• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Great deal at Lowes hardware

bilder

We went out to price some refrigerators today and while we were in Lowe's, I came across a great deal on some cordless tools.

A Firestorm 18 volt 8 peice tool set, normal price $318 on sale for $219. Then there is a an extra 20% off all power tools this week. Final price- $175 and some change.

Not sure if this is a local sale or if it is available in the lower 48. If you need some new tools, this is a nice deal.

Only problem is now that I have a set of new shiny tools, the wife is expecting me to fix things. :)

I pretty much only stick with the big names like Milwaukee for the cordless stuff, well worth the extra money! :thumbs:

The Firestorm is a Black and Decker line. Not contractor grade, but for repairs around the house they will do just fine.

Don't push those tools to hard they won't hold up. They are made for light duty only. Do not recharge the batteries until the tool is completely dead or you will shorten the operating time. Replacement batteries can cost as much as the tools.

spend a few more dollars get the ridgid combo set from home depot. Almost the same specs as dewalt for half the money. Also, every tool and battery has a lifetime warranty.

I pretty much only stick with the big names like Milwaukee for the cordless stuff, well worth the extra money! :thumbs:

Milwaukee makes a great tool, cordless or not. I have had some of there drills and saws for 20 years now and they are still working great!! A good tool company. :thumbs:

I bought this one several years ago after burning through a couple of "name brand" drills from the local big box store. It kicks a$$!

Cordless Drill at Amazon

It came with 2 batteries and I've used it a ton...even dropped it a couple of times. It will drive a 3 1/2 deck screw into a 4 x 4 PT post.

I'm a weekender, but tend to be pretty busy with projects, etc. It gets more use than your average homeowner drill, but less than a contractor's drill.

We go through battery drills like chewing gum in our business. Drilling and tapping steel tends to put them to the test. Recently we've been using 18 volt Craftsmans and surprisingly they've been holding up quite well. The most recent Dewault that we had was a real dud. Reverse gear went out within a week or two of using it. After it was repaired, it just never quite worked well again. We've also went through a few Porter Cable which are nice battery drills. I've got Milwaukee Sawz-Alls and right angle drills, but haven't used any of their cordless tools.

If you are looking strictly for a cordless screwdriver, take a look at the new Litheon Battery Bosch. This thing is great for repetitve work since it's so light weight and the litheon battery works great. No memory and when it's dead it dead. There's no in between. It's not a drill, but it works great as a cordless screwdriver. Bosch is one of the better lines out there right now, IMO. But, everyone tends to have a favorite brand of tools to use. that's why they make so many, LOL! Personally, I never buy a hand tool by anyone but Klein or Ideal. Tool loyalty is probably akin to cigar brand loyalty, as well as beer, cars, etc.

I've had decent luck with a reconditioned Skil 14.4V drill thing. The only thing it can't do is the lugnuts on my car.

There's some guy on eBay who specializes in betteries and chargers for that line so I got a good deal when my cheapo charger and one of the batteries died (due to my leaving them plugged in for....a few...months).

I use it to drill holes, drive screws, tighten or loosen bolts and nuts, etc.

It's the first drill I've had that has a clutch, and that's nice to keep on a low level for just zapping stuff down so it's flush or whatever then slowly turning it up as I follow some random, made-up bolt tightening sequence (memories of all the bolt-tightening sequences I've known and loved....SBC head bolts of course being nearest and dearest)