• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Green Mold?

CasaSoho

New Englander at Heart
After a stop at Tampa Sweethearts this morning I came back did a little inventory on a small humi being stored in my coolidor. Everything was in great shape other than this... ???

002.jpg

005.jpg

I have never had an issue with mold or beatles prior to discovering this stick. I ran my fingers across the discoloration and I didn't feel a difference in the texture nor was I able to spot any fuzz or spores with my naked eye, it's just green. I also found it interesting that it stops at the seem on the leaf and only appears on the edge.

007.jpg

I'm not sure of the origins of this cigar, other than it would have been gifted to me by another board member or picked up in a pass/trade. My concern at this point is what risk this poses to the other sticks in that humi and to the coolidor as a whole.

006.jpg

It's not mold.

Just a little green wrapper.

(A lot of pre 2002 boxes have sticks like this)

I don't believe that's mold, just discoloration of the leaft itself (much like green spots you see on many smokes). Never seen it on the edge of the leaf like that.

Smoke it! :D

(what Gary said)

"Green patches caused by imperfect curing are most commonly found on the delicate claro shade wrappers of Cuba and the Connecticut River Valley. They’re sometimes called “frog eyes” (not to be confused with the more damaging tobacco fungus called “frog-eye leafspot.”) They usually show up as small, relatively minor blemishes like those pictured abobe. They are clearly discolorations and not growths like mold."

Linky

edit to add link

So I would have had to of missed this every time I've looked at this cigar or can it discolor over time? Is it possible it's having an identity crisis and wants to be a candela?

So I would have had to of missed this every time I've looked at this cigar or can it discolor over time? Is it possible it's having an identity crisis and wants to be a candela?

Yes.

No.

Yes...or it could be a prince....kiss it!

It's not mold.

Just a little green wrapper.

(A lot of pre 2002 boxes have sticks like this)
Yep. What he said. Nothing more than a slight discoloration of the wrapper leaf. Smoke it...!!... :thumbs:

Thanks board! :thumbs: I knew you would have a quick answer for me. I've seen this before in very small spots on the wrapper, but this just looked different to me because of the quantity of green. Maybe I can find time to torch this one tomorrow.

I have about 10 Punch Churchills with little green spots like that....they taste good ;)

Its definitely not mold. Sometimes the strings they use will dye the wrapper as green string is one I have seen used when tying several leafs in the drying barns.

It definitely looks like a water spot possibly caused by the rollers fingers, judging by the size and location of the discoloration.

It definitely looks like a water spot possibly caused by the rollers fingers, judging by the size and location of the discoloration.

Nah... it's just part of the wrapper that didn't cure properly. Usually it's because it was stuck to another leaf or otherwise didn't get exposed to air properly during the curing process. It's not dye, and it's not on the edge of the leaf (remember that wrapper is cut carefully before being applied, so it's actually in the middle of where it was cut).

On a board as knowledgeable as this, I can't believe you all got the answer wrong. Look at the 4th picture, the one of the band. "HABANA" The green on the wrapper is obviously a byproduct of the weed that is in all 'forbidden fruit'. Come on guys, I know you're all smarter than this.

Bet that property law is a fun read . . . LOL!!

It wouldn't be so bad, if the professor didn't spend the majority of our time trying to get to the bottom of each case contextually. We are far behind on the syllabus and I think I've learned the most about (1) population boom of 1960's/70's San Jose, CA, (2) the Battle of Hastings, and (3) all of the strict textual conservative judges I will sit before. That book is a nutshell to provide information such as the Implied Warranty of Habitability and the elements of a perscriptive easement. I much prefer Contracts.

I'm a solo practitioner in a moderate size city and contract law is a large portion of my practice. Property . . . not as much as you think. Yes, you will have an occasional land-line dispute or adverse possession case, but it's rare that somebody walks in with real property law issues. Luckily, like you, I liked contract law. :D I started with an insurance defense firm and that was about all I did. I was surprised at how much it still applies when representing the general public.

It took me a week to get to it, but I smoked this one yesterday and it was fantastic. I'm not particularly adept at identifying charachteristics but the first 1/3 started off with a fairly straight forward cedar/tobacco taste, sort of a rich man's Quintero but much smoother. From there a very subtle sweetness opened up which I really enjoyed. I forgot to measure, but my best guess is that it was a Punch-Punch. The first of this marca I have smoked. It probably had 3-5 years of age based on when I likely would have received it. I just wish I had more or knew that a fresh box would be just as great.