• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Growing Tobacco Indoors?

txraddoc

After reading through the great thread about raising your own tobacco, I thought I'd give it a try. Of course, I started this process in late August so what the hell I thought, I'll raise some indoors. I got some seeds that are are labeled "Small Stalk" so I guess I'll found out what that means. I planted the seeds in late August and here is the progress so far. As soon as I transplanted the one on the left it took off! The two plants you see were planted at the same time. They are both under a four foot grow light.

tobacco01.jpg

I'll post images as things progress.

That is pretty cool. I wonder how that changes the flavor of the tobacco. :thumbs: Keep us posted!

I'm thinking of growing some roses indoors. I can't afford to do it hydroponically though, and I'm not sure I would want to as the margin of error is much less as the nutrients get to the plants much faster. BTW, where did you get the seeds? What kind of lighting are you using? I've never heard of anyone growing tobacco indoors.

I'm thinking of growing some roses indoors. I can't afford to do it hydroponically though, and I'm not sure I would want to as the margin of error is much less as the nutrients get to the plants much faster. BTW, where did you get the seeds? What kind of lighting are you using? I've never heard of anyone growing tobacco indoors.

Me neither. Thought I'd give a try though. I use a cheap 4 foot shop light I got at Walmart with two grow bulbs. I think they are called Gro-Lux or something like that. I got the seeds here.

I'll take a few pictures shortly. The plant pictured above has taken off and I have to keep raising the light.

I've got a 4 foot 4 bulb T5 light that I picked up from the local hydro store when it was on sale. The thing with growing is that you need to know what kind of 'climate' your plants desire. What kind of soil, how warm, how much light, how much light per day (cycles such as 18 on 6 off), do they want CO2 (dry ice is great for this and quite cheap). I would recommend getting some fans in there if it's in an enclosure as the plants like fresh air as opposed to stale air that's been in there for a while.

I've got a 4 foot 4 bulb T5 light that I picked up from the local hydro store when it was on sale. The thing with growing is that you need to know what kind of 'climate' your plants desire. What kind of soil, how warm, how much light, how much light per day (cycles such as 18 on 6 off), do they want CO2 (dry ice is great for this and quite cheap). I would recommend getting some fans in there if it's in an enclosure as the plants like fresh air as opposed to stale air that's been in there for a while.

Good idea on the fresh air. The plant I have going right now is in my basement that gets vented from the floor above. The grow light is on 24/7. It seems to love its condition right now as its grown almost a foot in the last couple weeks. I plan on putting it into a bigger pot in the next week or so. I'll post a new picture tonight. Not sure what I'm going to do when it gets really tall. Its kind of taking up a lot of space right now!

Growing indoors, you might want to wait before moving it to a bigger pot. I don't know if you have any space constraints, but letting it get a little root bound can help keep the plant smaller while still maturing like it should. Well, that works for other plants, not sure how that would affect tobacco...

Here's latest picture. I have two plants. One is called Little Dutch and the other is Small Stalk Black Mammoth. I'm not sure which is which. The taller plant is now about 18 inches high and taking up a lot of room already!

tobacco-2-102909.jpg

tobacco-3-102909.jpg

These two are about the same age.

Here's an update with two weeks growth. The Little Dutch (right) is taking off, forcing me to raise the grow light almost daily. Its about 3 feet tall now. The Small Stalk Black Mammoth (left) is growing a little shorter with longer and more narrow leaves. I am really surprised how well these are growing in small pots.

tobacco-4-111609.JPG

Thanks for the update. Growing in small pots is something that indoor marijuana growers have been doing for a long time. Still gets a high yield and the plants stay smaller. If you notice any die-back, that's a good indication of when to upgrade the size of the pot. Just don't go too big or it will seriously sprout on you. :D