• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

GURKHA... doing something RIGHT?

caf034

Top Striker
Soooo......
I like to read. I've had a few looks at other reviews of Gurkha cigars and with a sampler pack in the box, decided to smoke my churchill Legend last night. The Gurkha lines seem to hit everyone in a different spot. For some, as I've read, that spot got hit by a baseball a couple years ago and still hurts to this day. Unpleasant. For others, however, it's that same spot touched by a warm chocolate chip cookie or a hearty beef stew.

It so happens, the Gurkha Legend Churchill I burnt down last night hit the good spot. It might have been a combination of circumstances which ultimately led to my great satisfaction, but I'd like to think the cigar had something to do with it. So let's get down to it.

The situation was surprisingly usual... a short night of bartending work and I'm at home watching some TiVoed soccer matches and half-assedly studying for a worthless Geography exam. I needed something to keep me going, and the chocolate chip cookies with peanut-butter, marshmallow fluff, and fudge topping weren't hitting the spot (...ironic, right?).

This damned Legend Churchill lit up my nose with aromas of the forest. Fresh chopped wood and a bit of a grassy character. For those of us impressed by musk factor in a good cigar, you know what I mean. I might be a newb, but I'm a young chef with an arrogantly mature palate.

From the second the flame hit, the room filled with the pungent, musky odor (and odor it is, as my girlfriend didn't hesitate to let me know.) I lit it with proper precision: a 30-second toast and a few puffs with my flame no less than an inch away (am I doing it right, guys?). The burn was perfect. No runs and no touch-ups. Could have been the light, but again, I'd like to think the cigar had something to do with it.

The taste wasn't exceptionally complex, but it was what I needed. The cedar of the humidor really helped this bad boy out, adding a woodsy depth to the already musky perfume of the stick. Letting smoke out of my nose really helped to spread it out, and the flavors and aromas persisted through to the end. I smoked it to the nub, with heat only scorching my throat at about the last inch or so.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that under the right circumstances, an everyday cigar can be just as good as one of your premium specials. This cigar gave me exactly what I was looking for, and although I can't deny that all of last night's factors amalgamated into an altogether satisfying smoking experience, I would still suggest this cigar to anyone looking to spend a good hour and a half on a quality stick.

I know I haven't used the most cigar-savvy terminology, as I am relatively new to the world of cigar luxury. This, in time, will come. I hope to keep up with these reviews of mine, and that all who have read this one have enjoyed it. Don't judge a cigar by its pricetag, by its brand name, or even by reputation, because one night the stars might align when all you have is a Dutchmaster from your local Chevron in your glovebox, and it'll straight up make your day. Well, maybe I've crossed the line. ;)

Nice Review I have a gurkha shaggy foot in my humi I have been putting of trying rp

I've always like Gurkhas in general but the Legends are one of their better ones.

I've always like Gurkhas in general but the Legends are one of their better ones.

x2. I've shied away from some of Gurkhas blends, but for the price point, hard to beat. Some of their cigars are quite surprisingly good, the Legend being one of them.

Nice review guy! Keep it up! I haven't had one of the legends yet but I am also a little hit and miss with the Gurkhas.

I found the G3's to be an excellent smoke. I recently read some good reviews on the Ancient Warrior so i ordered a 5 pack 6 x 60 from Famous Smokes and when I tried the first one I was disappointed with the flavor and burn. I'll let the rest sit in my humi and see what happens the next time.

I have been trying to figure out a reason as to why I don't like most of this brand....

Musk, more specifically, stale musk.

Thank you for that.

I rather like the CT Reserve - pleasant, good burn, nice flavor in the mild range. I have a few waiting from a Henryscigar bomb, including the doble maduro; more to the point, I'm not sure how they do in the full range. I'd like to try the Nepalese Warrior, the Class Regent made with a cameroon wrapper instead of a H2000, sometime.

I rather like the CT Reserve - pleasant, good burn, nice flavor in the mild range. I have a few waiting from a Henryscigar bomb, including the doble maduro; more to the point, I'm not sure how they do in the full range. I'd like to try the Nepalese Warrior, the Class Regent made with a cameroon wrapper instead of a H2000, sometime.

Cigars on the way. Hope you enjoy.

Whatch cigarbid. They usually have a good selection of Gurka's available. The napalese warrior and the legend are two of their best, get either of them for under $3 ea and you've got a good deal....IMHO....

Damn, that wasn't a solicitation, just an elaboration of my future intentions. But thank you.

As for the tasting off ... I've found that cameroon can be a bit inconsistent in terms of quality. Sometimes it's amazing, sometimes not so much. What RH do you guys store at?

"Fresh chopped wood..." That's good stuff. Brings a lot of great scents to mind. Best sh.t of the day actually, thanks.

thanks for all the good response everybody, i'll try and have another review up soon. btw, i've made it clear that i'm a cigar newb regardless of what i think i can say about a cigar, so any suggestions for other stuff i'd like as i post these reviews is always appreciated. happy holidays, and full humidors to all!