• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Green Spots on a Habano

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
Recently bought a couple of Habanos and a few had green spots.

They were from June 03 if that helps.

Any ideas?

That's one of the tell tale signs of True Cuban tobacco. It has to do with the fermenting of the leaves and water droplets. How are they smoking?

Scott had one from that batch today and said it smoked just fine.

So we'll see.

One of my RA Gigantes had the same thing. It smoked GREAT so I wouldn't be worried. I think Smokozuna's got it right.

Where's Matt when we need him ???

Some people use those to tell if the cigar is fake or real, now that doesnt make much sense to me as all ISOM do not have those spots. But it does prove that the spots don't hurt anything.

I have smoked quite a few like that (with no problems) and still have quite a few with some spots on them.

Hope that helps a bit, fire one up and you'll see.

Phil

Yep, some of the best Havanas I've had were riddled with green spots. I've never seen this on a domestic. So what Habanos snob is gonna step up give us the real poop? :p :D

Someone said they are water spots on the leaves. I don't completely buy that because it's been known to rain in Dominica and Nicaragua on occaision. However, I've never seen them on anything but a Cuban.

Whatever causes it, it's like the little spots undergo whatever process creates a candela wrapper. My theory is that there are water droplets are on the leaves when they're laid out and the droplets magnify the sun and heat the spot on the leaf, thus creating candela-making like conditions. (The process of making candela wrappers involves heating them to "bake in" the chlorophyl).

I think it's simply because QC is lower in Cuba, or maybe they have a philosophy that green spots don't matter while in other countries they filter out the wrapper leaves that get spots on them.