• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gun Cost

do what you want, but I'm 100% confident in my gear and ability. are you?

yup. And in the semirural area in which I live, I'll continue to depend on 8 or 9 .30 Cal pellets going at once to protect my home and loved ones.

Still think a wheelgun is better for Bucky's situtation though.

If you do go with a 20 gauge watch the weight. Some of them are so light that the recoil is as bad if not worse than some 12 ga. shotguns.

It sounds like your mom should really be the one asking this question. She may not even be interested in having a gun in the house. It won't do any good sitting in a safe and if she's uncomfortable using it (not just with it's fit and finish, but in actually USING it), it could very well be either completely useless or dangerous to her.

Discharging a firearm in the dark indoors is quite the experience.

you got that right.. i've never fired a firearm indoors without hearing protection. From what I've heard, many people involved in shootings in their home have hearing problems afterwards.

anyways..

here's my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9784GdjrHo

3 steel plates at center, shooters choice left or right after center plates are dropped, 10 rounds per mag, requiring tactical reload at least once. left and right are 3 staggered targets requiring 2 hits each to score, shoot in order of threat aka closest first to furthest last.

I scored a perfect and won this round. Of course, I'm not up against pros or seasoned veterans. I just do it for fun. I was missing my mag pouch that day so had to use my pocket.

My shotguns are used for bird hunting. My pistols are used for defense and defensive pistol shooting fun like IDPA. My semi auto rifles are for defense on a larger scale. If I am going out of my house for defense, the rifle is primary and the pistol is secondary. In the home the rifle need not even come out. 30 rounds of 5.56 is the best defense for anything outdoors if you ask me. :)

I have guns strategically placed around my house. My wife is well versed in the art of shooting and knows how to use a firearm. We don't have any kids and when we have people over we lock the guns in the safe.

For home defense a shotgun is the best way to go. If you do get a handgun, get something that has stopping and knock down power like a .45 or .40
A 9mm or .22 will more than likely piss an intruder off.

Take a firearms safety course and learn how to use your gun.

AGGGGGGG you people who say shotguns don't overpenetrate and are easier to defend yourself with need to go to a range and shoot some ply wood and bring some turkeys from teh grocery store. you just see what 00 and 000 buck do to those. Then shoot those same things with pistol rounds and or a 5.56mm from an AR15. Set some wood up behind a turkey. shoot the turkey and compare the damage to the wood from the 3.

99% of what people think about is right for home defense comes from the movies.

fyi, any 9mm that shoots through 9 walls was using jacketed ammo. NO good hollow point will penetrate like that. NONE.

do what you want, but I'm 100% confident in my gear and ability. are you?

Turk, Shotguns are a great choice to go with. That's undeniable. They can be nice and short, they are easy to aim with, you are not going to need multiple shots, and I have never found someone who cannot learn to use one for a home defense scenario. if you are worried that much about overpenetration then you are just screwed, because your 10mm is going thru as well. If you are in a home defense situation and you overpenetrate the perp then it should be going toward a wall. It is not going to have enough energy to go through that wall too. If there is a friendly behind that perp then you are an idiot for shooting in the first place.

No matter what type of firearm you choose for an "around the house" gun. you need to be sure to take plenty of time at the range. I don't care if you won't be shooting past ten feet in your house, you need to be VERY familiar with that gun. The last handgun that I bought, I didn't start keeping it by my bed till I have put 500 rounds through it. I made sure that I was very familiar with it first.

If you want to go with a handgun you need to look for a few things in it. Is it reliable? Does it fit my hand right? Will it fit right for the other people using it? If it meets this criteria then it will work. You don't have to spend a fortune on one, but don't buy a piece of junk either. Buy a GOOD RELIABLE gun. Be sure when you are at the range to pay attention to any malfunctions. Hopefully you won't have any, but you have to be prepared for them. Learn the drills for what to do when you have a malfunction. You don't need to be trying to take down a perp and have your gun jam, and not know what to do.

If you are going with a shotgun just about everyone can handle a 12 gauge just fine. If they have a hard time with a 12 then just drop it down to a 20. I won't recommend anything Mossberg, but a good Remington 870 with a mag extension will get the job done. I would also recommend a shorter barrel for one. In handgun calibers there are a wide range of calibers available, if you go to a local range you will more than likely find plenty of people who will let you try their guns to see what you like.

I myself have two handguns around. One Kimber .45 ACP, a Sig Sauer 2022 in .40 S&W, a Remington 870 with 00 buck shot, a Rock River Arms Entry Tactical, and a long range rifle. I have firearms ready for multiple situations. Some call me overprepared, but I would rather be overprepared then underprepared. Hope these tips help you out.

Now be safe, and get yourself out to the range and PRACTICE!!!
B

What's better a .270 or a 30-06. :whistling: Fuggin' gun store cowboys.

Doc.

Let's assume pistols are out due to complication of use which leaves revolver and shotgun.

Shotgun:
Pros.......It's called a scatter gun for a reason and the shot pattern at "defense" distance is 2-5 inches wide as opposed to a bullet which is less than 1/2 inch in diameter thereby increasing your chances of hitting the target.

Cons.......Too long to wield in an instant

Will have a safety which will need to be deployed, and in the nervous situation at hand can lead to deadly delay.

Revolver:
Pros.....No safeties, no buttons, no foreign action required....just point and shoot. Shot shells can be purchased for pistols as well thereby increasing likelihood of target impact. Keep it loaded with the first 4 cylinders containing shot shells and the last 2 with bullets in case he keeps coming or making sure he knows he's dead!

Easy to keep in a safe, hidden, place for instant access.

Con's....You might miss.

A stray bullet could penetrate a wall and injure an innocent person.....buy bullets which mushroom on impact ....these carry incredible stopping power and slow down quicker on impact with building materials.

Take the stock off and add a pistol grip and it's pretty easy to wield. ;)

gun001.jpg

There are as many opinions on gun choices as cigar choices. What is best for one is definitely the wrong choice for many.

You are looking primarily for a defense weapon for your mom or grandma to use in a horrible situation, grandma clearing the house with a shotgun is not a good choice in my opinion. Simplicity is key for someone with little or no training and who will hopefully receive some decent instruction from a qualified instructor.

My opinion here is a weapon that can be hidden from view yet easily accessible, be picked up pointed and shot with simplicity. a revolver or double action auto fit the bill. Long guns require training to use effectively in close quarter situations and are easily snatched from the hands of a smaller weaker person if someone gets the drop on them, i.e. room entries when someone hears a bump in the night. A hand gun can easily be dropped in a bathrobe pocket to answer the door, as well as hidden in easily accessible places in a home without children.

As others have said training is absolutely necessary for ANYONE who wants a weapon for defense, there are plenty of woman's defensive hand gun classes if you look around, my wife has taken one and has a CC permit. I am a full time shooter as well as a firearms instructor, I can tell you the level of training and confidence with any weapon can make the difference. I train military personnel in the use of several weapons systems and very few people have a natural ability to shoot well without good, and recurrent training. My advise is to take mom and grandma (if possible) to a handgun class, and back to the range from time to time, it will be worth every penny.

I am in the same boat as you, I deploy very frequently and my wife is alone with my two small children in Jacksonville FL, so you bet your ass she has access to a weapon...or two.

.38, .40, .45 = with defense ammo. A good used revolver or DA auto can be found easily for around $300.

That being said I carry a compact 1911 in 45 acp off duty, and a Sig .40 for my job.

If I can help in any way feel free to shoot a PM.

see ya

Mike

Also thought about your gun laws, seems like a lot of permits will be required, as well as the necessary training. If possible, maybe a good size dog will work as well. My boxer is pretty protective of the home and knows when someone is coming well before I do, and gives a sound warning of approach day or night. He is friendly but wary of strangers, loves family to death, and a great companion

When I moved up to IL, we stayed at this seedy hotel that allowed dogs. My boy stayed up all night looking out the window and growling at passing strangers. Might be better than a firearm for mom and grandma or work better in conjuction with a firearm. It is just the expense of taking care of him/her that you have to think about.

I love my Glock. In the middle of the night, with Tritium sights, I know it will work if I ever need it. (God forbid.)
Train, practice, and more practice...and keep it up, regularly.
I use Glasers to try to keep down over penetration.

.308 doc lol shotguns get my vote anyone can shoot one back up against a wall put butt of gun against wall pull trigger even grandma.

What's better a .270 or a 30-06. :whistling: Fuggin' gun store cowboys.

Doc.

.270 will shoot a bit flatter at long distances...over 300 yards but does not have the energy that the 30.06 carries. Most .270 bullets/loads will kill dangerous game out to 400-450 yards, 30.06 will get you another 100 yards roughly.

I was making fun of the gun store warriors. There's no difinitive answer to the .270-30-06 argument. Jack O'Connor and Col. Boddington argued about it in gun mags for 40 yrs. Sheesh.

Doc.

I was making fun of the gun store warriors. There's no difinitive answer to the .270-30-06 argument. Jack O'Connor and Col. Boddington argued about it in gun mags for 40 yrs. Sheesh.

Doc.

40 years huh......and I figured it out under a minute ;)

Doc.

40 years huh......and I figured it out under a minute ;)

That debate is one that is pointless argueing, I have learned to simply give my "opinion" and why it's my opinion. lol. Saves MANY hours.
B

My .270 will kill anything I've ever pointed it at.. I feel its perfectly adequate for anything on this continent. Sure, you start talking about bigger game like moose and grizzly and I'd prefer a larger round, but it wouldn't be a 30-06. Probably a 300 weatherby mag.. on teh same token, my dad shoots a 30-06 and a 7mm mag. His will do the same thing. Personal preference.

Lastly, for those shooting frangible rounds, please test them personally. That includes glazer safety slugs and pistol shot shells. I'd suggest thawed out frozen turkey's unless you have access to a hog carcass. You'll find that the damage done by most frangible rounds is too little for what I would consider self defense. I'm not out to kill anyone, mind you. But I am out to make sure that they go down and stay down until the cavalry arrives.

frangible rounds have a high rate of failure, eg they dont' do what they're supposed to. And when they do, they're usually so light that they aren't very good at putting a man down. You may deter him, but not necessarily stop him. I suggest reading the pros and cons as well. I won't tell you they are bad, but I've tested a few personally on wild pigs from my 10mm. They didn't do what i wanted them to.

If they gave out service ribbons for battles fought in gun stores, some you would have a chest full. :laugh:

Doc.