• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Green Cigars vs. Green Beer

classyndry

on injured reserve
Is anybody breaking out a candela for St. Patrick's Day?  I bought a box of Don Thomas a few years back for a St. P's Party, and still have a few left.  Some of my friends compare green cigars to green beer though (gimicky).  I, personally, think they're an interesting change of pace.  I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a fuente 858 candela.  What are your thoughts?

For reference:

http://bonvivantva.com/?cat=4

I wouldn't say Candela's are gimmicky, they are what they are.  The few I've had...858 candela to be included, where actually quite good.  I don't have any greenies on hand though.

Barber pole is a gimmick. Candela I don't think is. I don't have any to burn, though and there's not enough green food coloring to make my dark beers green. :)

Got my hands on some Alec Bradley "Filthy Hooligan" sticks, and I've got to tell you, they are quite good.  Shared one with a friend yesterday....very nice smoke.  Not so mild as to be boring, decent complexity and a little of that Nicaraguan spice in the background.  If you're looking to try a candela wrapper, this one is easy to recommend.

Green beer.....ehh, not so much.... :p

BlindedByScience said:
Got my hands on some Alec Bradley "Filthy Hooligan" sticks, and I've got to tell you, they are quite good.  Shared one with a friend yesterday....very nice smoke.  Not so mild as to be boring, decent complexity and a little of that Nicaraguan spice in the background.  If you're looking to try a candela wrapper, this one is easy to recommend.

Interesting....I may have to reach out for a 5'er somewhere today and see if I can get them in. 

I enjoy the occasional candela, especially the Illusiones. Interesting to think that the majority of American cigars were candela once upon a time.

I'm curious, does the candela have a vastly different flavor profile?  Need to head off to the review area and then maybe pick one or two up to try.

Gavin said:
I enjoy the occasional candela, especially the Illusiones. Interesting to think that the majority of American cigars were candela once upon a time.

Yeah, thats why I included the links.  Pretty wild.

Gern Blansten said:
I'm curious, does the candela have a vastly different flavor profile?  Need to head off to the review area and then maybe pick one or two up to try.

I've only had the Don Thomas, but I definitely get the grassy flavor people talk about.  They are undeniably unique.

I picked up some of the LFD Double Claro last year to smoke this year.  I figured LFD's would have a bit more flavor from the filler than most.  Thanks for reminding me to dig them out.

The LFD are goooood.

As far as gimicky, no. Like Gavin said, candela used to be incredibly popular. At no point in history was beer green, nor can you get it that way naturally.

Brickhouse said:

Interesting....I may have to reach out for a 5'er somewhere today and see if I can get them in. 

I think you'd like them, Wyatt.  Nice change of pace cigar, I would say quite different than most of the stuff you and I normally smoke.  Well made, to be sure.  Easily worth a 5-er to try.

BlindedByScience said:

I think you'd like them, Wyatt.  Nice change of pace cigar, I would say quite different than most of the stuff you and I normally smoke.  Well made, to be sure.  Easily worth a 5-er to try.

Ordered them 30 minutes ago.....will arrive Friday.  :p

Got my Filthy Five in. They actually look very nice. I'll try and have one tomorrow.

There's gonna be a whole lotta green stuff being consumed in the mile high city this weekend.

:)