said, I'm the last person who's qualified to give reviews on smokes. I just don't taste all the subtle nuances that some do.

But I have to agree on the BS flag, I just can't see how a company can lose track of so many cigars.

I find that lots of times when things like this happen there is a story about the cigars that they are not telling us. I bought into a line like this awhile back. I 'exclusive' cigar that was found "aging" in the factory was nothing more that one that was mishandled, or worst yet, left on the loading dock for five years to dry out. Someone once said to great opportunities like this, "Buyer Beware". There may be some great opportunities out there, but finding them is like a crap shoot.

Thousands of people bought into the Partagas 150 "hey, we found 100,000 year old tobaco aging in the store room" story and they became a great cigar. Greycliff cigars are great cigars as well...although the story may be somewhat true-unrtrue, they could be great cigars as well...and that is a great price for Greycliff-anything!

-Fetter

The Company prides itself on strict QC and aging, etc. misplacing that amount of inventory - no way. I have had a couple of their sticks and got no big taste extravaganza to justify their regular inflated prices and certainly not these robusto's. Sorry - jmho.