• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gun advice

Now days Colts are way overpriced, and the quality has gone out the window. The colts that I have shot have problems. Jamming being a large one.

I'm always reading things like this, yet mine functioned flawlessly right out of the box. I really don't think they are out of line price wise either. Oh well, more for me. :thumbs:

Now days Colts are way overpriced, and the quality has gone out the window. The colts that I have shot have problems. Jamming being a large one.

I'm always reading things like this, yet mine functioned flawlessly right out of the box. I really don't think they are out of line price wise either. Oh well, more for me. :thumbs:
My uncle worked for Colt for 30yrs. A long time ago, around '75, he told me, "You know, we don't make 'em like we used to." The Colt 1911 is a great gun, but now-a-days it's a kit and needs to be worked over by a competent pistol smith. I put nearly a $1000 into mine. After market bushing, springs, trigger and all the honing that only smiths understand. I'd put it up against anything. At 50 yrds. bolted into a mechanical rest it'll put it's 7 rnds into a ragged hole. But there is no way an out of the box a Colt will do that in this day and age. I would recomend a Colt, but only as a platform for further tinkering.

Doc.

My uncle worked for Colt for 30yrs. A long time ago, around '75, he told me, "You know, we don't make 'em like we used to." The Colt 1911 is a great gun, but now-a-days it's a kit and needs to be worked over by a competent pistol smith. I put nearly a $1000 into mine. After market bushing, springs, trigger and all the honing that only smiths understand. I'd put it up against anything. At 50 yrds. bolted into a mechanical rest it'll put it's 7 rnds into a ragged hole. But there is no way an out of the box a Colt will do that in this day and age. I would recomend a Colt, but only as a platform for further tinkering.

Doc.

the springer i found was even one of the few still made in the USA!

I'm off to another shop before class starts, probably my last stop before I come to a decision.

Thanks again for all the help guys, it's much appreciated.

Doc.

If you say so. I don't need my pistols to shoot one ragged hole out of a mechanical rest, I just need them to hit where I'm aiming when I'm shooting. I'm not related to anyone that works in the industry, but I do know what kind performance that I have come to expect from the weapons that I own. So far, my Colt hasn't let me down. Of course, YMMV.

It all depends on what you want to do with them. I think a stock Kimber is better than a stock Colt as far as accuracy and function. You wouldn't need to tweak it and you could start ISPC just fine. I've heard you can pimp out a Colt to a fine race gun if needed. They are supposed to finish off better than Kimbers.

For the shooting most people (me included) do, I think either is fine at stock.

I have never understood the need to convert a 1911 into a race gun. Just do not get it, but that is me. But, I am the kind of guy that would rather shoot IDPA over ISPC any day of the week.

Tim

I have never understood the need to convert a 1911 into a race gun. Just do not get it, but that is me. But, I am the kind of guy that would rather shoot IDPA over ISPC any day of the week.

Tim
It was just an exercise in what could be done and all the rage at the time. Plus, we have a very good Colt trained gunsmith just down the road. He needed the buisness :whistling: I've never shot IDPA or ISPC. It's not a race gun. I was a Bullseye shooter (not a very good one) and in that discipline one's confidence and scores benefit from knowing the gun can out shoot you, or so I thought at the time.

Doc.

I made a purchase!!!

Thanks for the advice...I'll show you all what I got when I pick it up in 3 days.

I havent previously purchased a pistol in NV, therefore, it's a 72 hour wait. I think it's same day if you already have a bluecard.

What do you guys think of the S&W 1911 vs. the rest of those mentioned? It looks like they run right in the middle pricewise.

I have one of the first runs of SW1911 (with the "billboard" on the slide) and love it. I've had a couple other 1911s (Springfields) and this one is far and away better. Super accurate, reliable, and relatively affordable. I will say it could use a trigger job but other than that, it's perfect.

Mhm, our laws are pretty good, but as I said, this is my first time buying so.....

edited to add: Is it Saturday yet?

Tim
It was just an exercise in what could be done and all the rage at the time. Plus, we have a very good Colt trained gunsmith just down the road. He needed the buisness :whistling: I've never shot IDPA or ISPC. It's not a race gun. I was a Bullseye shooter (not a very good one) and in that discipline one's confidence and scores benefit from knowing the gun can out shoot you, or so I thought at the time.

Doc.

This I can understand.

Tim

Picked her up on saturday!!! Springfield GI....

Thanks again!

IMG_0107.jpg