• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Growing Tobacco in Arizona

tc7man

With all of the panic about the new Fedral tax, and increased State taxes on cigars and cigarettes, a lot of people are experimenting with growing and making their own. I have been making my own cigarettes for several years using the finest rolling tobacco available. Much better than commercial made, with no added chemicals. I also purchased some raw dried cigar tobaccco grown in PA by the Amish. It is used in domestic cigars and I have been practicing rolling my own cigars. It is not too difficult and I think with more practice I will be able to produce something acceptable. I have 2 cigar molds to use which helps a lot.

Curing the tobacco is a big obstacle for home growers. The big guns ferment it in large piles where it heats up naturally, but the little guy does not have sufficient quantities of tobacco to do it that way. You must then build a curing chamber where you can heat your tobacco to 115 to 130 deg. F. for a couple of weeks. You also need to keep it humidified to 70% during the process. This process drives off the ammonia and other volatile chemicals which make dry green tobacco taste like grass clippings.

I ordered seeds online from a couple of sources and planted them indoors in late February. I sowed several varieties, including types of cigarette tobaccos (virginia and turkish) and several varieties of cigar tobacco for filler, binder, and wrapper. Tobacco seeds are fine as dust and must be spread on the surface of the potting soil, kept covered, and only watered from below to avoid distubance. This is the most difficult stage of tobacco growing and I lost some plants due to too much sun exposure too quickly. Once the plants are an inch or two tall they can be transplanted into 6-packs for further growing until they reach a size (4-6") where it is safe to put them out into the garden. This is after all danger of spring frost is over. At this stage, tobacco is as easy to grow as tomatoes or petunias, to which it is related.

I have a Masters degree in Horticulture which helps me in my gardening and there are several online forums and websites on growing and curing your own tobacco. Yes, it is still legal to grow it for your own consumption in the U.S. with a very generous maximum quota which most people would never exceed anyway.

Here are some recent photos that we took of my little operation in the mountains of Arizona at 5500 feet above sea level.

gallery_4916_158_21195.jpg

Future Cigars March 2007

med_gallery_4916_299_57781.jpg

Main Crop
Mid August, some of the plants beginning to flower. Lower leaves are ready for priming (picking).

med_gallery_4916_299_356408.jpg

Main Crop
Plants are getting buds and are around 5 feet tall.

med_gallery_4916_299_119637.jpg

Hydroponic crop #1
I grew tomatoes hydroponically last year and it worked out well.
Tobacco seems to love it too!

gallery_4916_299_318911.jpg

Hydroponic Crop #2
The plants in the foreground have already been harvested completely.
They are growing back from the stumps for a bonus crop.

med_gallery_4916_299_229729.jpg

Cigarette Tobacco
Some Virginia Gold leaves picked today--some are 18 inches long. They turn the gold color when mature and ready to pick.

med_gallery_4916_299_242013.jpg

Foam container that has rods in the top to hang bundles of tobacco from. It contains an electric heater with a water heater thermostat and a humidifier with adjustable humidity level. Note vent hole in top. There is also one at the bottom to let air in. It will probably hold 5 to 10 pounds of dried tobacco. It runs for two weeks at 115 degrees and 70% humidity. Sure goes through a lot of water!
Over a gallon a day.

gallery_4916_299_6055.jpg

Homerolled Cigar-Pennsylvania Puro-2006 crop.
Not the prettiest but that will come with practice.
I smoked this one fresh to check if it had enough curing to get the nasties out.
It wasn't bad! Hmmmm-wonder what six months or a year in the humidor would do to it?

I just finished priming the lowest 2-3 leaves from each plant. They are hanging from the rafters of the garage threaded on a string to dry. There are several pounds drying so far.

Next installment will show more hanging, drying, curing and rolling. My objective is to keep experimenting until I come up with a good smokeable cigar. The cigarette tobacco smokes good already and is very tasty. For me it is just a hobby to keep my growing skills up and learn about tobacco and cigars. Maybe it will save money someday. :laugh: May share with friends if they meet my standards. :D

Thats awesome, congrats on the successful rolling, seems like a lot of fun.

wow, nice to see that this can be done (granted with alot of effort) by the average joe. good luck with the batch, hope it smokes well for you.

This is so cool that you have the time and knowledge to pull this off :thumbs:

Congratulations! I believe there are more then one guy here at cigarpass that would love to do what you are doing. Don't forget to post a review, once you have the final blend at hand. Keep up the good work! :love:

i'm amazed at this....wish i had the climate for it....

Congratulations! I believe there are more then one guy here at cigarpass that would love to do what you are doing. Don't forget to post a review, once you have the final blend at hand. Keep up the good work! :love:

I completely agree, you must at some point give us a review. This is the most interesting post I've read in months. Good work bro, keep that up.

And yeah, put me down for at least a fiver of that hydro. :thumbs:

Hot dog!!! That looks awesome. I got my first pod of seed this evening. They are purported to be of cuban lineage.. I'm gonna give this a go myself. Houston should be a great climate. The only thing I'm worried about is catepillars.

Great write-up and pics. Keep up the good work, and keep us updated.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Now do you have an agent and what will you be naming them? Don TC7man has a nice ring. :laugh:

Very cool and informative post! I can't wait for the next installment. I've been considering this myself and may just get started next Feb. based on your experience. The fermenting process was my main concern. Looks like you've solved that one!

Absolutely FANTASTIC! I have a large area under one room off the basement that I could set up quite the hydro area. I never even thought of using it for indoor tobacco growing.
How long have you been practicing with growing tobacco? Do you have a backround in agriculture, or is this new to you? --edit: just saw that masters in Horticulture....yeah...you are a tad more advanced than me.
I would love to give this a shot! Great idea with the fermentation "box."
If you ever feel comfortable with the product, I'd love to give one a review!

If you start lining the walls and ceilings with foil and only harvesting the seeds then...... :sign:

Absolutely FANTASTIC! I have a large area under one room off the basement that I could set up quite the hydro area. I never even thought of using it for indoor tobacco growing........

I agree fascinating one of the best posts I have read in awhile.

This is great stuff!! :thumbs: Keep this thread current with what is happening as it may be important for those of us who will try it in the future. We really appreciate you taking the time in posting all the pics and info. Looking forward to see some pics of the tobacco when it comes out of the fermentation box. Keep it up!! :cool:

That is very cool. I'm impressed. After watching all steps at a big farm, I really got a sense for how much work it is. Pretty neat that you have taken this on. I'll be interested to see how a little age effects the cigars and also how next years crop turns out!