• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Gurkha Ancient Warrior

NullSmurf

Das Bruce
Yeah, I know. They'll rip you off if you let them. Cavaet Emptor...

If you have the stones to play, and you like the Ancient Warrior, a bargain can be had at
CBid link
This is a lot of 150. They're offering a partial box (15 instead of 20). Perhaps they're trying to fake us into thinking its a full box in order to get you to go the full box price.

edit: corrected linkage

Hmm, not sure if it's me or not, but I certainly don't get CBid on that link.

I'll go manually. I love the Ancient Warrior, but I'll beware of what you said.

These aren't "real" Ancient Warriors that you get at your B&M. While they're not bad, they're not nearly as good as the ones you get from your local store.

These aren't "real" Ancient Warriors that you get at your B&M. While they're not bad, they're not nearly as good as the ones you get from your local store.

I wasn't aware that there are differnt "levels" of AW's. Do you have more info?

You can see the difference in the bands and packaging. The AW's on CI have red bands and are wrapped in cedar (Cbid AW). The B&M AW's have yellow and black bands, no cedar, and the wrapper is very dark (Gurkha site). The story I heard about the difference is that Gurkha was coming out with the AW line and CI jumped on the name before Gurkha gave them the go ahead. Also, the CI AW's are short filler according the story.

Wow! Very interesting! I saw the fdifference in the bands, but didn't realizethat that was far form the biggest difference! I have never had one of the CI AW's.

Thanks for the info.

The photo on CBID may not be representative of the sticks.

You'd have to confirm.

Harris (The Master) is right. It seems that if there is an angle CBid can use to confuse the buyer/bidder, they'll use it. Buyer beware.

I was also wondering that they didn't list a style and that the length and ring didn't match any Warrior I could find. I sent this:

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 1:41 PM
To: customerservice@cigarbid.com
Subject: description discrepancy

Lot #350787 is listed as “Ancient Warrior by Gurkha – 15 cigars, but the style is not listed. Robusto, Churchill, Torpedo, and Empoeror are possible. You show a size description of 7.5 x 54. I checked the Gurkha website and the Warrior is not offered in this size.

Bruce Thomas

They quickly answered:

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 12:55 PM
To: Thomas, Bruce
Subject: FW: description discrepancy

Bruce,

Thank you for being a Cigar Bid customer! The Ancient Warrior size that we currently have listed is a size that is made just for Cigars International/Cigar Bid. That is why this size is not listed on Gurkha's website. I hope this helps explain why you can't find this information!

If there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know. Have a great day!

The size offered by CI/Cbid is available only to them and it is a big 7.5x 54. This is not a short filler cigar and I, personally, haven't found any flavor difference between the CI and B&M versions. One of the better $3-4 sticks IMO.

The size offered by CI/Cbid is available only to them and it is a big 7.5x 54. This is not a short filler cigar and I, personally, haven't found any flavor difference between the CI and B&M versions. One of the better $3-4 sticks IMO.

I'm still in at $43.95 which still puts me just short of $3. I'll add a review if I win em.

They are two completely different cigars. I have yet to hear a plausible story as to why Gurkha has two completely different cigars with the same name, though.
The CI one is well liked by most who have tried it and the other one is generally well thought of, too. So it's not as simple as "this one is the imposter".

The CI one is a "blend of vintage Cuban-seed Brazilian tobaccos covered in a dark, reddish Maduro wrapper"

The other "sports a dark, spicy Brazilian Wrapper, Nicaraguan Binder with Honduran and Dominican filler"

I agree, they taste the same GREAT.

Well, I just won 2 (5)packs that I bid on yesterday before I read this post CBid link ...hmmm, all the controversy. I hope I do not have the bidder's remorse. I've never had em, so we'll see... :)

If you don't like 'em I'll take the other 5er off your hands. LMK

Well, damn...let me try one first when I get em. If I don't like em, I'll let you have a 5er, AVB, for $145! :p

I've smoked them both and liked them both. The only caveat is the CI one is "A" size so you have to have the time. IMO

I've got the lowest prices on the net (at least what I can find) for the Gurkha Ancient Warrior, all sizes, 5'ers and boxes of 20 of the real AW, without the cedar band.

Robusto: $69.95
Churchill: $79.95
Emperor: $89.95

Goyle
The Cigar smokin' gargoyle

Cigargoyle.com